Tire inserts: Flat Defender vs Cush Core vs Procore

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tire inserts: Flat Defender vs Cush Core vs Procore
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 19:55 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:

How? I can't imagine destroying it in one ride unless you rode out on a flat on a really rough descent.

I smashed my alloy rim through cc pro and dh casing tires inflated pretty hard at a bike park, it’s definitely possible at trail center with xc inserts and single ply tires at low pressures

Yeah but that kind of hit is going to destroy anything. He complained specifically about destroying the insert not anything else.

Yes, but taking a bunch of smaller impacts with single ply tires would annihilate the xc cc’s. After that impact the rim is still holding air 9 months later. And I have no idea what state my cc pros are in after all the abuse I’ve but them through while I’ve had them.

Posted: Apr 13, 2020 at 20:22 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:

I smashed my alloy rim through cc pro and dh casing tires inflated pretty hard at a bike park, it’s definitely possible at trail center with xc inserts and single ply tires at low pressures

Yeah but that kind of hit is going to destroy anything. He complained specifically about destroying the insert not anything else.

Yes, but taking a bunch of smaller impacts with single ply tires would annihilate the xc cc’s.

Yeah, if you drop the pressure too much. A guy on MTBR posted pics of his insert after a few months running 15 psi (he weighed close to 200 lbs) and it had a bunch of cuts in it If you're constantly cutting into that insert your pressures are too low. There's not a "few rides" durability issue if you reduce your pressure a reasonable amount. I was able to drop 3 psi and still reduce the hard rim strikes. That may not be worth it for some riders but I don't think there's a durability issue unless you're misusing the insert.

Posted: Apr 14, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:

Yes, but taking a bunch of smaller impacts with single ply tires would annihilate the xc cc’s.

Yeah, if you drop the pressure too much. A guy on MTBR posted pics of his insert after a few months running 15 psi (he weighed close to 200 lbs) and it had a bunch of cuts in it If you're constantly cutting into that insert your pressures are too low. There's not a "few rides" durability issue if you reduce your pressure a reasonable amount. I was able to drop 3 psi and still reduce the hard rim strikes. That may not be worth it for some riders but I don't think there's a durability issue unless you're misusing the insert.

I really only have Cush core to save my wheels. I haven’t lowered my tire pressures at all after getting them, even with dh tires at 25 and 27psi, so I bet they’re still in decent shape

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 21:32 Quote
Does anyone have any opinion on how cushcore lowers the overall tire volume, wouldn't it technically increase the progressivity of the tire volume and make it more likely to blow tires off the rim and similar as the spike in psi will be higher? I've just installed cushcore, went out on my 2nd ride with it and cased a jump and blew my brand new tire and brand new cushcore off the rim, first time ever. remounted and they seem to be fine, except my tire has a nasty wobble now. 35 psi, exo+, 29mm rim. But to be honest, it was a pretty bad case.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 2:32 Quote
iridedj wrote:
Does anyone have any opinion on how cushcore lowers the overall tire volume, wouldn't it technically increase the progressivity of the tire volume and make it more likely to blow tires off the rim and similar as the spike in psi will be higher? I've just installed cushcore, went out on my 2nd ride with it and cased a jump and blew my brand new tire and brand new cushcore off the rim, first time ever. remounted and they seem to be fine, except my tire has a nasty wobble now. 35 psi, exo+, 29mm rim. But to be honest, it was a pretty bad case.

It does increase the progressivity of the pressure inside the tire due to there being less volume. The insert is so tight around the rim that a tire is much less likely to burb than without. 35psi!!! Wow that is a lot of pressure! I run mine at 17psi max though I do weigh 60kgs.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 4:15 Quote
Yeah it doesn't make the air chamber of the tire more progressive because when you take an impact with a tire the overall air volume doesn't change hardly at all. It's not like compressing a cylinder.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
SintraFreeride wrote:
iridedj wrote:

It does increase the progressivity of the pressure inside the tire due to there being less volume. The insert is so tight around the rim that a tire is much less likely to burb than without. 35psi!!! Wow that is a lot of pressure! I run mine at 17psi max though I do weigh 60kgs.
yea I'm coming off an exo tire and I'm 120ish kg, I actually am a good rider, and the main thing I hate is tire sqirm when I'm trying to corner fast or whip/pump off jumps. I'm actully not noticing much sidewall support but definitely lots of damping, which I like.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
Sounds like lower pressures and heavier casings (w/ cushcore installed) would solve alot of your problems.

At 35 psi with so much increased surface area in the tire you are just begging to blow tires off rims. That's simply too much pressure w/ cushcore.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 9:46 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Sounds like lower pressures and heavier casings (w/ cushcore installed) would solve alot of your problems.

At 35 psi with so much increased surface area in the tire you are just begging to blow tires off rims. That's simply too much pressure w/ cushcore.
yea that's what I was curious about. Trying to source a dh casing tire but covid is a killer.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 9:54 Quote
What about DD? DH casing w/ cushcore is IMO overkill. That being said I am 70 kg soaking wet, so clearly my results may be different.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
What about DD? DH casing w/ cushcore is IMO overkill. That being said I am 70 kg soaking wet, so clearly my results may be different.
I have a dd front tire, I just didn't want max grip on the rear. The weight on dh vs dd is only 100g anyways. I probably shouldn't have gotten this tire honestly. I just thought since I was fine with exo for a full season but the exo+ seems exactly the same, or even worse. Dhr vs dissector I guess, smaller tire.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 1:07 Quote
Hey Guys,
I recently found a good offer for cushcores but it only says "Cushcore 29" in the Website instead of "Cushcore Pro 29".
I don´t think theses are the XC, gravel, or Plus versions since the look like the Pro on the picture. Is it possible that these are 1. gerneration Cushcores? When Cushcore came out there weren´t any different versions like XC, gravel and so on.
If so, is there any difference between the "1. gen Cushcore" and the current "Pro Cushcore"?

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 22:39 Quote
Pullux wrote:
Hey Guys,
I recently found a good offer for cushcores but it only says "Cushcore 29" in the Website instead of "Cushcore Pro 29".
I don´t think theses are the XC, gravel, or Plus versions since the look like the Pro on the picture. Is it possible that these are 1. gerneration Cushcores? When Cushcore came out there weren´t any different versions like XC, gravel and so on.
If so, is there any difference between the "1. gen Cushcore" and the current "Pro Cushcore"?

They are probably Cushcore Pro which is the original. I would suggest asking the website for more info.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006289
Mobile Version of Website