31.8mm vs 35mm bars

Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Mar 2, 2017 at 0:12 Quote
Anyone try the new wider bars and if so what are the pros and cons?
I just bought a renthal fat bar set up plus apex stem but in 31.8mm am I missing out?

Posted: Mar 2, 2017 at 1:49 Quote
Medicfung wrote:

I just bought a renthal fat bar set up plus apex stem but in 31.8mm am I missing out?
I'm so very sorry for you sir - undoubtedly girls will shun you, flowers in your garden will cease blooming, house prices in your area will nose dive etc...
But no, you're probably not really missing out. I recently bought a set of Easton Haven 35s and they're great, but only did so because I got a good deal on them so decided to give them a go, rather than any specific desire for 35. They are extremely stiff, almost on the verge of being too much so, and indeed I've still not met anyone running a decent 31.8 bar who has any issues with excessive flex in them. I'll certainly be keeping the 31.8 bars that are on my main ride.
I've largely concluded that 35 is a new standard intented to sell things, but then I am prone to cynicism and could be missing something I guess Razz

Posted: Mar 2, 2017 at 6:53 Quote
thanks man, you diverted me from blowing another $200 on stupid stuff.

Posted: Mar 2, 2017 at 8:28 Quote
Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is pretty pointless on this one. 35mm has let them shave a few grams though but nothing groundbreaking here.

Posted: Mar 2, 2017 at 18:15 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
Medicfung wrote:

I just bought a renthal fat bar set up plus apex stem but in 31.8mm am I missing out?
I'm so very sorry for you sir - undoubtedly girls will shun you, flowers in your garden will cease blooming, house prices in your area will nose dive etc...
But no, you're probably not really missing out. I recently bought a set of Easton Haven 35s and they're great, but only did so because I got a good deal on them so decided to give them a go, rather than any specific desire for 35. They are extremely stiff, almost on the verge of being too much so, and indeed I've still not met anyone running a decent 31.8 bar who has any issues with excessive flex in them. I'll certainly be keeping the 31.8 bars that are on my main ride.
I've largely concluded that 35 is a new standard intented to sell things, but then I am prone to cynicism and could be missing something I guess Razz

Did you go with Carbon or Aluminum Eastons?

Posted: Mar 3, 2017 at 0:19 Quote
The carbons - not found a set of alu bars that I like the feel of, compared to the generally better vibration damping of carbon or titanium.
This set went on a fully rigid bike so may in part be why the stiffness is so noticeable, but despite that I do still find them very comfortable. I'd certainly buy Havens again, just wouldn't really care whether they were the 31.8 or 35 (assuming no other differences - in practice I think they come in slightly different widths...)

Posted: Mar 3, 2017 at 0:58 Quote
I’ve been running my 35mm Easton Havoc carbon bars and 50mm stem for over 4 years now and they are definitely betterer than 31.8, ‘cause it’s a bigger number. Smile

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 at 11:27 Quote
Medicfung wrote:
Anyone try the new wider bars and if so what are the pros and cons?
I just bought a renthal fat bar set up plus apex stem but in 31.8mm am I missing out?

Haha I've been going back to 31.8 for MORE flex, it's better for my hands for long days at the bike park... weird huh? Facepalm

Posted: Jun 27, 2017 at 14:49 Quote
Nothing beats 25.4 for flex...........

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
can i use a size 35mm barwith a 31.8mm stem?

Posted: Nov 15, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
MTBCamerongoldy wrote:
can i use a size 35mm barwith a 31.8mm stem?
Nope

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 4:20 Quote
"can i use a size 35mm barwith a 31.8mm stem? "

Really ?

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 6:53 Quote
MTBCamerongoldy wrote:
can i use a size 35mm barwith a 31.8mm stem?
If you file the stem down yes, should you take a file to your stem, probably not. But it’s always an option

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 7:42 Quote
Medicfung wrote:
Anyone try the new wider bars and if so what are the pros and cons?
I just bought a renthal fat bar set up plus apex stem but in 31.8mm am I missing out?

This was a test for Spank Vibrocore bars but should have some good info why you don't want 35mm. https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/spank-industries-green-filler-carbon-killer-review-oozy-trail-760-vibrocore-bar/

"35mm bar clamp (alloy): 35mm alloy bars actually damp the least in the resonance range while also resonating at lower frequencies — the worst performers."

If you're paranoid about snapping your bars than I would think 35mm are stronger. Or if you just want something super stiff.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
Medicfung wrote:
Anyone try the new wider bars and if so what are the pros and cons?
I just bought a renthal fat bar set up plus apex stem but in 31.8mm am I missing out?

This was a test for Spank Vibrocore bars but should have some good info why you don't want 35mm. https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/spank-industries-green-filler-carbon-killer-review-oozy-trail-760-vibrocore-bar/

"35mm bar clamp (alloy): 35mm alloy bars actually damp the least in the resonance range while also resonating at lower frequencies — the worst performers."

If you're paranoid about snapping your bars than I would think 35mm are stronger. Or if you just want something super stiff.

You're replying to a post from 2017, the guy might be dead now for all you know.

(Likely because his 31.8mm bars snapped)

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018450
Mobile Version of Website