2014 Kona Process 134 - new rear shock recommendations?

PB Forum :: Kona
2014 Kona Process 134 - new rear shock recommendations?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2017 at 13:13 Quote
Hi,

I am thinking of replacing the rear shock on my Kona Process 134. I am trying to decide between the Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3, the Fox Float X, DVO Topaz, and Cane Creek DBInline. Any thoughts?

Posted: Feb 6, 2017 at 10:21 Quote
I am loving my DB inline.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 12:25 Quote
Ok, thank you. I am leaning towards inline because I think it would fit best on my bike. Have you had any reliability issues with it? Also, how well do you think it would work at a bike park?

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 18:31 Quote
What about a coil shock? How well do they work pedaling?

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 1:31 Quote
I'm in the same boat wanting a shock for my 134. Don't get a coil, the frame is designed around an air shock. You'll bottom out all the time with a coil.

I leaning toward a Topaz, I've emailed dvo a few times and haven't got a response back for any of my emails which is making me think of another shock to get, I've heard their customer service is second to none so I'm a little confused.

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 17:43 Quote
Huh, the owner at my bike shop said that if I am going to upgrade the rear shock I should put a coil shock on. I do a bit of downhill at bike parks on the Process 134, maybe thats why. IDK

The DVO Topaz looks really nice, but it would be good to have customer service. What about the Fox Float X?

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 19:25 Quote
The frame's leverage ratio is designed with an air shock in mind. As in it accounts for the progressiveness of an air shock so the leverage ratio decreases at the end of the stroke to account for this, if you put a coil on it which is linear, with the decreased leverage ratio you'll blow through the end stroke and bottom out easy and it can feel wallowy mid stroke also.

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2017 at 8:43 Quote
Ok, that makes sense. Any thoughts on the Fox Float X?

Posted: Feb 25, 2017 at 9:31 Quote
I haven't tried any of the new piggyback shocks so I can't give you any recommendations on that sorry. I'm still trying to decide myself, it's difficult!

O+
Posted: Feb 25, 2017 at 9:40 Quote
Ok, yeah, its a hard decision. Thank you for you help!

Posted: Jul 13, 2017 at 22:17 Quote
I've got a Cane Creek DB air shock in mine. Works mint! Machine drilled out the eye to 15mm to fit. The monanch debonair I had was ok but this is day and night compared.also running a 160 sweep up front. Amazing ride.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2017 at 8:05 Quote
For a budget option, upgrade to a Debonair can on the existing shock.

Just made this upgrade on my 2017 134 DL and couldn't be more pleased.

Doesn't address the mid stroke in the way a piggyback would, but allows you to tune the negative and end of the stroke with the bands.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014829
Mobile Version of Website