Frame protection: Instinct

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Frame protection: Instinct
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 6:25 Quote
Hey All. Wondering if anyone has any experience with frame protection for a carbon Instinct. specifically the downtube. Looks mighty exposed down there! Also wondering if there any major cable rub spots on the frame, I'd like to protect them before I take my new ride out in the spring.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 1:08 Quote
If you want to go all out you can try something like
http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/ROCKY-MOUNTAIN/INSTINCT-999MSL-970MSL

Personally though, i went the (much) cheaper route ($25) for my 970MSL. I just opted for some 'cut your own' roll of protector tape from the local motoX store, as their stuff was cheaper, and had more of it , than the mtb equivalents I looked at.

Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 5:15 Quote
bonkievan wrote:
If you want to go all out you can try something like
http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/ROCKY-MOUNTAIN/INSTINCT-999MSL-970MSL

Personally though, i went the (much) cheaper route ($25) for my 970MSL. I just opted for some 'cut your own' roll of protector tape from the local motoX store, as their stuff was cheaper, and had more of it , than the mtb equivalents I looked at.

Ah thanks for the tip RE: the protector tape. I was considering 3M stuff. I talked with Lee at invisiframe and he cant do an XL instinct, as there aren't many over there apparently.

How is the tape you used holding up? this is my first all carbon bike and I'm a bit nervous about it haha. I wish Rocky would make a plastic downtube protector that bolts on similar to the Slayer/Maiden.

Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 2:23 Quote
Tape is holding up well. As it's for MotoX it does feel slightly thicker than the mtb stuff I've used before. I've not tried removing any, as yet, but a bit of a blast from a heat gun normally does the trick.

I've also been told there is an aftermarket plastic/rubber bash guard that can be mounted via the allen bolts on the bottom tube. I've yet to find it, so no help there, sorry.

-edit- Here's a vendor that does bash guards you maybe after. Look good too, imo.Not sure if they do 16/17' instinct versions (they maybe the same?) but worth an email to check.
http://www.rockguardz.com/rockguardz/rocky-mountain/rocky-mountain-instinct.html

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 5:34 Quote
bonkievan wrote:
Tape is holding up well. As it's for MotoX it does feel slightly thicker than the mtb stuff I've used before. I've not tried removing any, as yet, but a bit of a blast from a heat gun normally does the trick.

I've also been told there is an aftermarket plastic/rubber bash guard that can be mounted via the allen bolts on the bottom tube. I've yet to find it, so no help there, sorry.

-edit- Here's a vendor that does bash guards you maybe after. Look good too, imo.Not sure if they do 16/17' instinct versions (they maybe the same?) but worth an email to check.
http://www.rockguardz.com/rockguardz/rocky-mountain/rocky-mountain-instinct.html

Ended up ordering a 999 MSL kit from Frameskins in AUS; couldn't really find any good product at the moto stores up here and I like the idea of the precut kits. Hopefully it fits! Thanks for posting that bash guard; if I'm noticing lots of damage underneath I may pick one up.

Now just wait several more months for snow to melt...

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 10:33 Quote
Nice one. I hope you like it and do post back on how it turns out.
Opposite season here, so around 28degC.

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 at 6:13 Quote
So good experience with Frameskin, even though I'm awful at applying it. I faffed it up on the downtube and ended up screwing up a piece, no expectation of getting a replacement, Framskin sent me one no charge which went on much better. Protection looks pretty good on the bike, but i still wish there was a plastic guard similar to the rockgaurdz one. One thing that kinda sucks with the 2017 model is that the decals are matte black and the frame is nice glossy purple; the Frameskin is glossy so you lose some of the nice effect there.

oh well. we'll see how it holds up to a season of riding.

Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 6:17 Quote
Don't do what I did and try to reposition a piece of heli-tape under the down tube - it instantly peeled off a chunk of the orange strip under there! The decals aren't the most well-fixed I've come across. I've now covered that with one of these : www.allmountainstyle.com/collections/ams-honeycomb-frame-guards. Tough and looks pretty decent in black. Imagine the clear would look good if you haven't messed your paint-job up like I have.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008956
Mobile Version of Website