Chronic forearm pump...Help!

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Chronic forearm pump...Help!
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 19:03 Quote
Hello to those reading!

I have been riding MTB for around 5 years now, but for the past 6 months I have been experiencing fatigue in the forearms to the extent that I have never felt before. I can't even ride pump tracks for too long (15 mins) before I can barely grip my bars and for this reason my love for riding has diminished. My riding buddies think I'm a pussy for this reason and I understand their mentality haha. I want to be able to shred again! If you have any tips or have overcome a situation similar to what I am going through, please let me know!

Cheers,

Braden

Posted: Feb 7, 2017 at 19:08 Quote
your fork might need rebuilding.

Posted: Feb 9, 2017 at 16:25 Quote
Lol I did service my fork funny enough. I'm pretty sure it's the way I grip the bars

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 at 20:21 Quote
1. do not have a death grip on the bars, just enough not to let go.

2. try different types of grips, ergon etc

3. build more strength

4. muscles may be pre-fatigued from work activity etc....need to learn to relax the muscles.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 6:52 Quote
may not be your case but,I started riding bikes with more reach so effectively I don't hang off the back end as much and I don't really get arm pump any more,how you set your forks will have effect also

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 18:32 Quote
if thats your trek in your photo album (nice bike by the way) i would guess that the brake levers are way too low....i would imagine that its like doing a press up on the back of your hand...makes my arms ache just thinking about it....other that that i would say your too weighted over the front of your bike...maybe try some gloves if you dont already use them, higher rise bar with some flex but still plenty strong eg renthal fatbar light...sorry cant think of anything else.

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 at 11:52 Quote
rabidmonkfish wrote:
if thats your trek in your photo album (nice bike by the way) i would guess that the brake levers are way too low....i would imagine that its like doing a press up on the back of your hand...makes my arms ache just thinking about it....other that that i would say your too weighted over the front of your bike...maybe try some gloves if you dont already use them, higher rise bar with some flex but still plenty strong eg renthal fatbar light...sorry cant think of anything else.

Agreed...flatten your levers a bit and see how that feels. I have a riding buddy who likes steep levers like you, but not THIS steep...never seen someone with such steep levers.

Even if that's not the root of your issue, I'd venture to guess it'll help your riding...even out your weight distribution a bit.

To each his own

Posted: Feb 25, 2017 at 3:33 Quote
Just stumbled on this. +1 for the lever angle. Had a similar problem middle of last year and read something about lever angle(I forget where now) experimented tweaking levers to way flatter than ever and it's done the trick! Can I ask if you've got skinny wrists or not?? I have and think this probably didn't help!!

Posted: Mar 9, 2017 at 13:10 Quote
Thank you all for your responses. I have changed the angle of the brakes to something flatter and will let you know what comes of that.

And yes:
*I have humorously small wrists
*That is my Session in the photos

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 1:56 Quote
Haha!! My wrists are embarrassing.......
Hope altering your lever angle helps you as it has me. Just got my mate to do the same with his because they were pretty much vertical!!
Think next step if it doesn't work would be a different grip compound or a pair of gloves with more padding?
Has it been bad enough for you to see a doctor? Wondered if carpal tunnel had been mentioned to you? Mostly found in women but can be found in men with skinny wrists.....

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 21:08 Quote
Hey skinny wrist rider with plenty of forearm pump here

flatter levers help, definately
don't go for gloves with more padding, that makes the surface of what you are holding on thicker and makes it harder to hold on, if you use gloves use the thinnest ones you can find, for this same reason I go for thin grips. This may not make sense, but if you get the chance try holding on to a really thick (heavy) bar for 1 minute and then doing the same with a thinner one, you can also try hanging from different with bars (pull up bars for example) and see which one is easier.

The other thing that actually helped me a lot was riding long downhills and just supporting the pain, don't stop even if it hurts, basically man up! haha no but really, a couple of days riding long tracks can go a loong way.

If none of this works try doing excersize specific to forearms and hands, even hanging yourself from a bar with your hands for as long as you can will be a great help.

Posted: May 28, 2017 at 13:26 Quote
How large are your hands? Big hand riders often choose fatter/squishier grips.

What is the angle of your brake levers? This and fork tuning (as others stated) could lead to fatigue.

Are you drinking water and sleeping?

Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 5:14 Quote
As has been said earlier, the bar hang/pull-up exercises do a lot for forearm strength and endurance. I also found getting a climbers hand exerciser (lots of different ones out there, most look like dog toys) or just a squeezing a squash ball while watching TV made a big difference. The more you pump your arms, the more pump you can stand!

Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 17:02 Quote
Thank you all for the helpful comments! Yall are what make the pinkbike community great

Update:
My no-rise bars might be in influence?

I like the forearm exercise that have been suggested, i'll give those a go for a time and provide an update.

Cheers!

Posted: Jun 14, 2017 at 18:25 Quote
The new ESI "FIT" grips have helped me somewhat.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.035172
Mobile Version of Website