Sram 11 speed rear derailleur in a 2x10 speed drivetrain?

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Sram 11 speed rear derailleur in a 2x10 speed drivetrain?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2017 at 12:37 Quote
My allroad bike need a new rear derailleur, the current one is broken (SRAM x9). It uses a mixture of SRAM x9 and Apex drivetrain.
I thinking about changing to the whole goupset to a 1x hydraulic setup. However i´m not quite ready to shift to 1x and not sure I want to use the that kind money on whole new groupset.

So I got the idea to get a 11 speed ready derailleur and use it my current setup. That way, I can later upgrade to 1x a bit cheaper. SRAM have three options: Force 1, Rival 1 and Apex 1. According to SRAM: https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-apex-1-rear-derailleur the Apex 1 is compatible with 1x10 speed, however my setup would be 2x10.

I does not have to be a road derailleur, NX/GX/X0 would also be fine, however i´m not sure that would change anything compatibility wise.

So the question is, will this work?

Thanks in advance

/Jonas

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 15:44 Quote
Might work, but my first instinct is that it probably won't. 2x makes a big step in chain length when you switch rings in the front. I doubt you'll have the necessary range in your 1x derailleur. Last year I switched from a X9 long cage on my 1x 10 to a Rival 1 long cage and the derailleur cage is noticeably shorter. Some of that is due to the X-horizon architecture of the Rival 1, but I doubt that X-horizon will buy you enough range for 2 chainrings.

...but FWIW, I haven't actually tried it and sometimes "off label prescriptions" work in my experience.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008817
Mobile Version of Website