Need help deciding between multiple bikes

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Need help deciding between multiple bikes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 11:48 Quote
I'm planning on buying a new bike in a couple months, something in the 160-170mm rear travel bracket with a max price of $5k. The bikes currently on the list are the Balance, Firebird, Rune, Spartan, and Slayer. I'll be able to demo the Balance, Firebird, and Spartan. (I can get a discount on the Firebird of Spartan through a LBS

The bike will be replacing my 2012 NS Soda Fr as I've started to do more pedaling and the Soda is not that great at peddling. I love the playful feel of the Soda and that's the main thing I'm looking for, a playful bikes. I travel up to Whistler and hit Steven's Pass a few times during the summer so the bike will be doing park duty.

Just wondering what people's opinions are on any of these bikes and if there are any others I should be considering.

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 19:16 Quote
Consider the yt capra

Posted: Feb 21, 2017 at 23:34 Quote
Balance with a coil.

Kills it

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 0:24 Quote
Spartan is about to change (probably get longer) so I wouldn't invest in one now. I've only pedaled a Firebird around a parking lot but it seems like it would be a killer descender and if you can get a discount that would help get better spec for your money as they are not cheap.

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 4:56 Quote
I don't know if I could get a large enough discount on the Firebird to move up spec levels, Im also sort of unimpressed with the spec I could afford.

I've looked at the Capra, and considered it, but I won't have the chance to demo one. I can demo all the others.

As of now Im leaning towards the Balance with the Firebird as the next ppssible bike.

Haha, now the next question is, do I get the factory build or buy a frame and build it myself.

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 7:29 Quote
I never want to pedal a Spartan uphill ever again.

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 8:43 Quote
Bushamster21 wrote:

Haha, that bad? I thought they were supposed to be decent climbers.

O+
Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 19:58 Quote
I've been riding the Firebird for the past two months and love it. Better climber than the Mach 6 and descends like a beast. It shouldn't be this good at climbing AND descending but it is. The few guys I know that have spent time on it all say the same thing.

Haven't ridden the slayer but the few guys I know that have spent time on it (one is a development rider for a major bike co) did not like it the suspension... second hand but I trust their judgement.

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 21:09 Quote
Electrin wrote:
Bushamster21 wrote:

Haha, that bad? I thought they were supposed to be decent climbers.

I've demoed or ridden these bikes:
Kona Process 153 ('15, '16, and '17)
Kona Process134 DL
Kona Honzo DL
Pivot Mach 6
Devinci Spartan and Troy
Ibis HD3
Salsa Horsethief
Transition Patrol
Yeti SB6c, SB5c, and SB5.5c
Rocky Altitude
Intense Uzzi
Giant Reign
Santa Cruz Nomad, Bronson, and Hightower (just one lap on the nomad though)

There's probably others but those are the ones I can remember but yeah the Spartan was no fun. Everything was better uphill than it, except the Uzzi. Top ascenders go to the HD3 and the Altitude. The Patrol was also surprisingly efficient back to back with the Process 153.

On the flip side the Spartan absolutely demolished the descents. Devinci came around twice and I got to demo the '16 model both times. So I got to demo other bikes in between the two outings with it and it didn't climb as well as others. (Rocky, Yeti, Santa Cruz). If I was riding mostly lift access (75% or more) it would be a very serious contender.

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 4:37 Quote
Demoed a firebird last weekend. It peddles uphill way better than you would expect when considering how well sorted it is on the downs. I took it to a local downhill track to get a feel for it against my yeti sb6. It peddles up pretty much as well as the yeti however it did feel heavier.
Pointed downhill it is in another league compared to the yeti.
Im sold and currently trying to sell a kidney to fund one....

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 13:48 Quote
So it seems like the consensus is that the Spartan would be good if I didn't pdeal much. Since I'm getting a new bike because I want a better pedaling bike, the Spartan seems out.

It's now between the Balance and the Firebird. I'll be able to demo them back to back on the same trails but unfortunately there aren't any dh runs where I'll be demoing them.

Probably end up coming down to if I can get the Firebird on sale/discount. Although it seems that the Balance has a better spec for a lower price point, at least suspension wise which is what I care about the most.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 15:21 Quote
ROFF wrote:
Balance with a coil.

Kills it

this guy speaks the truth.
photo

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 19:20 Quote
My Rune was a pig uphill, it would climb but it would suck the life out of you doing it. I recently switched to a Trek Slash and it runs circles around the Rune. The Rune was a blast in the bike park setup slack but it wasn't something you would want to earn your descents on.

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 21:41 Quote
You cant go wrong with a specialized enduro, they are very good bikes. Extremely good climbers and so much fun going down. The new ones a very competitively priced along with specialized bikes being very durable.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013140
Mobile Version of Website