Mondraker Owners Thread

PB Forum :: Other
Mondraker Owners Thread
Posted: Jul 14, 2017 at 14:08 Quote
Deadhandpuke wrote:
agrasso5567 wrote:
Deadhandpuke wrote:

ah ok the forks i have athe moment are RST Blaze 27’5 TNL 130mm, 1-1/8” but has a FSA No. 57B bearings, Tapered Reduced 1-1/8”->1/5”, with 1-1/8” reducer, 44mm external diameter upper cup, 56mm external diameter lower cup.

could you let me know what type of forks to get.

really sorry i just dont want to buy the wrong forks.

Oooh I see so your bike fork is currently a straight tube. Your frame is tapered so you have the option of putting in a tapered fork with a different headset.

So what you should look for is a fork with a straight tube (1 1/8"). As far as the type of fork It really depends on riding style. The higher end models of your bike came with the Fox 32 Float CTD Evolution, or the Rockshox Sektor Silver solo air. Both 140mm travel.

I personally like Fox suspension more. If it was my bike I would put a fox 34 float 140mm straight tube 1 1/8" only because I like beefier forks and I tend to abuse my bikes. Just double check the front axle before you buy something. See if you have a quick release, 15mm or 20mm thru axle. I'm pretty sure it's a 15mm thru axle.

right i sort of get it now i could fit either but would have to change my headset if i went tapered?
i believe i only have 9mmQR but i read you can get 15mm-9mm reducer or is that not a good idea?

My hubs had conversion kits available where you just pop the end caps off and put the wider (15mm or 20mm) end caps on. Some hubs don't have that option. As far as reducers go, I've never used them. If your hubs have a conversion kit available I would go with that. Otherwise 15 or 20mm to QR reducer should be good enough. Other option is to buy a new front wheel with 15 or 20mm hub already installed.

FL
Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 6:36 Quote
First proper ride on the Dune today down some EWS trails. My god, the suspension is amazing. What a bike!

FL
Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 7:57 Quote
agrasso5567 wrote:
Anyone ride a Dune? Looking to get one this summer. That or a Giant Reign.

Also for the dune, I'm 170cm. Small or medium? I'm right on the border of the two

Get it!
Amazing bike.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 7:16 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
agrasso5567 wrote:
Anyone ride a Dune? Looking to get one this summer. That or a Giant Reign.

Also for the dune, I'm 170cm. Small or medium? I'm right on the border of the two

Get it!
Amazing bike.

Best of on a medium I guess if you're chosing Mondraker forward geometry bike then go with it and don't buy one that's a bit to small for their liking.

Posted: Oct 25, 2017 at 8:28 Quote
ThinkTank45 wrote:
First proper ride on the Dune today down some EWS trails. My god, the suspension is amazing. What a bike!

I was blown away on the first ride on my Foxy Carbon and continue to be blown away the more I ride it and get used to it. Absolutely stunning, a pleasure every time I ride it.

Posted: Jan 7, 2018 at 11:58 Quote
r3xxy
I was blown away on the first ride on my Foxy Carbon and continue to be blown away the more I ride it and get used to it. Absolutely stunning, a pleasure every time I ride it.[/Quote]

As you say it’s a great bike, but does take a bit of adjusting to your riding style a bit.
Demoed quite a few before setting on this..... (Capra, Bronson, Orange 5, Process 153, Spicy)

Is yours the 2018 foxy?
Have you ventured away from the recommended Fox DPX2 settings at all?
I’ve built up a 2018 Foxy RR SL and it’s my first full suss so keen to see how others have theirs setup.

Also I’m also just about to bump the front end up to 160mm, I’m 5’11” on a large but think it will help balance the bike a bit, I’ve only got room for a 10mm steerer spacer so cant raise the stem any more.

photo

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 at 7:07 Quote
Lovely bike, that new skinny top tube is sexy

Mine is the 2017 XR, which has 160mm forks.
I run it pretty much as it came and as recommended by Fox, except for one or two clicks more rebound than recommended on the rear shock and some 40mm rise bars.

I did discover that I was probably running too much compression damping on the forks but haven't really ridden it since then.

How come you went for the Rockshox forks?

Posted: Jan 10, 2018 at 14:46 Quote
I built it up from my hardtail. (Bird Zero)
Had Pikes on that as they were considered the best option at the time 2016.
They are dual position version but with token, custom tune and adjustable HSC mod, made a world of difference. (J-Tech suspension)

Would love a pair of Fox 36 but too much £££
I’ve read Pikes are better than the 34’s but never compared side by side myself

I’ve got the 160 travel on now and only been round the block so far but feels pretty good. Lot easier to lift the front.

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 at 14:49 Quote
You'll love it once you've got it dialed in after a few rides, happy shreddingSmile

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 8:45 Quote
Hi all,

I'm 5.9" and have just bought a Large Mondraker Dune R 2018 that fits me fine but was wondering if I should have bought the Medium instead (Also feels fine to ride)?

I'm stuck in between sizes according to their website sizing guide...

My APE index is my arms are longer than my height so went with that regarding sizing (Arms longer - go for larger frame, height longer than arm reach - go for small frame).

Anyone here 5.9" and riding either a Medium or large?

Cheers all.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 14:12 Quote
I'm 5'6 and ride a medium, it feels a tiny bit too big very occasionally and I would prefer a small but it's so good the rest of the time it doesn't bother me too much as it's so amazingly stable..
Kind of too late for either of us now we've bought our bikes, if you'd bought a medium you'd probably be debating whether you should have bought a large Razz
such is life.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 23:33 Quote
RAYLFC8 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm 5.9" and have just bought a Large Mondraker Dune R 2018 that fits me fine but was wondering if I should have bought the Medium instead (Also feels fine to ride)?

I'm stuck in between sizes according to their website sizing guide...

My APE index is my arms are longer than my height so went with that regarding sizing (Arms longer - go for larger frame, height longer than arm reach - go for small frame).

Anyone here 5.9" and riding either a Medium or large?

Cheers all.

I'm about 5.6" riding a carbon M size 2016 Foxy but S size Dune Alu. I have longer inseam with shorter arms.
Foxy is low and long compared to Dune high and shorter frame geo. I like M Dune but it's too rooted to the ground and too forward; compensated with 20mm. On the S, It's more nimble to play around. Since i prefer to sit and pedal thru the climb just to enjoy the descends, S Dune is just perfect.

Depends on your riding expectations. I suggest you to try M, swap to 40mm stem and 150 or 175mm droppers.

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 0:18 Quote
At last I've found the Mondraker thread!

I have a 2016 Dune XR carbon. So does my mate, Another mate has an Al Dune, and my brother has a Dune R carbon. So out of my 6 or so main riding buddies, 4 of us have Dunes......

...however, coming from a 2014 Lapierre Spicy Team, a few of us have notice that the Dune rear suspension is not so good at square edge hits Vs previous bikes. I have read some Dune reviews (not many) that comment the same Vs the usual jurno glowing reports about everything (and most bikes to be fair, as clearly they don't want to bite the hand giving them the free jollies testing bikes)!

One of my buddy is a suspension expert, so got Mojo to do him a special tune, plus the XR's have the Fox X2 which is supposed to be good at square edge stuff but is still not as good as a Horst layout. I'm sticking with the bike as love the geo and aggressive nature of the bike (plus racing Gravity Enduro and so have mine fully slacked out)

Never trust the bike reviews, I had a Capra for a while, supposedly the best thing since sliced bread! It was the worst bike I had of 3 at the time (Spicy and Spec Stump 29er) as too old skool sizing (too cramped low stack)

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 at 8:45 Quote
Headed to Bend, Oregon on the 24th to pick up my Foxy RR SL. Well, I'm going to ride it first, but I don't anticipate any issues. Some people have complained about their calves rubbing on the linkage, so I'll be looking for that.

At 5'11", I had them order a medium because I have a short torso and tyrannosaurus arms. And the medium still has a 480mm reach! It will probably need the 125mm dropper swapped for a 150, we'll see.

I'll probably swap out the tires for something wider. Like 2.6/2.5 DHF/DHR or something. What are folks running for rubber on their Foxys?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.043665
Mobile Version of Website