Tire Pressures?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Tire Pressures?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 22, 2017 at 23:01 Quote
Hello,
I'm not new to BMX, but I'm definitely no pro. But my friend and I do big drops and stair cases on our bikes but we run different pressures and definitely think different. He runs about 25-30 psi and I run about 50-60 we are both pretty light but when he drops he says he feels his rims "pinch" (he is DEFINITELY on the verge of a pinch flat) and he loves when it happens. To him it's like the bike telling him he found the right pressure. To me that's pretty scary. And when we do big drops he says I'm running too much pressure to do the drop or stair case and I explain that I just have to land more gracefully.
What tire pressures do you run?

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 2:10 Quote
It all depends on how smooth you are, and if you have chunky tyres (2.3inch and wider)

I can land a 6ft drop with 20psi in each tyre (26" trials bike) without pinching because I absorb the impact with my legs etc. However, on my bmx and jump bike, I run 45psi front, and 70psi rear.

If you're bombing down stairs, I'd put in the maximum pressure your back tyre allows. Same in the front, but maybe 10psi less than max for comfort. The rear wheel takes the most abuse, I've managed fine with like 30psi in the front but you don't want a front tyre blowing out when you land (trust me) so put more in.

By the way, your friend who loves flat tyres is a goon. You should NEVER feel the rim through the tyre when you land. He's talking out of his ass.

bigquotesTo him it's like the bike telling him he found the right pressure.

To everyone else, it's the sign you need more pressure.

It does help to be smooth though. Try doing some small drops and try to land silently. You will learn to land more gently. It's better for your bike, and your body. Probably.

Posted: Feb 23, 2017 at 5:55 Quote
Your buddy is a fruit, pump up your tires kid..

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 4:07 Quote
Get fatter tires, tubes that handle more pressure and run just under the max. Like 80-100. I run a set of Primo Churchill tires that are 2.5 wide after filling up, with Fit tubes made for fat tires. I could run up to 110psi, but I find just about 95-100 is good for me.

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 5:29 Quote
He doesn't need fatter tires or tubes or to spend any money...

He needs pressure..

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 5:30 Quote
We probably won't see the OP again..

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 16:11 Quote
Thanks everyone, I've been running 60 psi and my friend won't change his mindset. He recently flatspotted his new rims.

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 16:11 Quote
We both have 2.4's

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 16:48 Quote
Borgnar14 wrote:
Thanks everyone, I've been running 60 psi and my friend won't change his mindset. He recently flatspotted his new rims.

Hey, there you are, wasnt sure if.you'd be back...lol..

To add, I personally run street tires between 65 and 85 depending on the tire, dirt a little lower 40-60, DH a little lower still..

Posted: Feb 27, 2017 at 20:57 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Borgnar14 wrote:

Hey, there you are, wasnt sure if.you'd be back...lol..

To add, I personally run street tires between 65 and 85 depending on the tire, dirt a little lower 40-60, DH a little lower still..

Yah, lol, thanks.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010512
Mobile Version of Website