Avid Code Brakes - All the pros still use them

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Avid Code Brakes - All the pros still use them
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2017 at 17:15 Quote
Has anyone else noticed all the pros still using the Avid Codes. I love my old set, but you can't find them anywhere. Does anyone have any insight to why all the pros are still using them but they aren't being produced for consumers? Doesn't make any sense, or am I missing something/out of the loop?

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 4:10 Quote
I love my CODES!!!!!

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 18:02 Quote
loganskis wrote:
Has anyone else noticed all the pros still using the Avid Codes. I love my old set, but you can't find them anywhere. Does anyone have any insight to why all the pros are still using them but they aren't being produced for consumers? Doesn't make any sense, or am I missing something/out of the loop?
are you sure they're using Codes and not Guides?

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 21:22 Quote
positive.

Brandon semenuk, andreau lacondeguy, cam zink to name a few. Semenuk's recent video -infinity he's using them. Zink and Lacondeguy at rampage the last few years are using them. Graham Agasaiz..

Danny Hart - https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/bike-check-danny-harts-mondraker-summum-carbon/
That one is plain as day. scroll down to the 2nd and 6th picture. plain as day.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331823644043/red-bull-rampage-2016-the-contest-bikes-and-their-riders

They're kinda hard to see in the photos, but a good number of bikes are equipped with them. Semenuk, Strait.

gwinn, 2 years ago https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ESRqk1xvStY/maxresdefault.jpg

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 6:33 Quote
Maybe the guide doesn't have enough power for them? They're sponsored by SRAM so they have to use their products, codes might be their only option for a dh specific brake.

Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 7:15 Quote
I thought there were a few running code calipers with guide levers last year.

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 at 19:36 Quote
Some bikes are still coming with them as original equipment. The 2017 Trek Session 88 comes equipped with Codes. Not sure why no after market sales. I have a brand new set I would trade you for some saints or hope V4s.

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2017 at 0:58 Quote
weird eh? those at least look like they're updated for the current matchmaker clamps. the versions the pros are all running are the same they were in 2011

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2017 at 9:20 Quote
It is probably old stock.

As for Trek and any other brand that may still spec some of their bikes with Codes, they most likely bought a large amount of them and haven't used them all up.

My guess for any sponsored rider still using them would be that they are used to them, they still are working, have spare parts to keep them working and if you are comfortable/ used to something why change when it could possibly affect your performance for the worse. People tend to be a little superstitious about there gear/kit/etc when it comes to competitions.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
Reviving this thread because at 2021 rampage, semenuk was using the old codes. However his build video showed him using new code rsc’s, something fishy is going on here

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 13:14 Quote
All brakes are good when they are brand new pads/rotors/levers and have been bedded in properly.

After a few months of mud/rain etc, Pistons start to stick, your pads are worn and rotor contaminated with anything and everything.

I've found guide r to be the most powerful ironically, They still have a nice bite to this day. code r get weak after the first set of pads and now im using code re. (And yes i know how to bleed them correctly and align properly) This is just my experience. Smile

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 1:46 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
All brakes are good when they are brand new pads/rotors/levers and have been bedded in properly.

After a few months of mud/rain etc, Pistons start to stick, your pads are worn and rotor contaminated with anything and everything.

I've found guide r to be the most powerful ironically, They still have a nice bite to this day. code r get weak after the first set of pads and now im using code re. (And yes i know how to bleed them correctly and align properly) This is just my experience. Smile

While i dont disagree, it was just odd to see brand new 2021 code rsc’s in his build video, but when it came down to the competition in utah, there is a completely different brake system… we need answers, are we missing out by using newer brake systems??

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 11:38 Quote
Eek What sort of thing's would you like to see with new brakes. if they are indeed different ?

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
I find Code RSC superior to most other brake systems, bleeding them actually makes sense.
Only others i actually like which im using aswell is TRP dhr evo's.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 19:24 Quote
Bloop88 wrote:
Reviving this thread because at 2021 rampage, semenuk was using the old codes. However his build video showed him using new code rsc’s, something fishy is going on here

And Kyle Strait. Old Avids.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018571
Mobile Version of Website