Giro Switchblade

• Previous Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2017 at 12:33 Quote
Hey,

Any feedback on the new Giro Switchblade helmet?
It looks safer than other convertible helmets. Better coverage, and downhill specific certification.

I'm concerned about sweat. The pads of my current helmet get filled with sweat, which ends up dripping on my sun glasses. And it is really annoying.
So I'm looking for a better new helmet.

Note that I don't care about the look: I am a joey, and I'm proud of it Smile safety is my biggest concern.

Thank you!

Posted: Feb 5, 2017 at 7:56 Quote
Minikeum wrote:
Hey,

It looks safer than other convertible helmets. Better coverage, and downhill specific certification.

I'm concerned about sweat. The pads of my current helmet get filled with sweat, which ends up dripping on my sun glasses. And it is really annoying.

Note that I don't care about the look: I am a joey, and I'm proud of it Smile safety is my biggest concern.

Thank you!

Hi there.

Well, I bought it like 2 months ago.
I freaking love it.
The ventilation is good, but since we have winter I cannot talk about how it performs in summer heat.
I first thought, it would be odd with such a helmet, which form is pretty strange without the chinbars, but it became handy with all those temperatures below -5°C because it kept my ears warmer than with a normal helmet.
The comfort level is pretty good imho, the chin pads fit really well on my face. I first wanted to try the Bell SUper 2R but it didn´t fit my head and the bike shop guy said, that it has an odd fit, only about 20% could wear it without problems, but he told that many bought the helmet just because it was the first hybrid helmet and was the only one for some time.
If your type of riding is enduro orientated like mine, the helmet is one of the best to choose. Versatile as hell.
And yes you feel safe like a little child wearing it.
About your conerns with the chin pads, they are pretty big, and like in a normal fullface helmet. I cannot tell more, since I didn´t sweat much in the last 2 months Wink

Hope I could help you.

Posted: Feb 5, 2017 at 9:53 Quote
EagleOfFreedom wrote:
Minikeum wrote:
Hey,

Thank you!

Hi there.

I freaking love it.
The ventilation is good, but since we have winter I cannot talk about how it performs in summer heat.
I first thought, it would be odd with such a helmet, which form is pretty strange without the chinbars, but it became handy with all those temperatures below -5°C because it kept my ears warmer than with a normal helmet.
The comfort level is pretty good imho, the chin pads fit really well on my face. I first wanted to try the Bell SUper 2R but it didn´t fit my head and the bike shop guy said, that it has an odd fit, only about 20% could wear it without problems, but he told that many bought the helmet just because it was the first hybrid helmet and was the only one for some time.
If your type of riding is enduro orientated like mine, the helmet is one of the best to choose. Versatile as hell.

For your information, the other helmets like the Bell also have the 1952ASTM-DH certificate, but this one even has it without the chinbar. And yes you feel safe like a little child wearing it.
About your conerns with the chin pads, they are pretty big, and like in a normal fullface helmet. I cannot tell more, since I didn´t sweat much in the last 2 months Wink

Hope I could help you.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate. Regarding the ear coverage, does it disturb your balance?

I know when I wear my full face helmet (which is not very often), I am not confident for the first few runs because my balance is weaken by the ear coverage. I don't know, some inner ear perturbation I guess.

Thank you

Posted: Feb 5, 2017 at 9:56 Quote
EagleOfFreedom wrote:
Minikeum wrote:
Hey,

Thank you!

Hi there.

I freaking love it.

For your information, the other helmets like the Bell also have the 1952ASTM-DH certificate, but this one even has it without the chinbar. And yes you feel safe like a little child wearing it.

Hope I could help you.

The Bell Super 3R definitely isnt ASTM certified. The Giro is currently the only hybrid helmet that is ASTM certified. (The new leatt is only at the chinbar certified).

Have the Switchblade as well but only for 1 week and didnt ride it out till now. Quality looks good and feels a lot safer than the Bell but not as safe as a real Fullface helmet (even if it probably is)

Posted: Feb 5, 2017 at 9:57 Quote
Minikeum wrote:
EagleOfFreedom wrote:
Minikeum wrote:
Hey,

Thank you!

Hi there.

I freaking love it.

Hope I could help you.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate. Regarding the ear coverage, does it disturb your balance?

I know when I wear my full face helmet (which is not very often), I am not confident for the first few runs because my balance is weaken by the ear coverage. I don't know, some inner ear perturbation I guess.

Thank you

The ear itself isnt actually covered in the meaning, that there is something pushing against it. The ears are covered by the shell, but it doesnt touch the ear itself - understand what I mean?

Posted: Feb 6, 2017 at 6:28 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
EagleOfFreedom wrote:
Minikeum wrote:
Hey,

Thank you!

Hi there.

I freaking love it.

Hope I could help you.

The Bell Super 3R definitely isnt ASTM certified. The Giro is currently the only hybrid helmet that is ASTM certified. (The new leatt is only at the chinbar certified).

Have the Switchblade as well but only for 1 week and didnt ride it out till now. Quality loo
ks good and feels a lot safer than the Bell but not as safe as a real Fullface helmet (even if it probably is)

Hi again.

Well I do not get the sense it makes to produce some hybrid helmets but without an ASTM certificate with the chinbar. The UVEX Jakyll HDE has the CE certificates the helmets need here in europe. Sorry for telling that the BELL also has the ASTM-1942F, I thought it has to because otherwise it would be sensless, but yeah.

Thanks for correcting me

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 17:18 Quote
these things are stupid. if you don't have the full face attachment on you look like a total scrub. 10/10 would not buy

Posted: Feb 26, 2017 at 10:09 Quote
Westermann wrote:
these things are stupid. if you don't have the full face attachment on you look like a total scrub. 10/10 would not buy

Well they do look a bit strange but in case of versatility and safety they are unbeatable.
At least the Switchblade

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 13:19 Quote
Giro stuff fits my head so I tried on the Switchblade. I can tell from wearing it in the store for a few minutes it would be way too hot for long days of pedaling in the summer. I sweat a lot with an XC style lid (Giro Hex) and I take my full face (Giro Cipher) off the second I finish a DH run because I sweat so much. The Switchblade would be awesome for protection but if you are worried about sweat you might want to think more about it.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2017 at 9:25 Quote
Minikeum wrote:
Hey,

Thank you!

I've been wearing the switchblade for a couple months now, and I love it! I have only used it with the chin bar off so far. the whole reason i bought it was because of the increased safety over a normal open face helmet, but will be using the chinbar for park days or extra gnarly trails.
I have been happy with the ventillation and havent been too hot at all ( mind you it is winter!!) the padding does a much better job of absorbing sweat than any other helmet Ive had by far. No more sweat in the eyes so far.
Time will tell how it is when the temp outside warms up, but I dont foresee a problem. I usually stick my helmet it my pack for those super hot Summer climbs anyway

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 20:08 Quote
Minikeum wrote:
Hey,

Thank you!

This might be worth checking out:
http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-protection/giro-switchblade-failure-1041207.html

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 9:51 Quote
Minikeum wrote:
Hey,

Thank you!

I crashed my POC Tectal two weeks ago and have been riding my Switchblade this week, which I bought planning to only use on high altitude days. I rode it in 95* weather yesterday (Phoenix, AZ) and was surprised how well ventilated it was - totally manageable. The pads did get wet with sweat but they never dripped into my glasses, which was awesome. I actually think I prefer over the Tectal because the pads would get soaked so fast and would drip constantly. I'm really surprised by how ventilated the switchblade was!

Posted: Mar 25, 2017 at 1:22 Quote
kcr138 wrote:
I crashed my POC Tectal two weeks ago and have been riding my Switchblade this week, which I bought planning to only use on high altitude days. I rode it in 95* weather yesterday (Phoenix, AZ) and was surprised how well ventilated it was - totally manageable. The pads did get wet with sweat but they never dripped into my glasses, which was awesome. I actually think I prefer over the Tectal because the pads would get soaked so fast and would drip constantly. I'm really surprised by how ventilated the switchblade was!

I did also buy the Switchblade, and I'm loving it so far. I totally agree on the ventilation and the pads, they really do a remarkable job!

I am still a bit concerned about this summer : I live now in Spain and here, temperatures reach easily the 40°C (104°F). We'll see!

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 13:58 Quote
The Giro Switchblade has ear coverings but these do not touch the ears. the helmet is really comfy but can get hot on summer days, iuse it for dh riding and the removable chinbar helps a lot on climbs and flatter, more 'trail' trails! would definatly recomend!! as for looks i think it looks great with and wiithout the bar - a bit unusual true but awesome nontheless!! tup

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
so enduro guys- what do you do with the chinbar when you're climbing? lash it to a backpack?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012558
Mobile Version of Website