Tire inserts: Flat Defender vs Cush Core vs Procore

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tire inserts: Flat Defender vs Cush Core vs Procore
Previous Page |
Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 15:25 Quote
Interested in discussing the pros and cons of the growing number of flat pro/rim pro products out there. Anyone with experiences with any of these please weigh in.
I am particularly interested in the competing foam insert solutions http://flattiredefender.com/p/products or http://www.cushcore.com/ as they seem like good options that are approaching affordable (it seems like lots of $$ for some foam). It would be going into a 27.5 trail bike application with 2.35 to 2.5 tires.

Other solutions I have overlooked?

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 6:50 Quote
I'm interested in these as well. Would love to hear some input.

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 22:49 Quote
They both have the same pros, but the cons of the Cush Core are:
1) More expensive
2) Harder to install/remove
3) Limited lifespan (must be replaced every 2 tires)

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 12:10 Quote
The marketing of the cushcore seemed more for suspension and the ftd seemed to be more pointed at rim damage+suspension. But, i dont think they are super different.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 22:37 Quote
I'm very interested in getting one of these products but for the price I'd have to see some solid testimonials

Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 19:30 Quote
Install difficulty is subjective.
No service life of CushCore yet.

From the website.

JARED GAVES - PRO ENDURO RACER (TEAM SPECIALIZED)

"I have had 4 big days here in Rotorua on Cushcore and it has been flawless. I've been loving it. It has definitely allowed me to run lower pressures while still being just as aggressive in corners and berms without worrying about rolling the tire and burping air. Rotorua is an awesome testing ground for that...I'm definitely going to race with it here and in Tasmania."

Posted: Apr 17, 2017 at 19:26 Quote
Thustlewhumber wrote:
They both have the same pros, but the cons of the Cush Core are:
1) More expensive
2) Harder to install/remove
3) Limited lifespan (must be replaced every 2 tires)

So have you tried both products yourself?

Posted: Apr 21, 2017 at 23:06 Quote
I just started using the ftd with 2.5 minion dhf exo front n 2.3 dd agressor rear last wk. You definitely notice the extra weight initially but after 3 rides i dont notice it anymore. I really like the feel of it now especially the dampening qualities in rocky sections still playing with pressures but ive gone from 28 to 25 psi rear n 23 to 20psi front on my digital gauge, which i suspect reads a little lower than the true pressure as all my guages give different readings...
I hadnt heard or cush core but i like the shape of the design better as ftd is oval but its a little hard to tell if its sitting properly or twisted. On the other hand If u hav to replace it after going through two tires would b expensive system to run

Posted: May 17, 2017 at 14:06 Quote
lightningskull wrote:
Interested in discussing the pros and cons of the growing number of flat pro/rim pro products out there. Anyone with experiences with any of these please weigh in.
I am particularly interested in the competing foam insert solutions http://flattiredefender.com/p/products or http://www.cushcore.com/ as they seem like good options that are approaching affordable (it seems like lots of $$ for some foam). It would be going into a 27.5 trail bike application with 2.35 to 2.5 tires.

Other solutions I have overlooked?

I have been running the Schwalbe procore system for over a year in the front and got it setup in the rear this year. Yeah it is expensive but the ride quality is on another level! I was running Schwalbe magic mary tires with tubes in super gravity casing and switched to single ply casing with the procore. Lost about 200g per wheel.
Even though I now have a trailstar compound on the front compared to the previous stickier vertstar compound on the supergravity tires I find I have way more traction with the procore system! I was running 18psi with the super gravity tires and now run 14-15psi with the procore system (I weigh 60kg with kit). Off camber roots are no longer a problem. Heck now I just point and shoot at whatever line I want without worrying whether or not the tire is going to slip or grip! As for the back well traction is unbelievable! Getting up technical stuff is way easier! Hopefully it should also prevent my back wheel from getting flat spots!

I am curious to try cushcore or flat tire defender as they seem to be cheaper and lighter than the Banger system. Plus it seems less messy than setting up the procore system. Maybe when I get a set of bigger wheels I'll test them out.
Look forward to hearing about other people's experiences!

Posted: Jun 10, 2017 at 20:49 Quote
Well setup the cush core system last night bit of a chore but got it eventually trick is to push the bead to the center of wheel to get it on. Raced at the Squamish Enduro today and got down the first stage and got a flat. Running an Enve AM rear at 24 psi. Cracked rim, could of been just errant rock, but needless to say not a good first impression. I usually ride with 24 psi. I'm 180lbs. Will try again with a arc 30 rim hopefully with better results.

Posted: Jun 11, 2017 at 21:06 Quote
knarf1 wrote:
Well setup the cush core system last night bit of a chore but got it eventually trick is to push the bead to the center of wheel to get it on. Raced at the Squamish Enduro today and got down the first stage and got a flat. Running an Enve AM rear at 24 psi. Cracked rim, could of been just errant rock, but needless to say not a good first impression. I usually ride with 24 psi. I'm 180lbs. Will try again with a arc 30 rim hopefully with better results.

That sucks!!

I've been running Procore over a year now and have generally been happy with it. I have still managed to have two pinch flats in the rear in that time (in one instance the regular outer tire pinch flatted but I was able to limp home (mainly on the road) on the inner high pressure casing and in the other case I actually managed to somehow pinch flat or snake bite the inner high pressure tube only and did not even notice until I got home because the air was contained in the regular outer tire which somehow did not get a hole in it). I have since taken to running the maximum pressure (85 psi) in the rear procore tube which does not do much for tire feel or progression but I have not pinch flatted again (I was running 70 to 75 psi previously). I am definitely on the heavy end of the spectrum (at least 225 lbs riding weight) and love to just plow through stuff and have not dented or cracked a rim since going with Procore (I went though a couple rear rims the previous year).

I am curious how these closed cell foam options would work for heavy riders such as myself. Since the density of the foam is tuned for the "average" rider, I wonder if these tire inserts would provide enough support and protection for us "gravitationally enhanced" riders.

Posted: Jun 12, 2017 at 9:11 Quote
Well after forensic work I found the valve stem was cracked which wold account for losing tire pressure on my race run. Not sure where or when this happened but I could not keep pressure in tire overnight.
Sent email to cushcore asking for a replacement . I want this to work so I'm going to give it another go. I ride hard and flats suck

Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 18:35 Quote
Any idea of how to remove a cushcore once it is in place except tearing all the tire appart?!

I do confrim it is hard to put in place.... but really do not know how to get it out.

Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 22:49 Quote
AleG wrote:
Any idea of how to remove a cushcore once it is in place except tearing all the tire appart?!

I do confrim it is hard to put in place.... but really do not know how to get it out.

In this article they explain how to remove it more easily:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-Tire-Insert-Systems,1841

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005275
Mobile Version of Website