Is my son too young to build him a ramp?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Is my son too young to build him a ramp?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 7, 2017 at 20:27 Quote
My son asked me the other day "dad, will you build me a wood thing I can ride my bike off of?" I am super excited to take on that project (may make one for myself while I'm at it). The only problem is that he's barely 4. Or is that a problem? He's pretty fearless and absolutely killing it when he rides. I don't want to allow him to push himself too far beyond his limits and end up injured or turned off from bikes. He loves watching bike videos with me on pinkbike and wants to copy what he sees. I need some advice on reasonable steps to guide him to his goal of becoming Brendan Semanuk.
Thanks for taking this subject as seriously as I do.

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 at 20:50 Quote
You should most definitely build him one.

I would start small, and make it so he can just roll it. as he gets better you can adjust the steepness.

I have a 17month old .. and am just waiting for the day that he asks me this. Neighbours down the road have a full on micro skills park for their kids, and their youngest can't be much older than 4. ... and they are Doctors .. so, how could it be harmful, right?

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 12:55 Quote
17 months, got him on a balance bike yet? I couldn't believe it when I saw my 18 month old neighbor kid zoom by me on his. My son had a little specialized hitwalk with a front hand-brake. I knew he was ready for pedals when he mastered stopping.
I was thinking of basically starting with a ramp maybe 4-6" high. His spawn banshee (which I highly recommend) has just 16" wheels. My biggest concern is him being able to get enough speed but obviously not too much to where his inevitable wrecks will cause injuries. I think I'll set it up atop a grassy knoll at the local park to provide a little extra cushion.

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 13:38 Quote
Maybe Build a down ramp off the back. That way he can roll it. I would Make the down ramp steeper than the take off.

Just picked up a balance bike yesterday. Had an early rider sphereVelo, but the kid is way to big for it already.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 9, 2017 at 9:52 Quote
Consider making a small ramp just to begin, but make it possible to stack it higher and higher. Lots of room for progression that way

Posted: Apr 4, 2017 at 21:09 Quote
When I was that age my dad would use scraps of plywood about 2 ft by 2ft and screw it to a 2x4 on edge worked great.

Posted: Apr 15, 2017 at 8:41 Quote
Build him a roller!
Looks like a boob with no nipple.. (sorry it royally SUCKS linking pics here on mobile or I'd show you)

Or a double wedge (2 door stops end to end)

Posted: Apr 15, 2017 at 13:29 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Build him a roller!
Looks like a boob with no nipple.. (sorry it royally SUCKS linking pics here on mobile or I'd show you)

Or a double wedge (2 door stops end to end)

He's already riding the local indoor bike park with all the wood rollers, quarter pipes, bridges and skinnies imaginable. I guess he just wants to learn to catch air while at home, just nervous
I'm going to be that dad that built something for his kid to go break his arm on. We'll be starting small and building up.

I appreciate the input.

Posted: Apr 15, 2017 at 13:40 Quote
Maybe build him a small launch ramp with a platform and wedge lander, he can work up, landing on the platform at first and as he goes bigger start landing on the wedge

Besides broken bones build character, strength and respect.. lol

Posted: May 9, 2017 at 12:44 Quote
My kid was racing bmx and turned intermediate at 4. Jumping clear over his skate box ramp on a 16".
photo

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010318
Mobile Version of Website