YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
YT Jeffsy 27 thread - small wheels only...
Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 5:28 Quote
I pulled my cranks yesterday to replace the cracked pre-load ring. The crank bolt was tight but not overly so. I pulled mine with a 12" ratchet and a bit and it came off no problem. Remember if your using an allen key you don't have as much leverage and it's going to feel like it tighter than it really is. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Definitely want to torque it properly on reassembly.

zapat wrote:
Biffard wrote:
I don't know what torque it was tightened to but it was definitely concerning to me until I finally broke it loose.

Official torque on RF cranks is incredible 50Nm. I guess because it's not a clamp system like Shimanos, but a single screw.

Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 7:00 Quote
Grez wrote:
Another sizing question. (whilst stocks last)

ive just ordered a jeffsy cr one in a large but now thinking about the XL whilst i have chance to change my mind

my height is 187cm or just under 6'2' ive measured my inseam length as about 90cm or 35" but i only ever wear 34" leg jeans.

i been through this thread and read all sort about a long seat tube.

for those taller riders on here what size did you go for and whats your height.

with the xl and dropper down all the way is there enough room for a aggressive decent. also on climbs can you have the dropper fully extended?

i had a large bike previously and found the front wheel going light on slow steep climbs. the large version of the jeffsy has 20mm reach and 50mm wheelbase than my old
so many questions i know. owners please help me out Smile

I’m 6’ with a 32” inseam and I got the XL frame.
So normal riding I have the seat about 4-5” raised up from top of seat tube, and when the seat is all the way down there is plenty of room to get behind seat for descents no problem.
I certainly don’t use the full extension on the dropper but there is plenty extra for longer leg guys. I’m not home so I can’t measure but I will later and let you know. Even tho I got the XL I still wish the reach was longer as I find myself trying to scoot my butt back on the seat. I would say at your height you should definitely go with the XL.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 7:58 Quote
Grez wrote:

ive just ordered a jeffsy cr one in a large but now thinking about the XL whilst i have chance to change my mind

my height is 187cm or just under 6'2' ive measured my inseam length as about 90cm or 35" but i only ever wear 34" leg jeans.

with the xl and dropper down all the way is there enough room for a aggressive decent. also on climbs can you have the dropper fully extended?

i had a large bike previously and found the front wheel going light on slow steep climbs. the large version of the jeffsy has 20mm reach and 50mm wheelbase than my old bike

You will be ok on the XL as im 183cm and have one but with the dropper fully extended the seat post is about 10mm out of the seat stay.

Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 9:15 Quote
eerwin wrote:
Biffard wrote:
eerwin wrote:
So I recently ordered a Jeffsy 27 AL two because I'm a broke bastard and plus I like the black/white colorway more than the black/red. I figured I would just convert it to 1x myself. Curious to hear from anyone who has done this. Is it just as easy as swapping out the chainring and shortening the chain? Or do I need a new rear derailleur too? Is the SRAM GX rear derailleur specific for 2x11 or will it work 1x?

I was thinking my alternative option would be to switch over my Shimano SLX 1x11 drivetrain with XT shifter from my old hardtail I recently rebuilt and put the SRAM 2x on my hardtail assuming the GX front derailleur will work with my old hardtail. Will my Shimano SLX crankset work with the boosted rear wheel? Or would I need to add some kind of spacer?

I guess I can figure all of this out when I actually get the bike and have a chance to look it over in more detail but just wanted to hear from anyone that changed their Jeffsy 2x to 1x and what was required.

Just converted my Jeffsy 27 Al 2 to 1x last week. First, remove the front derailleur and front shifter. You should also have a bag full of odd pieces like headset spacers. In that bag is a triangular cover to put where the front derailleur was bolted to the frame.

Next, use an 8mm allen key and remove the drivetrain side of the crank. This is where I had the most difficulty because it was sooooo tight I thought I was going to break something. I actually had to use a cheater bar and finally got it undone with no damage. I don't know what torque it was tightened to but it was definitely concerning to me until I finally broke it loose.

Finally, take off the 2 chainrings attached to the spider and insert your cinch chainring. Then reinstall the crankarm and tighten to the appropriate torque. Then you should be done. Shifting was flawless out of the box and required no additional adjustment once I converted it to 1x.

I hope this helps and it really is a simple process.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the rear GX derailleur works great for 1x and no need to replace it.

Awesome thanks for the info and thanks for the heads up on the tightness of the crank. I was hoping it would be that easy but as I started to look into it more started wondering if it was going to be more involved.

Just got my shipping confirmation so hoping it will get here before Christmas!

I had the same issue - Crank bolt was so tight - I thought I was doing something wrong - In the end it couldn't be easier, once loosened.. I made a vid here.. https://youtu.be/_i-3KgDKB-k

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 10:09 Quote
Question: So my Jeffsy is making a sound coming from the headset, almost a clicking sound when I take sharp turns. The bike only has like 200 miles on it, so I'm wondering if I need to grease the headset or something like it

Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 10:59 Quote
I would certainly pull it apart and have a look. Pretty easy to do. Once you're in there see if the bearings are greased well. Either way I would clean all grease from the bearings, inspect the races and bearings for anything abnormal, then reassemble with fresh grease. Torque everything on reassembly.

ArcherMatt wrote:
Question: So my Jeffsy is making a sound coming from the headset, almost a clicking sound when I take sharp turns. The bike only has like 200 miles on it, so I'm wondering if I need to grease the headset or something like it

Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 11:03 Quote
ArcherMatt wrote:

I had a similar issue and it ended up being one of my stem bolts, just applied some grease to it and the clicking sound was gone.

Posted: Dec 23, 2017 at 1:26 Quote
Hi guys

Sizing question...im 180cm tall with an 85cm inseem. Thinking large as my legs are longer in proportion to my body

O+
Posted: Dec 24, 2017 at 20:40 Quote
alexfrazier wrote:
Hi guys

Sizing question...im 180cm tall with an 85cm inseem. Thinking large as my legs are longer in proportion to my body

I have an 84mm inseam an i'm 184cm tall, and the large fits me really nice. My guess is you'll be extremely happy on the large jeffsy, not cramped at all!

Posted: Jan 1, 2018 at 11:24 Quote
Has anyone fitted a mudhugger rear fender? If so what size fit best on the 27?

Posted: Jan 3, 2018 at 11:59 Quote
Grez wrote:
Grez wrote:

i had a large bike previously and found the front wheel going light on slow steep climbs. the large version of the jeffsy has 20mm reach and 50mm wheelbase than my old bike

After some measurements to help with my decision on sizing

What is the Measurement from pedal in the lower position to top of the seat with the dropper fully extended

On both the XL and L please peeps

If you have MEC store or Intense retailer in your area go sit on a L and XL Intense Recluse, very similar geometry and sizing. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and found that the XL was slightly too big with the dropper fully extended. You might be okay however with your longer inseam. I think some guys are getting the XL as they want as much reach as possible but I want to be able to use all the travel of the dropper, it would be annoying to have to stop it mid travel every time, plus when things get rowdy I want the seat well out of the way. Keep in mind its a trail bike so if you want to be cool with something longer, lower and slacker maybe look into something more enduro like a reign. In terms of the front wheel going light, I think that might be more of a body position issue rather than bike size, but I'm definitely no expert.

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 11:52 Quote
Gamefreak2281 wrote:
Has anyone fitted a mudhugger rear fender? If so what size fit best on the 27?

I went ahead and got the long version of the mudhugger rear fender and it fits perfectly!

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 16:50 Quote
spindrallis wrote:
Grez wrote:

i had a large bike previously and found the front wheel going light on slow steep climbs. the large version of the jeffsy has 20mm reach and 50mm wheelbase than my old

I’m 6’ with a 32” inseam and I got the XL frame.
So normal riding I have the seat about 4-5” raised up from top of seat tube, and when the seat is all the way down there is plenty of room to get behind seat for descents no problem.
I certainly don’t use the full extension on the dropper but there is plenty extra for longer leg guys. I’m not home so I can’t measure but I will later and let you know. Even tho I got the XL I still wish the reach was longer as I find myself trying to scoot my butt back on the seat. I would say at your height you should definitely go with the XL.

elementour wrote:
Grez wrote:

You will be ok on the XL as im 183cm and have one but with the dropper fully extended the seat post is about 10mm out of the seat stay.

rusbus123 wrote:
Grez wrote:
Grez wrote:

After some measurements to help with my decision on sizing

What is the Measurement from pedal in the lower position to top of the seat with the dropper fully extended

On both the XL and L please peeps

If you have MEC store or Intense retailer in your area go sit on a L and XL Intense Recluse, very similar geometry and sizing. I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and found that the XL was slightly too big with the dropper fully extended. You might be okay however with your longer inseam. I think some guys are getting the XL as they want as much reach as possible but I want to be able to use all the travel of the dropper, it would be annoying to have to stop it mid travel every time, plus when things get rowdy I want the seat well out of the way. Keep in mind its a trail bike so if you want to be cool with something longer, lower and slacker maybe look into something more enduro like a reign. In terms of the front wheel going light, I think that might be more of a body position issue rather than bike size, but I'm definitely no expert.

Thanks for the info guys. So i changed my order last minute and went for the XL. its arrived and feels good. i can have the dropper fully extended and the pedal position feels spot on and with the seat all the way down im flat footed with my knee's bent slightly once the suspension as compressed. would of been nice to of sat on large but never mind. more exciting is that I'm off out on it tomorrow for its maiden voyage Smile

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2018 at 7:52 Quote
What are peoples opinions on how the bike climbs? More so the AL One model.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013880
Mobile Version of Website