Advice for Spring Trip from Oz to Banff & BC

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Advice for Spring Trip from Oz to Banff & BC
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 1:29 Quote
Howdy, a few questions if you will for an up coming trip the Mrs and I are doing later this year. coming all the way from down under in Oz. tup
fly into Calgary 13 April, fly back 28 April from Vancouver. week of late season skiing in Banff then overland via either Kamloops or Kelowna/Penticton (TBC) for 4-5 nights of wine and trails and touristy stuff.
heard about the trails and been scoping them in trail forks Drool

Firstly - where to ride and how
Helmet
I'm planning to do 3-4 days mtb riding, hopefully some shuttle days too and will need to hire a bike (and possibly helmet unless its best to bring my own).
Any recommendations for where I can readily do this and what operators / bike shops there are regarding these areas?
if we go to Kamloops we not have a car. otherwise if we drive it will be via Kelowna or Penticton and I could get the Mrs to shuttle me for half a day here and there or drive myself out to peddle round.
I like challenging all-mtn but nothing too crazy. I rode Mt Fromme a few years back and enjoyed Bobsled, Floppy Bunny and Pipeline.

Secondly - what waterproof shells do people run?
any recommendations on a waterproof jacket shell? I've heard that Canucks say there's not such thing as bad weather just bad clothes - so i'll ask the experts Wink I'm in the market for a new one and might grab it first thing on arrival in Calgary, or I could web-order and mail it to the hotel or a friend. I'd like it light and breathable with no insulation (its sub-tropical here at home). pit-zips under the arm and 2-way main zip for getting air into it. I'd use for riding, snow boarding, plus general day use. so a degree of durability is needed.

Thirdly (and most importantly) - beer me Beer
if you are about and it works lets grab a beer!
happy to buy beer for assistance and info

Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 17:01 Quote
I use arcteryx kit for shells, but I would not overlook hunting stores for shells as well. They have lots of choices, good products, and more than fairly priced. Don't buy mtn bike specific shells. Rip offs IMO

Jim, you should post up on the older rider but not old school thread. It would provide you a lot of great advice. For real.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2017 at 18:42 Quote
I don't bother using a shell jacket because they don't breath well unless I'm just doing only shuttle/lift access runs. A layer of Under Armor Cold Gear under my riding gear works better for breathing when some real pedaling is involved, and then a change of clothes for after.

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 2:28 Quote
DugS wrote:
I don't bother using a shell jacket because they don't breath well unless I'm just doing only shuttle/lift access runs. A layer of Under Armor Cold Gear under my riding gear works better for breathing when some real pedaling is involved, and then a change of clothes for after.

i know what you mean, i generally only wear a shell riding when its between -2 to 6 deg Celsius otherwise i run too hot. even then i just have a light weight merino LS thermal. its the same snow boarding at a similar temp range but with neck gaiter etc, and maybe an extra thermal t-shirt.

Since leaving the UK I've not had to worry about riding in cold wet conditions but wanted to be prepared to make the most of my time in BC. i'm a big fan of merino wool and it should work similar to your suggestion. you only get wet once - why try fight it.

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 2:46 Quote
obee1 wrote:
I use arcteryx kit for shells, but I would not overlook hunting stores for shells as well. They have lots of choices, good products, and more than fairly priced. Don't buy mtn bike specific shells. Rip offs IMO

Jim, you should post up on the older rider but not old school thread. It would provide you a lot of great advice. For real.

so you think i'll be able find something in Calgary? I looked in some shops the other day, i'm hoping i get something around $320 CAD, although it wasn't had to see some fine examples double that!

we don't really get hunting stores just military surplus/disposal stores with mostly old school tech

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 6:48 Quote
yeah. the last time i was in straya it was pricey as hell. nz was worse. calgary has a shit ton of outdoor stores, and the big box hunting shops have caught my eye recently for all things outdoor related. merrino wool is the top of the breathable/insulating gear list for me as well.
i think you will be able to find what you are looking for-for sure. but if i was prepping my trip in oz and saw a shell that i thought would do the trick, i would buy it just to get that out of the way.

FL
Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 16:10 Quote
It's Just my opinion but don't spend to much time in the Kelowna area. Sure its nice enough but I woul rather spend my time in Squamish. If you're not booking everything ahead of time let the weather be your guide. Go where it's not raining.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 4:30 Quote
threeohsix wrote:
It's Just my opinion but don't spend to much time in the Kelowna area. Sure its nice enough but I woul rather spend my time in Squamish. If you're not booking everything ahead of time let the weather be your guide. Go where it's not raining.

will it be a straight forward affair to get my hands on a bike to hire in that area?
and what do you like about the trails there? I wouldn't mind doing some shuttle days but nothing "BC in the magazines triple black diamond crazy"

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 4:34 Quote
first few nights booked
12-13 April in Calgary
14-18 April in Banff
3 weeks away now Big Grin

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 6:53 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
first few nights booked
12-13 April in Calgary
14-18 April in Banff
3 weeks away now Big Grin

if you want to ride in calgary or banff jim pm me and we will throw something together.

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 at 5:38 Quote
just the 1 day now and I'll be on the plan for the 15 hr leg into Calgary.

getting excited!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.049712
Mobile Version of Website