What is wrong with women's UCI Downhill?

PB Forum :: UCI DH World Cup
What is wrong with women's UCI Downhill?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 10:31 Quote
I have brought this up several times in the comments section of some articles only to find trolls bashing me for raising a perfectly good question.

When I was younger I played hockey. I was on a really good team...or so I thought. I was recruited by a wealthy business man who was coaching his sons team. I had previously played on teams with peers from my neighborhood. This was the first time I played on a team with peers from all around town. Everything was provided for us; skates, sticks, gear, etc..and not just run of the mill equipment, top of the line equipment. We had ice time 3-4 times a week. That was a big increase from past teams where we were lucky to get an hour of ice between games. We dominated the league, went undefeated all the way to the end of the payoffs. I thought we were really something special. Reflecting back on this we were not special at all. With recruited players, better equipment and more ice time than any other team we had no choice but to dominate. The playing field was not level.

Last season one rider dominated the UCI Women's Downhill. I don't need to mention her name because you already know it. Is she a God among women or given her families racing team, history and money is she receiving a level of training and support other women are not? I think this is a perfectly good question to ask so if you are offended and don't want to have a civil conversation please don't reply. I just don't have time for the angry trolls of Pinkbike.

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 10:43 Quote
I kinda feel like this question has been answered....

She is so good because she riders with her brother.

/ thread Salute

Posted: Mar 9, 2017 at 16:02 Quote
I think you have a point with your hockey team. Good equipment,coaching and practise time will make any team/person better. If I had to choose which factor is the most important, assuming all factors remain equal, I'd say the coaching. You can give anyone time and the top notch equipment, but as the saying goes perfect practise makes perfect. Sure there are the competitors that get by on sheer talent, but even then, a good the coach will hone the skill set. Will work on other factors ensuring the athlete remains focused. Is all this transpiring for Rachel? Is her work ethic more pronounced than that of her competitors? Does she just have more skill? Is her equipment better? Coaching? Family life? I'm not there to be able to pass judgement on these things, but from what I can see, she is driven, has some of the best equipment and has the fearless skill set that has given her amazing results.
Having said all that... I think Miriam Nicole will be a force to be reckoned with this year.
Just my two cents

Posted: Mar 9, 2017 at 16:04 Quote
I think you have a point with your hockey team. Good equipment,coaching and practise time will make any team/person better. If I had to choose which factor is the most important, assuming all factors remain equal, I'd say the coaching. You can give anyone time and the top notch equipment, but as the saying goes perfect practise makes perfect. Sure there are the competitors that get by on sheer talent, but even then, a good the coach will hone the skill set. Will work on other factors ensuring the athlete remains focused. Is all this transpiring for Rachel? Is her work ethic more pronounced than that of her competitors? Does she just have more skill? Is her equipment better? Coaching? Family life? I'm not there to be able to pass judgement on these things, but from what I can see, she is driven, has some of the best equipment and has the fearless skill set that has given her amazing results.
Having said all that... I think Miriam Nicole will be a force to be reckoned with this year.
Just my two cents

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 13:47 Quote
You are comparing a team sport to an individual (time trial) sport. Riding with faster (bro's) people helps a lot too. I think she would be faster then everyone else even if she was on a hard tail. She is just fast!

Mod Plus
Posted: Jun 3, 2017 at 13:43 Quote
MX298 wrote:
You are comparing a team sport to an individual (time trial) sport. Riding with faster (bro's) people helps a lot too. I think she would be faster then everyone else even if she was on a hard tail. She is just fast!

But she is fast I would argue due to the advantages she has.. she has had all the support since an early age. Not many women riders grow up and have two constant training companions that are better than them and that can help them master their craft. The ones that do have that kind of support often standout as they are fast. A lot of elite women racers are also working jobs to cover their life expenses and aren't able to dedicate their waking hours to riding, whereas if you happen to follow her on Facebook - you see her posting how's she's spending the winter in California or wherever with her brothers over winter months to train. Most elite women riders don't have the kind of support where they can relocate throughout the year to maximize their training...

I think if you took all that support away now, she'd still be at the top of the game because she has been able to build up an amazing skill set, but had she not received that kind of support and training from an early age and stumbled into racing later with less support like most women.. I'm not sure she'd be topping the podium. With her it's really hard to tell where the natural talent ends and where thousands of hours of training and $$$ have paid off, because overall there is also much less competition, and many less riders with her advantages compared to the male elites.

Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 8:24 Quote
just because the Yankees have enough capital to buy several MLB franchises and spend the money to buy the best players doesn't mean they are guaranteed to win the World Series. The Girls go talent, having the added support and equipment is just a bonus. It just means the others need to train harder and work harder. Look at Gwin. Amazing Talent. He started in Moto and the 1st time on a DH bike and 1st race I think he said in an interview that he got 3rd or 4th(?). Fast forward time, look at how many manufacture changes he's gone through and still dominates to today. It's not necessarily the equipment you have, it's how you use it to your advantage. She is amazing and absolutely gorgeous! right there with April Lawyer, and Tara Lanes but that's a different era of biking

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018164
Mobile Version of Website