Doea anybody actually sell anything on pink bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Doea anybody actually sell anything on pink bike
Posted: Jan 28, 2017 at 17:32 Quote
knischewsky0 wrote:
because all the price of USED bike are crazy high, people saying it a top level bike with entry level deore parts.

so I ask "does anybody actually sell anything on here?"

I have sold 3 bikes on here with good results. Just because someone puts a listing price, that doesn't mean they are actually going to get it. It's a starting point for a little back and forth. Detailed pictures honesty and knowing how to properly ship a bike goes a long way.

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 9:50 Quote
I have sold a couple bikes through here. I did sell for a lot less than I paid, but I also got some use out of the bikes. I try to use bike blue book to get a general idea of bike value, and go from there.

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 12:37 Quote
I know this is going to turn into a rant, but here goes...

I sell a ton of stuff on Pinkbike. I've only ever had one problem buyer. I don't really inflate my prices to account for hagglers because so far, i've found buyers here to be pretty reasonable. I also sell my stuff on ebay but I actually inflate my prices there because of their exhorbitant fees. I find that I have more success on ebay with components and small stuff, and more success here with frames/forks/wheels.

Buyers:

- Always make an offer. If you find something you want that is way overpriced, make an offer in the range where it has been selling (you can use ebay as a reference for what stuff sells for). There are plenty of sellers that just have a ridiculous idea of what they will be able to get, but then there are others who are just ecstatic to receive an offer at all.

- NEVER ask a seller for their "best price". That's the best way to guarantee that you will not get their best price.

- Be patient. If you can't do this, then go to CRC or your LBS. The best deals are had from sellers that are tired of waiting for their stuff to sell and just want to get rid of it.

- Have money ready...don't try to make a deal on the promise that you'll pay on friday. Those promises mean ZERO to me because I have yet to see a single one result in payment...ever.

Sellers:

- If you want to actually sell your stuff, RESPOND to inquiries. For God's sake, this is the most frustrating phenomenon i've ever experienced. I just recently tried to help a friend buy a bike and it took SEVEN different listings...the first two NEVER EVEN RESPONDED (and yes, they were updated listings). The next two responded AFTER I made a deal with the seventh guy (roughly a month and a half later).

- A new stem, saddle, and rear tire does not equate to "TONS OF UPGRADES". An Enve riser bar does not turn your Enduro Comp into an S-Works. In fact it does absolutely nothing for resale value.

- If your bike has been listed at the same price for three months and you haven't gotten a solid offer, that means it's time for a price drop. I don't care that you paid $8000 for it last year. You paid too much, and now reality is going to kick you in the nuts. Deal with it or just keep it.

- If you want to sell your bike on the internet, you need to be willing to ship. It's not hard. Pretty much any bike shop will take your bike and box it for your for $50. Fedex does it even cheaper. If you aren't willing to ship, use craigslist.

- PICTURES. My God. Why even bother to list a bike if you don't have pictures? There are tons of people who will help you out with uploading pictures. Obviously absolutely no one is going to buy a bike without pictures.

- More about pictures - thumbnails are not pictures. They won't sell a bike. Clean your bike...yes we know mountain bikes are made to get dirty. That doesn't mean they will sell dirty. THE NUMBER ONE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU NEED TO SELL YOUR BIKE are alot of big, bright, detailed pictures of your CLEAN bike. Not even a brand new set of Enves will sell a bike as quickly as good pictures.

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 18:01 Quote
its quite simple, if someone lists it as firm i take it as firm, there are "reasonable offers" and "any offer" options. if you don't like the price move on to the next ad. I really like dealing with people on pinkbike, so much better than craigslist.

i find living in a big mountain biking community there are lots of options to sell locally, if its something smaller and not too much of a pita i'll ship it.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 18:31 Quote
imho4ep wrote:
its quite simple, if someone lists it as firm i take it as firm, there are "reasonable offers" and "any offer" options. if you don't like the price move on to the next ad. I really like dealing with people on pinkbike, so much better than craigslist.

i find living in a big mountain biking community there are lots of options to sell locally, if its something smaller and not too much of a pita i'll ship it.

I have still asked if it says firm and gotten some deals. Depends how long its been up.

I get most of my parts here cause ebay/craigslist pricing is worse. Only thing that i hate is there is good deals if you pick up in Canada, Unfortunately I cant.

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 20:47 Quote
Xorrox wrote:
knischewsky0 wrote:
because all the price of USED bike are crazy high, people saying it a top level bike with entry level deore parts.

I've bought and sold a few small parts here and there but I agree that most of the used bikes, frames, wheels and suspension parts on Pinkbike are very overpriced for used. I also would be interested to know if anyone buys or sells these anywhere near their asking price.

As far as I'm concerned, as soon as you ride your bike, frame or other major part, you just cut 50% from it's new retail price and that is if it doesn't have any scratches or marks. I'd rather buy some major part new with a warranty rather than risk buying used, especially if it's sight unseen so there better be a substantial discount for taking the risk of buying online.

The funny thing is I often see major new parts on sale at Chain Reaction or Jenson for the same or less than some people are trying to flog their used equipment on Pinkbike.
So you think a Bike shop should drop the price on their floor bikes by half as soon as the first test ride comes back?????? Man... I wish!!!!! I'd be test riding and buying new bikes at half off ALL DAY LONG!!!

Get a grip guys, resale on bikes is high because consumers spend money on things and want to recover some of it back... be realistic. Near full retail for a nice, barely ridden bike is acceptable... now if it's a straight up hunker or has been ridden significantly, then yeah, expect a hefty price drop.

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 21:03 Quote
SILENTNINJAONE wrote:
Xorrox wrote:
knischewsky0 wrote:

I've bought and sold a few small parts here and there but I agree that most of the used bikes, frames, wheels and suspension parts on Pinkbike are very overpriced for used. I also would be interested to know if anyone buys or sells these anywhere near their asking price.

As far as I'm concerned, as soon as you ride your bike, frame or other major part, you just cut 50% from it's new retail price and that is if it doesn't have any scratches or marks. I'd rather buy some major part new with a warranty rather than risk buying used, especially if it's sight unseen so there better be a substantial discount for taking the risk of buying online.

The funny thing is I often see major new parts on sale at Chain Reaction or Jenson for the same or less than some people are trying to flog their used equipment on Pinkbike.
So you think a Bike shop should drop the price on their floor bikes by half as soon as the first test ride comes back?????? Man... I wish!!!!! I'd be test riding and buying new bikes at half off ALL DAY LONG!!!

Get a grip guys, resale on bikes is high because consumers spend money on things and want to recover some of it back... be realistic. Near full retail for a nice, barely ridden bike is acceptable... now if it's a straight up hunker or has been ridden significantly, then yeah, expect a hefty price drop.

i couldn't agree more, i bet the guy that posted that would never list anything near new for 50% off.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 21:07 Quote
TheRaven wrote:

- NEVER ask a seller for their "best price". That's the best way to guarantee that you will not get their best price.

I hate these questions so much. I obviously listed the thing for the best price for me, Im not going to lowball myself.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 23:03 Quote
1) Lightly used bikes (demos etc) at LBS would presumably still have a full warranty. A used bike bought sight unseen from a private seller on PB? Not so much.

2) There is a far bigger risk buying used, sight unseen online on PB (or anywhere else) than in person. If the price is not low enough to make it worth while, why would I bother? For me, that means at least 50% below the retail list price on current bikes and major components. Keep in mind that you can get most new bikes and components for 20-25% off if you wait for the end of the season sales or even more if you shop around with all the online retailers.

I'll give you 2 examples of how f'd up the used pricing on PB is. I was looking around for a replacement shock for my bike but all the used ones on PB were around 60 to 70% of new list. So instead I kept my eye out for sales with my favorite online retailers and ended up picking one up new for 45% off list at Jenson USA.

Another example: I've been looking around for a new enduro bike frame to build up and one option I was looking at was the Knolly Warden. Again, most of the used frames and bikes of this model on PB are going for the standard ridiculous 75% or more of new list. Then I came across CRC selling these frames new at 55% off! Why would I ever buy used at typical PB prices when I can buy the same or something similar new with warranty from a legit online retailer?

Just because you paid full price for something (or think you're somehow special because you got a "bro" deal so you're going to pass along the favor by riding the bike all summer and then try selling it for what you paid) does not mean I'm going to pay these used prices when I can be patient and get the same or a better deal on a new bike or component elsewhere.

Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 9:22 Quote
Xorrox wrote:
1) Lightly used bikes (demos etc) at LBS would presumably still have a full warranty. A used bike bought sight unseen from a private seller on PB? Not so much.

2) There is a far bigger risk buying used, sight unseen online on PB (or anywhere else) than in person. If the price is not low enough to make it worth while, why would I bother? For me, that means at least 50% below the retail list price on current bikes and major components. Keep in mind that you can get most new bikes and components for 20-25% off if you wait for the end of the season sales or even more if you shop around with all the online retailers.

I'll give you 2 examples of how f'd up the used pricing on PB is. I was looking around for a replacement shock for my bike but all the used ones on PB were around 60 to 70% of new list. So instead I kept my eye out for sales with my favorite online retailers and ended up picking one up new for 45% off list at Jenson USA.

Another example: I've been looking around for a new enduro bike frame to build up and one option I was looking at was the Knolly Warden. Again, most of the used frames and bikes of this model on PB are going for the standard ridiculous 75% or more of new list. Then I came across CRC selling these frames new at 55% off! Why would I ever buy used at typical PB prices when I can buy the same or something similar new with warranty from a legit online retailer?

Just because you paid full price for something (or think you're somehow special because you got a "bro" deal so you're going to pass along the favor by riding the bike all summer and then try selling it for what you paid) does not mean I'm going to pay these used prices when I can be patient and get the same or a better deal on a new bike or component elsewhere.
Then don't pay the higher asking price and wait for your deal to roll around. I'm not Hardin on you, I'm just reasoning as to why prices aren't 50 percent off retail......

Oh, and by the way, I have had warranty service on used bikes before. You just have to know how to talk to a warranty department and most of the time they will bend over backwards to get things done for you, especially if the company is large.

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 20:38 Quote
SILENTNINJAONE wrote:
Then don't pay the higher asking price and wait for your deal to roll around. I'm not Hardin on you, I'm just reasoning as to why prices aren't 50 percent off retail......

Fair enough.

Quite likely my next bike will be a new one bought on an end of year closeout. I'll part out the still new components that I don't want and then build it up the way I want it.

That is unless someone has a used size medium Transition Patrol Carbon or YT Capra Carbon frame they want to get rid of for 50% of list ........crickets. Confused Rolleyes Dead Horse

Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 23:22 Quote
Xorrox wrote:
SILENTNINJAONE wrote:

Fair enough.

Quite likely my next bike will be a new one bought on an end of year closeout. I'll part out the still new components that I don't want and then build it up the way I want it.

That is unless someone has a used size medium Transition Patrol Carbon or YT Capra Carbon frame they want to get rid of for 50% of list ........crickets. Confused Rolleyes Dead Horse

That's the way I built my remedy this year.... started with a 2017 Remedy 7 and swapped everything but the shock, frame, and dropper post... way more affordable than going the remedy 9 rsl route for a nicer build.

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 7:54 Quote
[Quote="TheRaven"]

Sellers:

- If you want to actually sell your stuff, RESPOND to inquiries. For God's sake, this is the most frustrating phenomenon i've ever experienced. I just recently tried to help a friend buy a bike and it took SEVEN different listings...the first two NEVER EVEN RESPONDED (and yes, they were updated listings). The next two responded AFTER I made a deal with the seventh guy (roughly a month and a half later).
[Quote="TheRaven"]

EXACTLY. Aggravating as hell to waste your time responding to a seller's ad and they never get back with you, several days later you check and yep, they've reposted their ad.

Another peeve is people running light on details. Seriously? Its like they're trying not to sell the bike or whatever.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 7:01 Quote
Xorrox wrote:
Fair enough.

Yup...just like with new prices - complaining about it will get you nowhere. The most effective thing you can do is simply move on and find a better deal. The free market is what dictates prices, nothing else. A given seller will get what their bike is worth, and nothing more...doesn't matter what they list it for. They will either take market price or it just won't sell.

For this reason I generally don't sell complete bikes...you CAN get good money for a bike parting it out. Yes it's alot of work, but when we are talking about $2k plus machines, it's well worth the time. The last bike I tried to sell complete (2012 Firebird) I initially listed for $2200. I dropped it all the way to $1400 with no takers. I then parted it and made $2800.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 7:56 Quote
TheRaven wrote:
Xorrox wrote:
Fair enough.

Yup...just like with new prices - complaining about it will get you nowhere. The most effective thing you can do is simply move on and find a better deal. The free market is what dictates prices, nothing else. A given seller will get what their bike is worth, and nothing more...doesn't matter what they list it for. They will either take market price or it just won't sell.

For this reason I generally don't sell complete bikes...you CAN get good money for a bike parting it out. Yes it's alot of work, but when we are talking about $2k plus machines, it's well worth the time. The last bike I tried to sell complete (2012 Firebird) I initially listed for $2200. I dropped it all the way to $1400 with no takers. I then parted it and made $2800.

yeah thats what i did last time too, another advantage or parting out is {other than the frame} you are opening the market to any buyer of any size as opposed to selling say an XL framed bike like me with a small demand.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.317967
Mobile Version of Website