Mondraker Owners Thread

PB Forum :: Other
Mondraker Owners Thread
Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 6:41 Quote
Just bought a 2022 Crafty R but won't get bike for 2 weeks & wondering about negative reviews I've heard on the brakes & was thinking about buying some different pads with more bite. Anybody here riding a 2022 Crafty R please let me know what you think of the brakes & if you swapped pads what did you use.
Thanks

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 7:50 Quote
I have the Crafty Carbon Xr.
The brakes will need a really good bleed and some metallic pads and you should be good. My seat post clamp would always let the post slide down switched to hope clamp and all is well there. There is a noise in the front I think its the seat post cable tapping.

Other than those minor issues the bike is fantastic.

Posted: Jul 20, 2022 at 17:28 Quote
FrostyMugKiller wrote:
I have the Crafty Carbon Xr.
The brakes will need a really good bleed and some metallic pads and you should be good. My seat post clamp would always let the post slide down switched to hope clamp and all is well there. There is a noise in the front I think its the seat post cable tapping.

Other than those minor issues the bike is fantastic.

Cool, I'm a bit nervous having shelled out big bucks for a bike I never saw or rode ! Glad to here you like the bike. Good tip on brake bleed & I saw a web dealer selling sintered pads for SRAM brakes. When I get the bike I'll bleed the brakes & see how they feel & take from there.

Posted: Jul 24, 2022 at 23:05 Quote
Hey guys - I'm finally going to put on the geometry kit that came with my '18 foxy XR to slacken the head angle by a degree. However, the cups are somewhat confusing, and there is no documentation out there. It looks to me like the top cup should be situated with the beefier side towards the rider, but the bottom cup (with the notches) seems to be symmetrical... How could that be? Shouldn't there be a similar angle on the bottom angled cup as well?

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 0:56 Quote
subwaypanda wrote:
Hello all,
I'm looking at picking up a 2016 foxy r carbon frame (I think it might be the 2015 generation as it has a142 rear end). I'm wondering if anyone who has had one has some details on the headset? It's listed as a Onoff Integrated Tapered 1-1/8" to 1/5". I wondering is this fully integrated or semi integrated? I'd like to install an angle set headset to slacken it a little. I've used works components in the past on other bikes but I don't know if they make one for this generation foxy. Any advice or ideas are appreciated.

Cheers.

Answer given, however with a 160mm fork it really doesn't need one. If it comes with a 140mm fork, I'd be looking to trade that before an angle set

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 14:14 Quote
Took delivery of my '22 Crafty R last week, only managed to get out on it once so far and I am seriously impressed, for a 25kg bike it feels pretty nimble!

My only quibble would be the brakes (they're nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews I've seen make them out to be). Ideally I'd like to keep them for now, because I've just spent £5k+ on a bike - the wife is not going to be happy when a new brake-set turns up.

So.... brake pad upgrades? are the Galfer e-bike compound worth a look? or just some standard sintered pads? thoughts?

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 6:17 Quote
I'm just running the Sram sintered pads. you can switch out the The code r levers ot to rsc's and get a bit more power and adjustability.
Only issue I've had on the crafty was the seat post clamp and the stem seemed to me machined to must couldn't get the seat post to stop slipping even with a ton of paste and slightly over torqued. Same was with the stem on the steer tube.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 6:59 Quote
kev-jones wrote:
Took delivery of my '22 Crafty R last week, only managed to get out on it once so far and I am seriously impressed, for a 25kg bike it feels pretty nimble!

My only quibble would be the brakes (they're nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews I've seen make them out to be). Ideally I'd like to keep them for now, because I've just spent £5k+ on a bike - the wife is not going to be happy when a new brake-set turns up.

So.... brake pad upgrades? are the Galfer e-bike compound worth a look? or just some standard sintered pads? thoughts?

Nice bike !
Just curious what is your complaint with brakes ?
I now have aprx. 120 miles on my 2022 Crafty R pretty much single track and forest roads and the brakes seem fine. After reading the reviews I wasn't expecting good brakes I almost bought the SRAM code RSC set up prior to riding the bike glad I didn't. I did buy some Miles Racing sintered pads but haven't installed em yet. I did several miles of steep downhill the other day & no brake fade at all & when I needed slow down just a bit or hit em hard they preformed well. I'm loving the Crafty only complaint is how the Kiosk is mounted I already had it get knocked off in a crash so ordered a new mount to hopefully get it out of harms way.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
kev-jones wrote:

2link2 wrote:

As far as I can tell the new 2022 batch of G2 R from sram have a different caliper than the 2021, they don't have the banjo attachment to the caliper thus having theoretically a cheaper manufacturing process. They also have started fitting organic pads on them. It is possible that the reviewer who tested them had the organic ones and didn't tried them with different pads. Another important aspect is the feel they give as they have a progressive feel in terms of the force you are applying on them whereas with shimano you have a touchy feel where you get maximum power form the start. Depending on the previous brakes of the reviewer this may worsen the experience of the reviewer not being familiar with how the brakes behave.

IMO the best pads for the brakes are either the original sintered ones or the purple Galfer ones (they work flawlessly with non e-bikes too) I have tried several pad compounds on my g2 RSC the black and purple compounds form Galfer, the original sintered ones and some budget friendly options in resin compound and sintered.

In terms of pad duration/life I woud order this way Sram sintered > Galfer prurple > Galfer black. Power wise I woud say that the sram sintered ones and the galfer purple are quite similar. Galfer black (or standard) are a bit less powerful than the purple ones (still plenty enough for most people) and have noticeable less lifespan. The Sram sintered could be a bit noisier than the galfers so thats other thing to evaluate yourself (If they slow me down nicely I won't mind the noise). My preferred pad setup has been Galfer purple up front and Sram sintered at back.Big Grin

As for me I'm around 85kg kitted and riding an alloy Foxy 29, usually I have no complaint about the brakes but it's true that the G2 aren't the most powerful brakes on the market and on some really fast sections or hard braking zones it is noticeable. All in all I'm quite pleased with the performance of the brakes but I feel that sooner than later I'll end up upgrading to something with a bit more power (Bear in mind that I've been saying that since I bought the bike nearly 3 years ago and they still are on the bike...lol ).

P.s. Currently I'm running Galfer purple at front, a generic brand sintered one that I'm testing at back and 200mm rotors. Wink

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 6:31 Quote
Cheers!

I wouldn’t say it’s a complaint so to speak, I’m just used to my Shimano XT’s on my Orbea Rallon.

I’m not a massive fan of the amount of modulation they have, and peak power isn’t quite there (it’s on organic pads from the factory) so I’m gonna start with changing those out for now for some sintered pads. I just notesd that all of the reviews I actually paid attention to absolutely tore into the brake quality (for a ~£5800 bike, they’re pretty poor) I don’t actually think they’re as bad as reviewers made then out to be, but they do leave a bit to be desired.

Other than that, the bike is spot on, spec is good in comparison to what’s available for the same spec as well.

2link2 wrote:
kev-jones wrote:

Nice bike !
I now have aprx. 120 miles on my 2022 Crafty R pretty much single track and forest roads and the brakes seem fine. After reading the reviews I wasn't expecting good brakes I almost bought the SRAM code RSC set up prior to riding the bike glad I didn't. I did buy some Miles Racing sintered pads but haven't installed em yet. I did several miles of steep downhill the other day & no brake fade at all & when I needed slow down just a bit or hit em hard they preformed well. I'm loving the Crafty only complaint is how the Kiosk is mounted I already had it get knocked off in a crash so ordered a new mount to hopefully get it out of harms way.

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 22:45 Quote
hi i bought a 2022 level r ebike,wondering if i could mullet it?

Posted: Sep 6, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
With brake compounds stick to 1 compound when you find what you like, set up goes a huge way as does the bedding in process. Note changing compounds increases bed in time massively.
I'd go sintered, bed in and see how you get on, after that see if you can get RS or RSC levers over the R. I've never used the C on the RSC though, I like them to engage asap.

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 10:58 Quote
hi, I've been using 2021 superfoxy carbon r and just wanted to know if anyone tried out mulleting it. Been riding the bike for a while and wanted to experiment with the setup. I can't find anything online about mulleting it. There's no geo kit for it either. Only for the RR i think.

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 15:49 Quote
I think anything that fits the RR should work on the RR.
I'd contact Cascade links about mullet links info.
Or hit up a friend with a super boosted 27.5 rear wheel and test it out.
Sorry I can't be more help.

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
FrostyMugKiller wrote:
I think anything that fits the RR should work on the RR.
I'd contact Cascade links about mullet links info.
Or hit up a friend with a super boosted 27.5 rear wheel and test it out.
Sorry I can't be more help.

Nah you're good man I was asking all my friends if they have a super boost wheel. It's rarer than I expected. I'll check cascade if they have anything.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007540
Mobile Version of Website