Shock advice/ Choices

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Shock advice/ Choices
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2017 at 16:28 Quote
Hello everyone

I have a Santa Cruz bronson 2017

Im looking to upgrade/ replace my rear shock. I'd like have a feeling of more rear travel along consistency over alot of chop/braking bumps.. If i could get it to feel more like my mx shock that would be nice.. like a soft sag, but as it goes through the stroke it gets progressively stiffer

I prefer to Ride Parks/some limited downhill/ some climbing (climbing i would love to be able to lock out, i personally hate climbing bob, if that makes sense)

any advice would be welcome, Ive been looking at the CaneCreekDB AirCS/ DBCoilCS/ Fox DHx2
photo

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 9:45 Quote
Float X. It's a great shock.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 12:32 Quote
If you want more plush-ness at the beginning of the stroke, look at something with a bigger air can, like a Monarch Plus Debonair, Cane Creek DBAir [IL] (which is what I'd run, personally, so I could keep running a big water bottle, and it's the new stuff), or Float X2 if you're feeling spendy.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 18:13 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
If you want more plush-ness at the beginning of the stroke, look at something with a bigger air can, like a Monarch Plus Debonair, Cane Creek DBAir [IL] (which is what I'd run, personally, so I could keep running a big water bottle, and it's the new stuff), or Float X2 if you're feeling spendy.

Would a monarch plus rc 3 be better than vivid air r2c?

I read a review that stated the Vivid air r2c has that plushness at the beginning.
just to factor it in i am 236lbs so definitely on the heavy side lol

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 19:14 Quote
motodave15 wrote:
seanondemand wrote:

Would a monarch plus rc 3 be better than vivid air r2c?

I read a review that stated the Vivid air r2c has that plushness at the beginning.
just to factor it in i am 236lbs so definitely on the heavy side lol
Depends on what you want, the Vivid Air is built for gravity applications, while the Monarch is more of an all-rounder. You'll be giving up some climbing ability for a really really plush feel.

As far as your weight goes, a shock doesn't really care about your weight (as far as the spring goes), that's what the adjustment is for. Both shocks have piggybacks so unless you're really pinning it the damping should be fairly consistent over time.

Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 14:07 Quote
Send it with the Eleven Six, thats what I just did.

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 1:25 Quote
I've just got a float x2 on my v1 Bronson and didn't think in would ride much different but my god I couldn't of been more worng just perfect in every way

It's got the lockout on it but if I'm honest once you've got it set up right you just don't need it as it just makes the bike feel all wooden

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 1:37 Quote
I currently have a reign 2 2016 and the shock is a RockShox Monarch R
photo

I can buy a Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 for $450 AUD ($345 USD) (€325)

photo

but I am not sure if it is worth it. Should I get it?

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 1:48 Quote
NedMurdoch wrote:
I currently have a reign 2 2016 and the shock is a RockShox Monarch R
photo

I can buy a Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3 for $450 AUD ($345 USD) (€325)

[P=https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-

ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/F5lA8RQ403SgvuXJia4B-KnlPSzz8YQlKluHJI31DzY/mtime:1439904847/sites/default/files/images/products/rear_shocks/my15_rs_mon_rc3_1.jpg size=m align=c][/P]

but I am not sure if it is worth it. Should I get it?

I've got a friend with the same bike that shock your after and he's having nothing but trouble with it sticking etc been back once for warranty but it's doing the same again he's not happy but did say when it works it's a real good shock

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 8:34 Quote
I have found playing with the set up to be worth far more then buying a whole new problem. Have you played with volume spacers, giving it a good cleaning and fresh seals?

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 22:51 Quote
Yes I have but I think that my bike would be able to take more e.g doing a 20ft gap and overjumping it and landing heavier, the suspension would take it up much more easily.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2017 at 13:02 Quote
I 'upgraded' to the Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3, noticeable improvement. Be sure to find the proper tune, I believe it is L/L.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008968
Mobile Version of Website