Opinions on going from AM Full Suspension to AM Hardtail

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Opinions on going from AM Full Suspension to AM Hardtail
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 3, 2017 at 16:01 Quote
nullpointers wrote:
Been riding a 2015 Santa Cruz Chameleon lately and absolutely love it. Running a 130mm pike on the front with 67 degree head angle and it absolutely blasts down trails I thought would have been too much. I fully expected to be slower...and I was at first because picking my lines had more...ahem consequence haha but I rip with that thing now.
Bottom of Alsea Falls after some fantastic trips down the hill
  Bottom of Alsea Falls after some fantastic trips down the hill

Thats solid! I have a feeling ill be running into similar consequences you experienced until I get that hang of it, but im stoked to get on it!

Posted: Mar 4, 2017 at 11:36 Quote
A nice AM HT can take you down any trail a FS can, albeit a bit slower and you're gonna feel beaten up sooner. They are great fun and my personal choice as a quiver killer.

Posted: Mar 4, 2017 at 13:28 Quote
the idea of a hardtail sounds good for an extra bike to goof around on but life is a marathon not a sprint,if you ride rough trails they tend to beat you up,no doubt about it

Posted: Mar 4, 2017 at 15:07 Quote
Whilst out on the trails on my hardtail ,I got speaking to a bloke on another hardtail around my age (51ish) . Who in my eyes summed up the hardcore hardtail thing. He said he was getting to old for hardtails, his body couldn't take it anymore, it was time to get a soft tail he said LOL. Obviously soft tails always gonna be faster downhill, but on the flat nothing in it, and uphill a good hardtail will be quicker than a average soft tail in my opinion. It's the man that makes the bike, not the bike that makes the man. I'd say having a 456evo2 (A extremely unforgiving bike)steel frame hardtail for a couple of years and riding in all conditions , I found its only in really dry hardpacked conditions that it batters your body, in soft to muddy conditions it not too bad really. So I'd say get a cromo long travel hardtail and a good soft tail and they will both make you appreciate the other.

O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 9:29 Quote
How's the fit with 3" tires? Have you experienced any rubbing on the frame? What inner width rims are you running?

powthief19 wrote:
photo
I built up a canfield nimble 9 with 3" bridger tires on 27.5 wheels with a Fox 34 140mm fork. Its a whole new type of fun!

Honestly, it brings me back to my earlier days of riding my stump jumper hardtail on Canfield Mountain in CDA Idaho... except this thing is an insane amount of fun. Climbs like crazy, shreds the downhill, it does take some getting used to though!

Do it!

(disclaimer- i still have my 2017 enduro and won't be selling it anytime soon!)

• Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012712
Mobile Version of Website