YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...
Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 12:26 Quote
staudmtb wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to setting up suspension, but I know I'm not getting near the full travel out of my bike.

I was on a pretty rough ride yesterday with a long loose rock garden, and by the end of the ride I had only used about 60-65% of my front shock sag and 70%ish of my rear shock.

I'll have to double check the PSI, but I weigh right around the 200lb mark, so when I built the bike, I set my fork pressure at 85psi and my rear shock at 200psi.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've seen some things about removing volume spacers? Is that necessary or could I just drop the pressure in the shocks by a few psi to compensate?

Set it by sag. I have a bit more than 25% front (attack position) and around 32% rear (sitting with both feet on the pedals).
The frame is pretty progressive so you can use more sag than on other frames.
I am 180 lbs and have 60 front and 160 back. 85 and 200 seem to be a lot for me. Anyways, gauges can be off and such, but sag never lies.

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 12:47 Quote
@BennyBianco

Loosen it up and see how far it goes. Smile
If the 150 is too much, you could probably sell it as near new and put a 125 in there.

Suspension.

@staudmtb
I'm 185 without gear and set my front fork at 80psi, the shock at 190, so we are pretty close on numbers. Have you set the compression/rebound on your fork yet? That will make a difference in how the front feels. Start in the middle range and adjust from there. To see how the changes affect the suspension, set them to their extremes and cycle the suspension and watch what happens. I typically go through about 80% of my travel on a given ride. This is actually what you want. The last 20% or so is your reserve for big hits.

As for the rear, kind of the same story. Set your sag at 25-30% and adjust your rebound (and compression if you have it).

When you have all of this figured out and can feel the differences, play with settings. From there, you would add or remove spacers.

Here is a good guide to get you started. It really helps to understand how suspension works. These are basically sports cars of the mountain bike world. As such, they need a little more understanding of how their components work together to get the most from them. Smile

Notice that Zapat is 5lbs lighter than I am but prefers a softer setup. It depends on riding style, terrain, etc. There isn't a 'wrong' way to set your bike up as long as it works for you.

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 21:37 Quote
That's what I get for posting at work. Here is the link:

https://www.evo.com/guides/mountain-bike-bike-suspension-sag-setup-guide

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 23:39 Quote
zapat wrote:
SkipSkovhugger wrote:
That is still the case, the 2018 still uses a shock with the same length (230mm). So the rear swingarm, is in the same spot at rest. But it can move 10mm more at the end of it's stroke, compared to a non-Pro Race.

I mean the fork. The CF Pro Race geo is with a longer fork as well, so the reach, standover, bb height, angles, etc are different and happn to be the same as the Pike with a 160 rod.

Well, my post is actually agreeing with you if you read it correctly.
Since the difference in geo isn't from a shorter shock (since they are the same length), or a different frame, then the difference has to be because of the longer fork.

Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 5:13 Quote
Here's another sizing issue!

170cm 30" inseam
I took the gamble and bought a size medium and now I can't barely reach the pedals.
I have tall - ish pedals (16mm) and I'm trying to figure out what other tricks there are so I can lower the seatpost height a bit more.
Do you have any recommendations for shallow rail saddles or any 165mm cranks I can buy?
I don't know what will fit on the cranks.

I've been through the entire 100 pages of this forum!

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 6:20 Quote
Poulsbojohnny wrote:
@Gorgefreerider

Kydex
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077S5N6TP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There are two sheets. I used a portion of one. So don't worry about messing up. Plus, you can always just reheat it and start over if you don't get it right.

3M tape:
https://www.amazon.com/VHB-Adhesive-5952-Automotive-Industrial/dp/B00MAT2WZU/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1524678111&sr=1-4&keywords=3m+double+sided+tape&dpID=51rdWOkdQmL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Another idea I had but didn't do, was to seal the edges with caulk. It is pretty easy for things to get into small spaces. Next thing you know you have scratches everywhere. But, alas, I didn't have any caulk. so I just ran the 3M tape all the way around the perimeter. Hopefully it does the trick!

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 7:53 Quote
jkelm wrote:
BennyBlanco wrote:
Just got my jeffsy put it together and had to go to work. Wondering how far the dropper can go into the frame as the the seat is about a 1/2 inch to high ?

For me about 25mm not far enough. A 125mm dropper would be perfect for me as my dropper post is slammed all the way down. Anyone know if you can get a 125mm for YT?

Check out the new dropper from OneUp. Their 150mm post is tuneable down to 100mm travel, and it has a low stack height. This way you'd be able to get the most drop possible while having the correct height at extension.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 9:31 Quote
mtbracken wrote:
Check out the new dropper from OneUp. Their 150mm post is tuneable down to 100mm travel, and it has a low stack height. This way you'd be able to get the most drop possible while having the correct height at extension.

Thanks man! Great idea!

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 10:42 Quote
jkelm wrote:
mtbracken wrote:

Thanks man! Great idea!

No prob. Just to be clear for others reading, the OneUp dropper can be set for any amount of travel between 100mm and 150mm.

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 13:38 Quote
Just ordered my CF Pro! Excited to get it and start riding!

Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 15:36 Quote
mtbracken wrote:
jkelm wrote:
mtbracken wrote:

Thanks man! Great idea!

No prob. Just to be clear for others reading, the OneUp dropper can be set for any amount of travel between 100mm and 150mm.

A redneck fix for an existing dropper is to use zip ties to build a chain between the base of the Post and the seat rail to limit the rise.

Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 18:56 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

A redneck fix for an existing dropper is to use zip ties to build a chain between the base of the Post and the seat rail to limit the rise.

Love it!

Posted: Apr 27, 2018 at 2:51 Quote
mtbracken wrote:

Do you know if I can run the one up post with the already installed e thirteen lever and cable?
I'm hoping to save myself the hassle at least

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2018 at 8:42 Quote
So I have an alternative to the kydex downtube protectors for those who need a quick solution or aren't comfortable working with kydex. I used 3M heavy duty electrical tape (3M 2229) which is available at most hardware stores and of course online. It's moldable so you can get it to look decent on curves and is super thick. The tape is 1 inch wide so I used 3 pieces side by side to get the coverage I wanted. Mine took a really hard hit from a rock that my front tire kicked up the other day and the bike frame underneath is dent free. My leg on the other hand is pretty banged up. This won't help too much if you ride into an object but it does protect from objects kicked up by the front tire.

DIY downtube protector with 3M 2229 mastic tape.

Posted: Apr 27, 2018 at 9:08 Quote
Can I hang my bike from the dropperpost on a bike stand, or will the weight of the bike damage the dropper? Should I just hang it from the top tube?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012899
Mobile Version of Website