Can 650b compete with 29ers?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Can 650b compete with 29ers?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 11:29 Quote
I am really struggling on deciding what type of bike to get. My biggest question is probably more than normal, it's the 650b vs 29er issue. I'm 5ft 4 and I race for the Utah NICA league(xc races). I would call myself and people do call me a aggressive rider. I love racing, but then I also love going and having fun at parks and mild downhill trails with the same bike. I am torn on what bike to get, either a 650b trail hardtail (Marin Rocky Ridge - around 29 lbs), or a 29er xc hardtail (Scott Scale 965 - around 26 lbs). I have been racing a 650b, but it's nothing special and it's heavy. I know on the Scott I wouldn't be able to be as aggressive while riding. Almost everyone is telling me to get the 29er just because they are "faster," but is there really a huge difference?

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 11:42 Quote
I fall into your category of liking to shred, jump, smash rock-gardens, but I also race XC and want to go as fast as I can.

I find a 650b a little more fun, especially at slow speeds, but a 29er allows you to push harder with more assurance. In more wide-open, faster terrain, you can get addicted to how well a 29er holds speed and how well the big wheels keep themselves out of holes.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 11:50 Quote
What's more important to you:
A) Having the biggest competitive advantage while racing.. or

B)Having a bike you can have 'more' fun on when you are not in race mode?

What about a 29er that can accept 27.5+ as well?
Have a wheel set for race days and a wheel set for shred days

Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 21:22 Quote
29er all the way. Totally smashable if you ride hard enough, has the added benefit of being fast and rolling over technical terrain too. Only drag is its harder to get air with them, but considering your on a hardtail that shouldn't be that big of a deal anyway. Also height is another consideration. At 5 4 a 650b bike might fit you better unless you are going to grow some.

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 15:41 Quote
I made a very similar comment on another one of OP's posts ... but it holds true for this question as well...

The design of the bike is going have a bigger impact on handling and performance than wheel size alone.

A 29er with XC race geo is going to ride way differently than a slacker more freeride oriented design. same can be said for 650b. Tire selection will also impact the rolling resistance and speed of the tire ... so a 650b wheel, with a faster rolling tread pattern will carry more speed than a very aggressive 29er... and while it may be true that a larger diameter wheel will carry more speed, it also requires a greater amount of energy to get moving, and can be difficult to handle in slow technical section... but again, that's a generalization... Look at the whole picture, not just one piece.

Posted: Apr 9, 2017 at 16:10 Quote
look at a 650b+ , i was stuck in-between both options and went with a plus. i ride faster with it as i am not on typical 29er with small tires and cautious of sharp turns

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009376
Mobile Version of Website