Coil on Bronson V2

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Coil on Bronson V2
| Next Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
I just wanted to dig up this old thread and say Bronson v2 with Fox DHX2 is truly awesome. So much better than the Float X I had before. More support, better in the rough, still plenty playful = epic.

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
Haha, same! Still running an X-Fusion Vector coil shock on mine (and a coil-converted metric and 26x2.8 rear tire paired with 27.5x2.8 up front, but that’s another story)

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 16:17 Quote
A bit off topic but i have a 2017 Bronson v2 I am running wth a cane creek in-line (original air version) and I have been unable to get a good mid stroke platform on it. I have lots of air spacers in the air can to try and get any form of support but no luck. . I have lots of LSC to try and get a platform to push against and both my rebound adjusters are pretty much full open. Every time I try to pump or jump it just blows through the travel. I am not sure if this is a shock issue, a spring rate issue or suspension design flaw?
I have been looking to try a new shock I am surprised to hear people are having good luck with coil shock as I was thinking the linear nature of coil shocks would have a similar issue with no midstroke support to press against when pumping the trail.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 20:09 Quote
madocreg2 wrote:
A bit off topic but i have a 2017 Bronson v2 I am running wth a cane creek in-line (original air version) and I have been unable to get a good mid stroke platform on it. I have lots of air spacers in the air can to try and get any form of support but no luck. . I have lots of LSC to try and get a platform to push against and both my rebound adjusters are pretty much full open. Every time I try to pump or jump it just blows through the travel. I am not sure if this is a shock issue, a spring rate issue or suspension design flaw?
I have been looking to try a new shock I am surprised to hear people are having good luck with coil shock as I was thinking the linear nature of coil shocks would have a similar issue with no midstroke support to press against when pumping the trail.

Coil can have more midstroke support than air. i would try a different shock (air or coil) though as it sounds like that just isnt working. Float X2 is good on the bronson

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 at 20:20 Quote
madocreg2 wrote:

1. The motion ratio curve of the Bronson v2 has a severe mid-stroke "hammock". It is impossible to get much mid-stroke support from this design.
2. Reducers are the opposite of what you need. They add support at the end of the stroke, which means less support everywhere else when comparing set-ups with comparable bottom-out resistance.
3. Large negative springs in air shocks help and coil springs will always have more mid-stroke support than a single-chamber air shock. As per point #2, by having less support at the end of the stroke (i.e. less ramp-up), a coil spring has more support everywhere else (ex. the middle).

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 6:48 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
madocreg2 wrote:

1. The motion ratio curve of the Bronson v2 has a severe mid-stroke "hammock". It is impossible to get much mid-stroke support from this design.
2. Reducers are the opposite of what you need. They add support at the end of the stroke, which means less support everywhere else when comparing set-ups with comparable bottom-out resistance.
3. Large negative springs in air shocks help and coil springs will always have more mid-stroke support than a single-chamber air shock. As per point #2, by having less support at the end of the stroke (i.e. less ramp-up), a coil spring has more support everywhere else (ex. the middle).

100% right. Was going to post the exact same thing. Coil did help on my 2017 Bronson, but I never could fully get it to a point I was happy with in terms of midstroke without running a lot of spring rate. The bike ran best that way though, just accept that is most of a racey feeling suspension rather than plush.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006147
Mobile Version of Website