Mondraker Owners Thread

PB Forum :: Other
Mondraker Owners Thread
Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 13:31 Quote
Hi, I have the 2021 superfoxy R alloy, bought it brand new and before first ride I've replaced suspension to my preferences, for the shock I've chosen X-fusion H3C and I'm really satisfied with performance although I don't know the tune, I'm 75kg, quite aggressive riding and run 450lbs coil. I need to run it almost closed on rebound, but I still have some margin to slow it down for jump sessions. H3C is probably the lightest coil shock available, it's just 139 grams heavier than Float X2. Fully recommend.
Waha wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have a mondraker super foxy with fox dpx2. I want to raplace air shock for coil. Does anyone have a rock shox superdeluxe ultimate coil in mondraker superfoxy? I wonder if it would be a good change. Which tune of superdeluxe
should I choose?
My weight is about 70kg.

Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 3:17 Quote
Hi everyone. Looking at purchasing a mondraker foxy r but the sizes of these bikes are literally blowing my mind.
I'm 5ft11 with no shoes with a leg trouser measurement of 32", and quite lanky on my arms.

I sat on a size large yesterday and itvjust felt a tad too big.

Issue is the shop didn't have a medium to compare.
Mondraker chart says I'm definitely a large though but I know a lot of people size down on this perticular bike.

The reach on the large mondraker is 495 and on my large kona process 111 the reach is 460. However the medium mondraker has a reach of 475 so I'm wondering if this would feel better?

What's everyone else riding with there heights?

I should have really ridden the mondraker and took my old bike to compare. So hard sat in a shop.

Regards Dave

Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 14:41 Quote
I’m 5’9 and am on a medium Foxy Carbon R

I’m kind of between sizes as well. Happy to be on the medium though. I came from a size large transition sentinel that had a 475 reach so my switch to the foxy was more smooth. I definitely feel like I’m on the tall end for the medium though. It’s super playful and poppy for me and I think I would be able to handle the large if I wanted something bigger to just be flat out fast and stable.

It sounds like you’re a fair bit longer than I am and would get along well with the large! It would definitely be an adjustment though coming off that process 111

Hope this helps!

-B

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 3:33 Quote
I'm 183cm (6ft) and I ride a 2020 Foxy R (alloy) size Large.

Previous to my decision on the large I was fortunate enough to have a ride in a medium sized alloy Foxy 29 and also a car park test of a Large Foxy Carbon RR, coming from a Large norco range 27.5 2017 (432mm reach) both felt pretty good. I was courious about the longer-slacker trend at the time and looking to the height chart I was just in place on a large so to me it made sense to get the large (Even though my LBS guy recommended me to downsize to a medium as he did with his Foxy).

Choosing the Large was one of the best decisions I've made recently as from day 1 I felt pretty much bonded to the bike. I feel like I'm in place on the bike with the weight centered on it and as @jgb30 said I find it to be in between the playful-poppy side and the fast-stable side, just perfect for all round use.

Definitely for my next bike I won't go to a shorter reach but a tad longer chainstay and a tad slacker headtube angle...lol

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 15:37 Quote
Anyone running 170mm Fox 36/38's on there 2020+ 29er 160mm Forked from the factory Foxy R/RR/SL ?

Is it even safe/possible to run with 10mm extra travel forks ?

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 1:08 Quote
Hi everyone. I'd just like to say a big thank you to all of you who replied to my questions about the sizing. Today I sat on a medium foxy r and it just felt like I was going over the bars. Then I sat on a large superfoxy and it felt bang on. So good in fact I very nearly bought it but I just thought the 170mm of travel was maybe a tad much for me in every day ridings? So, in the end I've purchased the ex demo foxy r in large from 18 bikes in hope Valley. Picking it up at the weekend. Can't wait to have a blast on it around the local rock Gardens.
If anyone is local to belper or Kirkby in Ashfield and fancy a ride out anytime please just message me.

Thanks again everyone and happy riding

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 1:09 Quote
Oh and one more thing. Has anyone ridden the foxy then the superfoxy back to back? Is there actually a noticeable difference as I was so tempted by the superfoxy instead of the foxy r.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 6:02 Quote
Drock0 wrote:
Oh and one more thing. Has anyone ridden the foxy then the superfoxy back to back? Is there actually a noticeable difference as I was so tempted by the superfoxy instead of the foxy r.

I actually don't but there are subtle differences between the two geometry wise the superfoxy has 5mm shorter reach, 10mm longer chainstays and 1º slacker HTA at 65º hence the longer wheelbase. In terms of the rear suspension the superfoxy has a progressive system that is otimized around coil shocks or high volume air ones and the foxy has a linear system optimized for air shocks.

I'd encourage you to check Linkage Design's analisis on both bikes (foxy & superfoxy) which takes an in depth look on the suspension kinematics of each bike.

P.s. Both bikes use a 205mm shock, the difference between both is the length of the stroke (65mm the superfoxy & 62.5 the foxy) so in case you think you'll benefit of some extra travel you can test fit a 65mm stroke shock on the foxy and if the rear triangle doesn't hit the frame you could get pretty close to he superfoxys real rear travel.

Posted: Jan 8, 2022 at 6:07 Quote
Echaniz. Thanks for all this very detailed information. It's invaluable

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 11:09 Quote
Hey everyone! I have a 2021 Foxy R and I am looking for some advice. I would like to know what chainguide/bash guard is able to fit onto this bike. Reason being is I bought a OneUp components chain guide/bash guard and it actually wont fit due to the welds protruding past the ISCG05 tabs causing it to not sit flush. At first I thought i was crazy but after toying around with it for some time I realize its not possible. I also learned that this is not an issue on the carbon models obviously because there is no welds. Any insight or recommendations would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 11:35 Quote
attiz wrote:
Hey everyone! I have a 2021 Foxy R and I am looking for some advice. I would like to know what chainguide/bash guard is able to fit onto this bike. Reason being is I bought a OneUp components chain guide/bash guard and it actually wont fit due to the welds protruding past the ISCG05 tabs causing it to not sit flush. At first I thought i was crazy but after toying around with it for some time I realize its not possible. I also learned that this is not an issue on the carbon models obviously because there is no welds. Any insight or recommendations would be very helpful.

Thanks.

As the bike lacks of one of the lower bolts of the ISCG-05 mount (where the bash guard would be mounted) and the sram steel direct mount chainring that comes from factory is cheap to replace I've decided to only run the top chainguide, the one I have is the Funn Zippa Lite ISCG-05. It has been working as intended for two years now and fits ok on the bike.

The reason being on running no bashguard is that in case of a direct impact the bashguard would either bend or broke resulting also in a bent or broken chainring. Worst case scenario you could even damage the chainguide mounts.

Posted: Feb 12, 2022 at 22:47 Quote
Hi Everyone,

I am a brand new Mondraker owner, in fact it's the first new bike I've bought myself since 2008. I got a 2021 Foxy Carbon XR. Shoutout to Stoked bikes in Kelowna who hooked me up with a great deal and friendly service.

I was hoping to get some existing owners might be able to help me out with the following:

1) Any major maintenance issues to look out for?

2) Any tips on making it as quiet as possible and protecting the frame from chain slap as much as possible?

3) What chain guide(s) will fit on it? I have read that they are prone to losing their chains.

I am getting it ride wrapped as well.

Thanks!

Posted: Feb 13, 2022 at 8:01 Quote
Congrats on the new bike.
Keep the lower linkage clean they seem to go through bearings faster than other bikes
Not sure if ride wrap offers a kit yet for ppf if not you can pick 3m clear bar from eBay and custom cut it for your frame.
Watch at the front of the chain stay near the chain ring for chain slap mastic tape will protect that.
can't help you on that one

Stoked Canada is a great shop to work with can't say that enough. Picked up a Summum from them and waiting on my Crafty to come in.

Posted: Feb 13, 2022 at 12:28 Quote
FrostyMugKiller wrote:
Congrats on the new bike.
Keep the lower linkage clean they seem to go through bearings faster than other bikes
Not sure if ride wrap offers a kit yet for ppf if not you can pick 3m clear bar from eBay and custom cut it for your frame.
Watch at the front of the chain stay near the chain ring for chain slap mastic tape will protect that.
can't help you on that one

Stoked Canada is a great shop to work with can't say that enough. Picked up a Summum from them and waiting on my Crafty to come in.

Hey thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

According to ride wrap's website anyway, it appears they offer their usual range of the kit for the bike (unless I'm misunderstanding something).

I'm going to buy some of that 3M mastic tape for sure, looks like awesome stuff.

Nice to hear another positive experience with Stoked, sounds like they'll be around if I need them in the future!

Posted: Mar 7, 2022 at 11:21 Quote
Hi Guys,

I just got a call from the bike shop I used to build my 2021 Foxy Carbon XR (I gave them the box straight from Mondraker). They are telling me the following:

"There is a small knocking sensation coming from lower eyelet area when you pull up and down on the (shock) reservoir, came from the factory like this, all bolts and hardware are tight."

I talked to the mechanic and he said he can't see anything wrong with it otherwise, but that the play/knock is quite significant especially when you lift the bike off the ground.

Can anyone here tell me if this is normal, or perhaps some sort of quirk of the Mondraker suspension design? I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse at the moment if it turns out my brand new bike has issues right from the factory. Hopefully that is not the case though.

Thanks in advance.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007417
Mobile Version of Website