What bike for NZ?

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
What bike for NZ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 22:08 Quote
Hey PB Kiwis,

I'm planning on moving back to New Zealand (most likely Wellington at first but I hope to settle somewhere else later) after 15 years abroad, currently in Vancouver and trying to work out what to do with my cache of bikes. Currently I have a 2015 Demo8 for a DH bike, a 2015 fully specced out Reign 2 and a roady to get around on. I want to consolidate my mtbs down to one, that I can ride it all on.

I like riding steep, fast and chunky technical terrain mostly, but enjoy getting loose on flow freeride trails too. I'm getting into enduro racing (i know, who isn't) this season but riding uphill is just that to me, I don't really care how fast I go as long as I can bomb it back down as fast as possible Big Grin Mostly local trails at first but I'm looking forward to hitting Rotovegas, Queenstown and Christchurch bike parks too - but that will be a rare occasion, unlike the at least once a week I hit Whistler during summer now.

My riding style has been more of a "line it up and plow through the terrain" style, but I'm working on getting lighter on the bike.

I've heard the trails aren't as chunky as I'm used to here in BC and perhaps a 160mm enduro bike might be too much - I'm on the verge of ordering a Yeti SB6C to replace both as it seems they're a bit more playful and a better climber than the Reign but just as talented on the downhill. Friends are suggesting I look at a smaller bike - SB5.5 maybe.

What do you guys think? 130mm-140mm is enough for NZ? Or stick to the burlier bike and drop the cash on the SB6c?

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 at 22:37 Quote
nickw686 wrote:
Hey PB Kiwis,

I'm planning on moving back to New Zealand (most likely Wellington at first but I hope to settle somewhere else later) after 15 years abroad, currently in Vancouver and trying to work out what to do with my cache of bikes. Currently I have a 2015 Demo8 for a DH bike, a 2015 fully specced out Reign 2 and a roady to get around on. I want to consolidate my mtbs down to one, that I can ride it all on.

I like riding steep, fast and chunky technical terrain mostly, but enjoy getting loose on flow freeride trails too. I'm getting into enduro racing (i know, who isn't) this season but riding uphill is just that to me, I don't really care how fast I go as long as I can bomb it back down as fast as possible Big Grin Mostly local trails at first but I'm looking forward to hitting Rotovegas, Queenstown and Christchurch bike parks too - but that will be a rare occasion, unlike the at least once a week I hit Whistler during summer now.

My riding style has been more of a "line it up and plow through the terrain" style, but I'm working on getting lighter on the bike.

I've heard the trails aren't as chunky as I'm used to here in BC and perhaps a 160mm enduro bike might be too much - I'm on the verge of ordering a Yeti SB6C to replace both as it seems they're a bit more playful and a better climber than the Reign but just as talented on the downhill. Friends are suggesting I look at a smaller bike - SB5.5 maybe.

What do you guys think? 130mm-140mm is enough for NZ? Or stick to the burlier bike and drop the cash on the SB6c?

Hey,

I'm in chch and I own and SB6C. Been riding in queenstown, alexandra, nelson, rotorua, craigieburn and its a superb all rounder that can plough through the rough stuff. Wouldn't want any other bike

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010320
Mobile Version of Website