Mondraker Owners Thread

PB Forum :: Other
Mondraker Owners Thread
Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 9:03 Quote
I had my first proper ride on it today. I did some hills I've done probably 50-100 times over the past two years on my mega 290 or Capra mullet. The 275 front wheel definitely gets stuck in holes more. I'm mulleting the Dune for sure. 150 29er will outperform a 170 275 fork for sure. I'm positive of that.

I have stripped it down now. The downtube is full of mud. It looks like it's been poured in. Definitely not been looked after.

All looks positive though. I'm happy to have it for this year's bike.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 4:48 Quote
It's me again.

I am looking for a Dune hanger for the 440mm wheelbase setting.

The part number is M065 MB-099-0052

If you have one that you would be willing to sell, please shoot me a message.

Silverfish are out of stock. If I want to order one I have to do so through my local dealer and the lead time is 8 weeks.

I am hopeful I can find one before then.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
It's me again. I need help!

I have taken the top linkage off. The bottom likage I cannot remove. The 5mm outer steel collet screws have come out no worries. The issue now is that the silver collet inserts (those little silver cones with the 6mm allen sockets) are seized into the blck axles and the allen heads are badly chewed from a previous owner's ham fisted actions.

I don't think the silver collets are screwed into anything so I should be able to turn them free from the black axles in either direction. If you have had those collets out before, please confirm. It seems like the allen flats used to turn the collets anticlockwise are shagged. The ones to turn them clockwise are OK. Perhaps I can do that - turn clockwise and break them free from the axle ends.

I am guessing that once the collets are out, the axles are removed using an 8mm allen key like on Santa Cruzes. Is that right?

Thanks

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
@HypoxicX -thanks so much for the suggestion. Somehow I overlooked this until now. We ended up getting a PNW Components Loam Dropper Post 31.6x150mm and it is great! The extra 50mm over what came stock has been a revelation for my kid. I think that maybe PNW has made the required insertion depth less lately so if your OneUp ever dies, you might consider this one to get you another 30 of travel!
best
Claude

Hi,

I am a petite female mondraker enduro racer (riding foxy and dunes) and I know first-hand the frustrations with limited droppers/small frames clearance etc.

I recommend the OneUp V2 120mm dropper for your daughter. It has the shortest insertion depth of any dropper post for the drop achieved and I have put mine through the ringer for 1.5 yrs w/o issues. I have it paired with a Wolftooth Light Action lever, which is awesome.

good luck!

long-live 27.5 ... because we are not all 5'8"+ men[/Quote]

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 12:17 Quote
@jaame

https://www.mondraker.com/storage/resources/faq/path/dune-2017-20171222085016-en.pdf

Does this help? Is it bolt number 7 that is the issue? From memory, I used a very long flat (non-ball) hex key and slide all the way in to get an even torque spread between tool and bolt head.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 13:02 Quote
I have removed 10 and 9, but 8 is seized into 7. The 6mm Allen hole inside 8 is pretty damaged, even using a 6mm bit and tapping it right the way home didn't do the trick. It's seized and also partially chewed.
I read on the Santa Cruz Mtbr thread that you can put a socket into the collet (Cool and not engage the threads, just the inner face of the collet, and tap it sideways with a soft hammer.

That also did not work.

I could buy an axle set but it's £47 and I literally only need the two collets, then I could drill them out of the bolts (7).

It seems a waste of.money to buy the whole set for a used bike when the link already works. I will not be able to tell when riding. I just want to get everything apart because that's my personality.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 2:46 Quote
jaame wrote:
More questions @ mullet Dune owners.

Right now my fork is a 170mm Lyrik. The rear has 160mm travel with the float x2. I believe the stock BB height is 350mm in this configuration.

The bike also has angle cups installed, but I don't know what type. Most likely the Mondy ones in -1 configuration. This is giving me a head angle of 64.5 I think.

Now, If I go to the 29er for, I am going to add 19mm for the 29er wheel - taking another 1 degree off the HA and adding another 7mm to the BB height (producing 63.5 degree HA and 357mm BB) for the wheel alone.

Combined with the 12mm of added a2c of going from a 170 275 Lyrik to a 160 29er 36 which will slacken the HA by another half a degree and raise the BB by a further 3-4mm. The outcome will be a 63-deg HA and a 360mm BB height.

At that point I could turn the headset cups around to +1 degree. That would result in the following approximante numbers:

65 dgeree head angle
360mm BB

I find myself asking, is it worth the effort? Would I be better off just keeping it as a 27/27 bike with 170/160 travel front to rear?

I noticed a few pages back someone is using a 170mm travel 29er fork. Is the benefit of the 29er front worth the BB height compromises?

I am sold on the mullet setup on the right frame, as I used a Capra 29 mullet all last year. I am not sure if the Dune is the right bike to do it though.

I considered this for a while, but decided not to compromise the bike and got a 2020 Foxy RR carbon 29er. I did not want a high BB or
to spend a lot on the bike (without really increasing its resale value).

If you did want to do this you would be better off reducing to 150mm travel fork, otherwise the BB is going to too high. I think it would not corner or climb well enough with a 170mm. You can also get an eccentric BB to drop BB about 3mm. Due to the small tapered design on the shock bushings, I don't think you can get an easy win there. Also I think the BB height is 350mm with the 160mm fork, something like 153mm with 170mm.

I am still playing with the idea for my Summum carbon, but Fox 49s are so expensive, it's hard to justify, I could not find the offset bearings the WC used and I have no geo kit, so all in all expensive without increasing resale.

John

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 17:26 Quote
Hi evryone. I am very new to this MTB thing (just a few moths into it). I started by purchasing an third hand Mondraker Foxy R 2016 size M with which I have been having a lot of fun around some running trails here in Macau. The bike overall feels vey good. Other that replacing the pedal pins its been working just fine until a bolt from the frame came loose and fell down. I managed to put it back but I would like to know the PSI I have to screw it in.
Can any one help ?

Thanks

[PI=https://www.dropbox.com/s/t23lyj9t0bi1grl/bikebolt.JPG?dl=0][/PI]https://www.dropbox.com/s/t23lyj9t0bi1grl/bikebolt.JPG?dl=0

Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
Hi all

I have a 2018 Foxy XR size medium

anyone know the longest dropper I can fit?

Thank you!

Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 23:48 Quote
I ride a 2019 mondraker foxy xr carbon 27.5 and I'm considering adding a megneg. I think it will work as the spring rate is progressive /regressive does anyone use one on a foxy and how is it?

On the stock aircan I've ended up using 3.5 tokens to get it so it doesn't bottom out all the time at 30% sag on my usual trails with a mix of small drops and gaps up to about 25 foot .I preferred the suppleness off the top when I had it at 33% with the stock 1 token but it blew through travel all the time unfortunately.

What I hope to achieve is supple off the top but with good midstroke support and not bottom out all the time . Currently it's a bit firmer off the top than I would like because otherwise I don't get the midstroke I need and bottom out protection any other way, it's not bad but I do think it's a slight compromise .Any thoughts will be appreciated

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 6:13 Quote
Question to Foxy 29er owners. Have you added any volume spacers, if so how many do you have fitted?

The bike seems pretty linear and has a light compression tune on the shock, so it blows through the travel of the DPX2 easily. But the bike is sold with the maximum advised volume spacer from Fox (0.6). I don't really want to increase HSC as it will create a new problem (harshness on quick repeated hits). I am only 70kg, so only using half the max air pressure, but I understand ending compression will still be high with ending stroke (so the risk is that it blows orings).

I read of this issue with the bike before I purchased but did not realise you couldn't increase the volume spacers without voiding the shock warranty.

Thanks! John

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
jumunky wrote:
Question to Foxy 29er owners. Have you added any volume spacers, if so how many do you have fitted?

The bike seems pretty linear and has a light compression tune on the shock, so it blows through the travel of the DPX2 easily. But the bike is sold with the maximum advised volume spacer from Fox (0.6). I don't really want to increase HSC as it will create a new problem (harshness on quick repeated hits). I am only 70kg, so only using half the max air pressure, but I understand ending compression will still be high with ending stroke (so the risk is that it blows orings).

I read of this issue with the bike before I purchased but did not realise you couldn't increase the volume spacers without voiding the shock warranty.

Thanks! John

I haven´t felt the need to add any volume spacers to the shock having around 25-30% sag at 165 psi and I am 73kg naked. I've only managed to bottom it out once at a really hard compression. Usually I have the sag o-ring between 7 to 3mm until max shock compression at the end of the ride on the shock and around 15 to 25mm on the fork.

On the 36 I have 2 volume spacers (it comes stock with one) as I felt I was bottoming out and needed more mid stroke support.

I also felt that the harshness of the rear was due to braking, if I went through the section without (nearly) using the brake it felt like it was absorbing better the hits. You may have to adapt your braking to get the most of the suspension.

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 23:53 Quote
Echaniz wrote:
jumunky wrote:

Thanks! John

I haven´t felt the need to add any volume spacers to the shock having around 25-30% sag at 165 psi and I am 73kg naked. I've only managed to bottom it out once at a really hard compression. Usually I have the sag o-ring between 7 to 3mm until max shock compression at the end of the ride on the shock and around 15 to 25mm on the fork.

On the 36 I have 2 volume spacers (it comes stock with one) as I felt I was bottoming out and needed more mid stroke support.

I also felt that the harshness of the rear was due to braking, if I went through the section without (nearly) using the brake it felt like it was absorbing better the hits. You may have to adapt your braking to get the most of the suspension.

Hi thanks for your input. I have set up sag at 30% (Mond suggests at 30 to 35%), this is 130psi for me. If I set to 25% the end stroke would likely be OK, but the starting stroke would be harsh, so a lot of feedback with smaller bumps and a bit lively climbing perhaps. I am hoping to achieve a plush initial with support into the mid and end stroke, but all 3 does not seem to be possible with this odd suspension curve and ultra light tune on the shock. For info I have 3 clicks of LSC (from open), sadly I cannot change the HSC externally as that would compensate a little (although making wash boards harsh).

I noticed a few people have changed to X2 more DH orientated shock to get the plushness and support. Mondraker themselves have now swapped to Ohlins, would be interesting to know how they behave (suggest setup seems light also, but perhaps you can put more volume spacers with them?).

I came for the Dune, so I was surprise how different the suspension setup is.

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 23:59 Quote
Sorry to clarify also, I was referring to thr air sleeve oring (internal), not the travel indicator oring, that is also falling off!

Posted: Mar 10, 2021 at 6:55 Quote
theraggyone wrote:
I ride a 2019 mondraker foxy xr carbon 27.5 and I'm considering adding a megneg. I think it will work as the spring rate is progressive /regressive does anyone use one on a foxy and how is it?

On the stock aircan I've ended up using 3.5 tokens to get it so it doesn't bottom out all the time at 30% sag on my usual trails with a mix of small drops and gaps up to about 25 foot .I preferred the suppleness off the top when I had it at 33% with the stock 1 token but it blew through travel all the time unfortunately.

What I hope to achieve is supple off the top but with good midstroke support and not bottom out all the time . Currently it's a bit firmer off the top than I would like because otherwise I don't get the midstroke I need and bottom out protection any other way, it's not bad but I do think it's a slight compromise .Any thoughts will be appreciated

Sounds like you a similar issue to me. Do you have a RS super delux already or a Fox shock?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006330
Mobile Version of Website