Transition Patrol 1 Frame break Issue ?

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Patrol 1 Frame break Issue ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 8:59 Quote

I've had my beloved Transition Patrol 1 for some time now, and I love it. But it has now broken on me TWICE, in the EXACT same spot on both occasions. Yes, I spend a fair amount of time on the rear wheel, manualing, wheeling etc, but really nothing that this bike should not be able to handle, no hard hits on jumps, very standard trail riding and cycling.

I have a fair amount of engineering experience (developing and building UAVs) and it looks like the rear lower pivot point, which sits fairly forward, creates a 'bending moment' when the rear brake is applied, and I'm guess thing, under certain conditions is enough to weaken this exact spot over time, until is simply goes. Both times it was barely noticeble when it broke, I only felt is when the wheel went skew when sitting on the bike, there was no loud or sudden 'SNAP!' at all, so a weakness over time seems to be possible.

Anyone else have or seen this issue ?

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 9:01 Quote
thats no good
warranty covered it i assume? transition are pretty good with that sort of thing

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 9:22 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
thats no good
warranty covered it i assume? transition are pretty good with that sort of thing

Yes, they did the first time (thanks!) but with a black sub frame, they did not have new orange, only a well used orange, which I bought from them. This happened yesterday so still waiting to hear from them. I love my Transition and rave about it to everyone Smile

A little mess around video from a while back.

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 10:46 Quote
HI Duran, bummer to see that it broke again, we actually just got one out in the mail for you today! I sent you a message about some options going forward.

Cheers,
TBC

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 11:04 Quote
Awesome, thanks TBC! Very much appreciate the feedback and service I've gotten, love my Transition to bit (literally i guess) This post is in no way intended to be negative, just though I'd share and see who else, if any, have had this happen.

Talk soon, thanks again!

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 6:21 Quote
Duran, your pictures don't come through for me - Where did you break it and I am assuming it is alloy, not carbon? My alloy Patrol broke yesterday before a big planned ride....super bummed!

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 15:35 Quote
my transition patrol has just done the same thing. Pretty disappointed, as like you i love it!! Im hoping they can sort something on warranty as I'm off on holiday with it in a few weeks!!

Posted: Jul 25, 2017 at 7:33 Quote
matthewbaggs wrote:
my transition patrol has just done the same thing. Pretty disappointed, as like you i love it!! Im hoping they can sort something on warranty as I'm off on holiday with it in a few weeks!!

Alloy or carbon frame? Question applies to all who have this issue

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017539
Mobile Version of Website