3/8"axles + pegs=death?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
3/8"axles + pegs=death?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 20:54 Quote
yeah, threaded pegs were abandoned because of stripping and cross threading.

However if it was threaded for about an inch, and an inch or so long, i dont see it being a problem.

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 20:57 Quote
fufalump wrote:
yeah, threaded pegs were abandoned because of stripping and cross threading.

However if it was threaded for about an inch, and an inch or so long, i dont see it being a problem.
Yea I was going to say I doubt superstar would come out with a peg that's going to cross thread, I jsut hate the fact that they are 9.99 each for like 2.8 ounces of metal. Something that owuld be fun to make yourself.

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 21:03 Quote
anyone ran the superstars? i was thinkin of getting them cause i have been riding pegless more now. i was trying axle grinds with double nuts on concrete but it didnt turn out so well *chainstays cry out in pain*

i think i might try the shadow little ones perhaps.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 11:42 Quote
really, just get someone to weld a socket to your axle nut and bam.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 15:51 Quote
fufalump wrote:
really, just get someone to weld a socket to your axle nut and bam.

sweet, i have a welder at home so i might give 'er a try.

btw, for anyone wondering, axle grinds + rough concrete = baaadd

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 21:36 Quote
Just make sure your axles are cut, otherwise it will bottom out on the socket square.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 21:39 Quote
I posted this earlier in the thread but no one responded. Will running 14 mm pegs on a 3/8ths axle make it bend easier or anything like, whats the real risk of doing this besides and un even peg.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 22:09 Quote
bradyc wrote:
I posted this earlier in the thread but no one responded. Will running 14 mm pegs on a 3/8ths axle make it bend easier or anything like, whats the real risk of doing this besides and un even peg.

i'm guessing it would make it easier, because the peg would be twisting on the axle. would probably bugger up your threads at least. but dont most pegs come with a little adapter anyways?

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 7:22 Quote
They have adaptors for that.

I have 3/8ths axles and 14mm pegs. I made myself some adaptors and they work fine.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 0:50 Quote
I hate to necro an old thread, but I am looking at buying a Verde Modus, and it seems to have a 3/8" axle on the front. Is it a standard hub, or a femaled hub? If I was learning grinds and stalls, and if I weigh 60 kilos (about 140 lbs), would I bend the axle pretty quickly?

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 2:57 Quote
depends are you a hack?, if not then they'll be fine i am 130 and i have a femaled axle up front.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 3:07 Quote
ron-burgundy wrote:
depends are you a hack?, if not then they'll be fine i am 130 and i have a femaled axle up front.

I think it's a standard, not a femaled axle.

I'm not sure if I'm a "hack", I try to be easy and not slam the bike on everything... I usually don't have a problem with keeping wheels in true and such. But I will be just learning to grind and stall on pegs, so I guess I will do some hackish things for the first couple weeks.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 15:18 Quote
i ride 14 mill axles front and back! for life!

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 15:24 Quote
victorp wrote:
i ride 14 mill axles front and back! for life!

Same here. I'd kill a 3/8s so fast. They just can't handle smith grinds and tooth picks on rough ledges like a 14mm can. 3/8th female is fine though, but I have no need to switch out my front end.

Back to the Verde, I'm pretty sure it's a male axle, my friend has a Verde complete. And as long as you're smooth, a regular 3/8ths should last quite a while. So I would say learn rear peg grinds like feebles first to get the hang of grinding.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 23:03 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
Back to the Verde, I'm pretty sure it's a male axle, my friend has a Verde complete. And as long as you're smooth, a regular 3/8ths should last quite a while. So I would say learn rear peg grinds like feebles first to get the hang of grinding.

Probably getting a Fit instead, but your advice is still sound. Thanks. I guess it's feebles only for me for the first couple weeks.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022166
Mobile Version of Website