Giant Reign 1 2017 VS Giant Trance 1 2017

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Giant Reign 1 2017 VS Giant Trance 1 2017
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2018 at 16:20 Quote
brandonbergey wrote:
Hopefully this doesn't take us off course. My question: is there a bike out there that has the Reign down abilities and the Trance trail abilities?

There are a lot that claim to, but I think the only one that really does it is the Canyon Strive. Even then, it's less "50% Trance, 50% Reign", and more "40% Trance, 40% Reign, and 20% something in the middle".

Posted: Apr 12, 2018 at 18:33 Quote
Hey guys not trying to spam but one of my friends rides a Giant Reign 2 and another friend rides the Reign SX (longer and more downhill worthy).

I’ll post the hyperlink so you can see them ride, the riding is in SoCal and starts a couple minutes in.

Link:
https://youtu.be/UJm3xgRx7Yk

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 13:10 Quote
cdmbmw wrote:
brandonbergey wrote:
Hopefully this doesn't take us off course. My question: is there a bike out there that has the Reign down abilities and the Trance trail abilities?

Trek Remedy

OK! I've had my eye on that bike... glad to hear of this. Have you ridden it since the geo change in 2017? Have you ridden the 29er before the geo change? The 2016 29er seems to get awesome reviews as being great up AND down.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 13:31 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
brandonbergey wrote:

There are a lot that claim to, but I think the only one that really does it is the Canyon Strive. Even then, it's less "50% Trance, 50% Reign", and more "40% Trance, 40% Reign, and 20% something in the middle".

Checking it out now. The Shapeshifter reminds me of the Scott Genius (but this seems to make a bigger difference). Spectral also looks cool. What would you say the 20% something different is?

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 14:46 Quote
brandonbergey wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:
brandonbergey wrote:

Checking it out now. The Shapeshifter reminds me of the Scott Genius (but this seems to make a bigger difference). Spectral also looks cool. What would you say the 20% something different is?

Maybe something like a YT Jeffsy, more downhill capable than the Trance, more Pedal friendly than the Reign.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 15:19 Quote
brandonbergey wrote:

I'd say a long travel 29er would get close. The Hightower LT is probably close to the DH capability of the Reign but also very trail friendly.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
A little late to the party, but just for anyone that’s goung to buy the 27.5 Trance, I’ve been faster on every single timed section of trail that I’ve raced on in the last year on my Trance over my Giant Reign. Here in North Vancouver and Squamish I’m almost always at about the 40th percentile. And I agree with everyone above. But I think what wins the races for me is that (and sorry, these are all enduro races, which are essentially DH races) the Trance destroys the Reign in standing pedalling. The second I got the Trance I was like “ahhhhh, that’s what I was looking for”. When standing, the Reign wallows while the Trance just shoots you forward. I snapped the chain 5 times in one year on the Reign (4 times on a hollow pin chain) when I would accidentally forget to downshift and have to hammer in a lower gear, but nothing extreme at all, and I’ve never broken a chain on the trance. And the Reign for normal riding will constantly smack the pedals if you don’t time it right, which was totally fine but you always had to keep it in mind as you were riding. No problem, but the Trance smacks the pedals like 90% less, so you don’t really have to think about it much. The Reign felt WAY faster on the downs, but of the 15 or so sections of enduro downhill trails that were timed, the Trance was faster.
I’m pretty nimble on my bike and I ride with a few plowers and a few guys in between.
And you can ride the Trance ALL day up down across everything. And as far as abuse goes, it’s been pretty infallible and at my old age, the biggest drops I do nowadays are an honest 6’.
Hope this helps makes your decision more difficult Smile

Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 9:19 Quote
Late to the party on this old thread... but I noticed the Liv Hail geos are between the Reign and Trance. Same travel as the Reign, some angles are between the two, maybe some of that helps it pedal or climb better. The downside is the parts specs are sometimes lower on the comparable Reign, but if there are discounted prices that might not sting as much. Branding doesn’t bother me, I’ve tried all three on short rides and they’re all good, I like the Maestro so I’m mainly exploring the geo and component specs and now trying to decide between the three bikes. It’s 2019 but I’m actually considering the 2017s still for the fox fork, x2 shock, and shimano bits on the advanced 1s. Better odds to get a discount too.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012833
Mobile Version of Website