Tire inserts: Flat Defender vs Cush Core vs Procore

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tire inserts: Flat Defender vs Cush Core vs Procore
Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 2:48 Quote
700Pirate wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:
Alright team: new contender. Discuss.

https://www.rimpactmtb.com/

Excellent. Great damped ride feeling on the rough. Running 20 rear 18 front for all round. Can Maybe go to procore numbers as the insert takes up a lot of volume.

4 months DH uplift thrown in as well as and wheels are still true. Highly recommended. Price is good. Valves are nice too.

Easy fit with 2.5s and 30mm rims.

I'm running these in the rear tyres on 3 bikes now (2 FS and 1 HT) and I'm very impressed. I can't say I notice the extra weight and I'm loving the added traction. As Pirate said, the valves are great quality. I swapped tyres recently and as far as I could tell, the inserts hadn't soaked up any sealant. Not sure how long they'll last, but for the money I would definitely recommend.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 4:31 Quote
I have noticed that the Procore inner tube stretches in use. The stretched tube is difficult to get seated inside the blue tyre during wheel swap. I replaced a broken 29er Procore inner tube to the 27.5 inner tube and it fits fine with 29er rim. Problem solved.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 11:38 Quote
I have Pro-Core and trust what they do, because the inner tyre is is at 60+ psi it holds the bead solid also because the inner tyre takes up volume it allows to run lower pressure in the main tyre which in turn allows the tyre to mold over sharp obstacles & roots which then firms up kinda like progressive suspension works. I've had no issues yet but in defence of durability I have limited riding time so I guess lower miles to what others put in. I would like to mention that it is a system and not just a piece of foam and £80 for a piece of foam is obscene, I think Pro-Core is lighter too but not sure.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
Spooney23 wrote:
I have Pro-Core and trust what they do, because the inner tyre is is at 60+ psi it holds the bead solid also because the inner tyre takes up volume it allows to run lower pressure in the main tyre which in turn allows the tyre to mold over sharp obstacles & roots which then firms up kinda like progressive suspension works. I've had no issues yet but in defence of durability I have limited riding time so I guess lower miles to what others put in. I would like to mention that it is a system and not just a piece of foam and £80 for a piece of foam is obscene, I think Pro-Core is lighter too but not sure.

So $100 for a tiny inner tube (which is a 'system' somehow, unlike cushcore...somehow..) is reasonable, but $75 for a 'piece of foam' is obscene.. Alrighty then.. They both hold the bead solid against the rim, they both take up volume in the tire and allow you to run lower volume and they both come with custom valve stem systems to allow the tire to be inflated with them installed. They difference in weight is negligible (230 grams for pro-core, 260 grams for cushcore). The choice between the two is really a matter of opinion as both are proven systems.
I have ran cushcore for 2 years and since have not suffered a flat tire, a burped tire or a dented rim and initially felt a noticable increase in ride dampening. Prior to this with Huck Norris and DH casing tires I was denting wheels and puncturing tires left right and center.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
I guess what I'm saying is the cush core could be far more reasonably price as it is just foam, Pro-Core has an inner tyre, inner tube, sealent Rim tape and specially designed valves. The argument could be that they are way over engineered but as a buyer I believe they work, I'm not saying that the cush core doesn't and I'm glad your happy with your purchase as that's all that really matters. As for the price of cush core the fact still remains.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
Spooney23 wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is the cush core could be far more reasonably price as it is just foam, Pro-Core has an inner tyre, inner tube, sealent Rim tape and specially designed valves. The argument could be that they are way over engineered but as a buyer I believe they work, I'm not saying that the cush core doesn't and I'm glad your happy with your purchase as that's all that really matters. As for the price of cush core the fact still remains.
Calling cushcore "just foam".

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
Spooney23 wrote:

Cushcore is closed-cell, polyolefin foam. A bit of research will tell you that quality examples of basic sheets of this foam at 12×12×3/4" retails for $15. 4 feet by 3 inch thick sheets almost $100. That's basic, flat sheets. Cushcore is a ways from this.
I can get a roll of gorilla tape for $10 (will do dozens of wheels) and 16 oz or stans for $20 (will do 8 tire fills). Still $20 less for two wheels with cushcore and can dismount and re-install numerous times without having to buy anymore product.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 15:05 Quote
You forgot the packaging for Pro-Core £50. But straight up I paid £100 for a pair 29" and they work I'm not doubting cush core and thanks for the pricing info must be good stuff.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
Here in Canada two Cushcores is 149.99 and two Pro-Cores is 200. Different pricing in Britain I suppose.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 22:45 Quote
wrote:
So $100 for a tiny inner tube (which is a 'system' somehow, unlike cushcore...somehow..) is reasonable, but $75 for a 'piece of foam' is obscene.. Alrighty then.. They both hold the bead solid against the rim, they both take up volume in the tire and allow you to run lower volume and they both come with custom valve stem systems to allow the tire to be inflated with them installed. They difference in weight is negligible (230 grams for pro-core, 260 grams for cushcore). The choice between the two is really a matter of opinion as both are proven systems.
I have ran cushcore for 2 years and since have not suffered a flat tire, a burped tire or a dented rim and initially felt a noticable increase in ride dampening. Prior to this with Huck Norris and DH casing tires I was denting wheels and puncturing tires left right and center.

I have had both systems and hands down prefer Procore. Cushcore isn't bad but it has it's flaws compared to Procore.
Cushcore negatives:
-harder to install and remove
-the foam is thickest in the middle of the rim which is where you need it least and as a consequence pinch flatting is still possible as is rim denting.

Both allow you to ride home after flatting and both are the best inserts on the market compared to what is currently out there.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 23:10 Quote
wrote:
SintraFreeride wrote:

I have had both systems and hands down prefer Procore. Cushcore isn't bad but it has it's flaws compared to Procore.
Cushcore negatives:
-the foam is thickest in the middle of the rim which is where you need it least and as a consequence pinch flatting is still possible as is rim denting.

Both allow you to ride home after flatting and both are the best inserts on the market compared to what is currently out there.

I've had CC and Procore.... currently on RimpactMTB inserts and won't be changing. Can't wait to try the dual density pro versions next.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 1:00 Quote
Cushcore is much more than a piece of foam. The owner released a podcast and talks about the engineering that went into it and how it’s different from other products on the market.

http://www.downtimepodcast.com/cushcore/

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 13:55 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Here in Canada two Cushcores is 149.99 and two Pro-Cores is 200. Different pricing in Britain I suppose.

Where you getting 2 cushcores for 149 CAD? I've only seen them for 249

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 14:17 Quote
wrote:
SintraFreeride wrote:

Cushcore negatives:

Wheel no insert with conti Baron, carcass is a beast never failed even at 15psi.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 17:04 Quote
rahrider wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

Where you getting 2 cushcores for 149 CAD? I've only seen them for 249

Sorry *149.99 USD for cushcore and 200 USD for pro-core.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010196
Mobile Version of Website