Is this a huge rip off?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Is this a huge rip off?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 17:05 Quote
I have been looking at signle speed kits and figured i would check one of the lbs's website and found a single speed convertion kit for 95$ !!!!! this is what it says on the website:

"Single Speed Kit

Everything you need all wrapped up in a nice little kit.

Singlespeed Kit Includes:
-Rennen Rollenlager
-16T Surly Stainless Steel Cog
-half-link (3/32" or 1/8")
-set of 5 aluminum spacers

Price: $95"

exuse me if im wrong but isnt that wwaaayyyy to much for a kit?

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 17:06 Quote
No, they usually cost about $45 or so, so if they're including a half link chain I'd say that should be around that price...

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 17:18 Quote
Rennen's are the best tensioners, so it's worth the money

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
nah i payed 105 for mine.... has ybn mask chain dont know what sprocket and some nice polished aluminum spacers and half link

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 17:37 Quote
shit, and here i thought i would be paying around $30 for mine

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 17:43 Quote
uh i have been looking around and you can buy a SS kit on jensonusa.com for like 30 dollars and a half link is like 20 so ya i think that is a rip off

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 17:52 Quote
ahah what a rip off I sell them New from A2Z for 10 dollars!

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 18:52 Quote
I'd say it's a rip. we sell them at my shop for $39.99.

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 at 8:04 Quote
I'd say for what you're getting, that's an awesome deal.
Here's what just the tensioner costs from a Mail Order company.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15164-075_RENRL6-3-Parts-664-Single-Speed-Parts/Rennen-Rollenlager-Single-Speed-Chain-Tensioner.htm

$47US. So about $50 CDN. Figure about $75 once it gets to you, if you ordered it through them.
Your shop is including the spacers, cog, as well as a chain.

I believe if your bike has vertical drop outs you need to run the tensioner to get the correct set up, not just the spacers and cog.

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 at 9:51 Quote
generally the kits you get from shops and jensonusa are just the spacers, maybe the ss cog... the rennen as said before is an amazing tensioner, one of the best on the market, and a halflink chain is nice, although not necessary.

its not a bad deal, but if you have a bike with horizontal dropouts, you could get away with a $30 spacer kit and use your current chain and a cog out of a cassette.

Posted: Feb 12, 2008 at 17:30 Quote
No, I wouldn't say that's a rip-off. If you bought those parts individually, you would probably spend about $110. I say no, that is by no means a rip.

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 at 7:18 Quote
mine was $10
then the tensioner was $15

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 at 8:22 Quote
if its spacers that you need go to ur lbs and ask them for a few (3) old worn out cassettes. if you can get 7,8,9 spd ones then the spaccer width will be different and youll be able play around with different widths to get it perfect. them hammer out the pins that hold it together from the back. youll have all the spacers you need. use an old mech as a tensioner with no top jockey wkeel and bobs your mothers brother.

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 at 8:26 Quote
-jumpstyle- wrote:
mine was $10
What tensiour do you have though?
The ones that just push down on the chain arnt neathly as good as a reenie . I have a dmr and its a great tensiour. I payed 150 for mines with labor and every thing

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 at 8:49 Quote
rockymountianflow wrote:
-jumpstyle- wrote:
mine was $10
What tensiour do you have though?
The ones that just push down on the chain arnt neathly as good as a reenie . I have a dmr and its a great tensiour. I payed 150 for mines with labor and every thing
the tensioner sucks. it has this part that goes and hits your frame, i hate it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020966
Mobile Version of Website