Riding shots by yourself

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Riding shots by yourself
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 8, 2017 at 10:29 Quote
Looking for tips of taking pics of myself riding on the trail with dslr or cell phone
Tripod is obvious but I'm looking for how people get images without another hand
Thanks

Posted: Feb 11, 2017 at 19:02 Quote
The built in self timer and a lot a patience. Setting it up so the af assist light flashes definitely helps with the timing as well.

And on the phone, 4K video can make some decent snap shots. Actually it's pretty amazing what you can do with phones nowadays. Otherwise, do the same as the dslr.

Posted: Mar 6, 2017 at 3:22 Quote
Lots of patience and exercise

Maighelspass

cu RedOrbiter
www.Trail.ch

Posted: Sep 8, 2017 at 18:53 Quote
Ride with a friend.

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 10:49 Quote
you can get remote trigger options, then attach the trigger to your handlebars. I'd give brand examples but I don't know what you have. I shot this of myself a few years ago-

Posted: Dec 12, 2017 at 10:43 Quote
jaycagney wrote:
you can get remote trigger options, then attach the trigger to your handlebars. I'd give brand examples but I don't know what you have. I shot this of myself a few years ago-

I was thinking of trying this, I have a canon 550d and just had a quick look at remote shutters and they all seem to be infrared, does this mean the remote has to be pointing directly at the camera for it to work?

If so I feel like it might result in a lot of missed shots?

Posted: Dec 27, 2017 at 7:37 Quote
Rider: Me- Pavel Stefanov
Photo by Peter Savov

Getting some fresh air. Photo Peter Savovphotography nervous-hamster Photo of the week in www.mtb-bg.com Freeriding Marzocchilives

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 3:52 Quote
Ive tinkered with a bunch of techniques including intervalometers and just letting it roll through photos but that was tedious and hell on the shutter, but ive finally found out the best method in my opinion is if you can get your hands on a pluto trigger for you camera you can set it to shoot of motion capture using your phones camera so as soon as you come into frame on your phone it fires the camera off

kicking dirt on the meta selfy shot with canon 5dmk3 samyang 135mm f2.0 and pluto trigger

Posted: Apr 2, 2018 at 9:00 Quote
@ nicomuller

Wow! thats a really good idea. beautiful shot too. any recommendations for getting my hands on one of these set ups?

Posted: Apr 2, 2018 at 13:24 Quote
I was thinking about this as well. The best option, with my camera anyway, would be to set up interval shots, like I would for a time lapse, and then delay the start time so I have time to go back and get in position. This way I wouldn't be firing off 100 shots, but would have to time it right. I can't think off the top of my head how often I can set it to take a shot (like every 0.2 seconds, maybe), so it would depend on that as well. If you're limited to every 0.5 seconds, it'll be much harder to get the right shot.

As suggested above, a trigger seems to be a good option, but it'll be pricey. The MIOPS trigger uses a laser, and as soon as that beam is obstructed, it fires the shutter. But that costs like $200.

Posted: Apr 7, 2018 at 17:17 Quote
an other self shot with just a timer

Don't think I shared this one here yet. the editing is pretty bad cuz of instagram, but I haven't gotten a chance to upload a better version yet.
This is literally just the result of many tries with a single shot 30 second timer.

Posted: Oct 2, 2018 at 3:37 Quote
Have you guys used laser triggers?

If there's a specific feature that you'd like to session - that's the way to go.
It's easy to setup and you can be sure that you'd get the shot in the right moment.

Another way that I still think is more reliable than timelapse is a wireless remote. Though it could be sketchy firing mid-air.

There are a handful of PODs shot this way.

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 20:59 Quote
Milko3D wrote:
Have you guys used laser triggers?

If there's a specific feature that you'd like to session - that's the way to go.
It's easy to setup and you can be sure that you'd get the shot in the right moment.

Another way that I still think is more reliable than timelapse is a wireless remote. Though it could be sketchy firing mid-air.

There are a handful of PODs shot this way.

Wireless remote is the way to go. If you set it up right it can fire off burst mode as well, makes it a bit easier to get the timing right - switch it down just before you take off for the camera to burst off a few shots

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
Its always a risk using a dslr but the reward is really good. I haven't tried on a mtb but got a really nice shot on my fixed gear a while back.

I occasionally bring my sony on my rides but it usually sits in my backpack until I take a longer break.

Higher aperture will allow you to use lower shutter speed which will create motion even in slower moving situations.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006962
Mobile Version of Website