What does the size of shocks mean

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What does the size of shocks mean
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 19:28 Quote
I have been looking at different shocks for my bike and right now I have a fox float performance with a 7.875 eye to eye length. How would i find the travel on my shock and how would i find the travel on a shock on line with a size like this 7.875/2.25

Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 20:31 Quote
The amount of travel your bike has is the amount of rear wheel travel (ie. 160mm, 200mm etc.) The 2.25 on the shock you found online is the shock stroke the amount of physical space on the shock shaft. Look at manual for your frame to see what travel your bike has.

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 9:19 Quote
7.875"/200mm shocks come in both 51mm and 57mm stroke, so if you're asking about buying a 7.875x2.25" shock for your bike, first you need to confirm the stock shock's stroke. If it came with a 2" stroke and you installed a 2.25" shock, there is a chance of linkage/frame/tire contact and damage since it would allow a deeper bottomout than the bike was designed for.
Like was said checking your bike's specs is a good place to start. Or, if you let out all the air and bottom the shock, then reinflate, you should be able to measure the stroke between the o-ring and the wiper.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011362
Mobile Version of Website