Powered by Outside

SX Trail or Enduro??

PB Forum :: Specialized
SX Trail or Enduro??
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 20:51 Quote
Has anyone here ever owned an SX trail and what were your thoughts on the bike? I currently ride DH only (2013 Specialized Demo 8 I carbon SWORKS) and I have been wanting to get a trail bike that I can actually pedal uphill with, something like and enduro that can handle all around stuff but still take a nice sized jump. I see that there is an SX trail for sale on here and what are the pedalling capabilities as far as going up hill and so on? Or should I just look into buying a Specialized Enduro? Thoughts anyone?? The SX trail is a 2012/$2000 and the Enduro is a 2013 evo expert/$3000......they are both 26".

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 6:00 Quote
I can't speak for the SX bike, but I do have a 2016 Enduro, although 29er, not 26er, and it climbs really well for something that descends as well as it does. I have an Anthem that I bought before the Enduro and in my opinion the Enduro climbs nearly as well as the Anthem - although I kind of wonder how much that has to do with the tubless set up on the Enduro. The Enduro is a lot more fun though as it does nearly everything very well. I can speak on big gaps and super jumps as I haven't got there yet (haha). Lets just say I've reached the limits of my capabilities, not the bike's

O+
Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 6:48 Quote
Enduro evo and SX trail are both a bitch to climb and are pretty much the same bike (enduro evo succeeded sx trail).
If you want to pedal your bike, stick below 160mm of travel. There are bikes with more that pedal well, but they are $$$$

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 10:18 Quote
cky78 wrote:
I can't speak for the SX bike, but I do have a 2016 Enduro, although 29er, not 26er, and it climbs really well for something that descends as well as it does. I have an Anthem that I bought before the Enduro and in my opinion the Enduro climbs nearly as well as the Anthem - although I kind of wonder how much that has to do with the tubless set up on the Enduro. The Enduro is a lot more fun though as it does nearly everything very well. I can speak on big gaps and super jumps as I haven't got there yet (haha). Lets just say I've reached the limits of my capabilities, not the bike's

I have never seen an SX trail in person but from what I hear it's pretty much the 6" version of the demo 8. Bikes are so damn expensive thses days especially enduro bikes as compared to DH which I ride. I push myself and my bike to the limit on a steady basis and Ive heard nothing but good about the Enduro but my only concern is the 26" wheels. I know its more flickable around turns and so on but I hear that the 27.5 freely moves over obstacles better due to the larger wheel base and not binding up as much as a 26" would. The bike im looking at is absolutely flawless and the price is great.....but I want some more opinions before I make the final decision.

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 10:21 Quote
shoshy wrote:
Enduro evo and SX trail are both a bitch to climb and are pretty much the same bike (enduro evo succeeded sx trail).
If you want to pedal your bike, stick below 160mm of travel. There are bikes with more that pedal well, but they are $$$$

I wouldnt say im looking for something that is going to be climbing mountains that are steep as shit but just normal climbing I guess. If you can picture that. Nothing of a crazy steep grade but just a steady grade so that I can get some sweat flowing on the way up and then rip it back down. Obviously not as fast as my Demo but close to it.

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 16:37 Quote
endure 27.5 is a great descending bike that climbs relatively well,just as advertised,I also own a couple DH bikes so I can make that comment without guessing,never rode sx trail

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 20:33 Quote
chickendog wrote:
endure 27.5 is a great descending bike that climbs relatively well,just as advertised,I also own a couple DH bikes so I can make that comment without guessing,never rode sx trail

Would you say there is a big difference between 27.5 and 26? I know that question is synonymous but I would like your opinion since you do ride DH like me. The Enduro I am looking to purchase is 26" and Im not sure if it is capable of taking 27.5. My DH can take both 26 and 27.5 but i prefer the 26 because I feel i can throw it around much easier. But I would have to say that 27.5 for DH does roll over obstacles quite easier than 26. As for Enduro I wouldnt know.....any help would be much appreciated. The bike im looking at is a 2013 enduro expert evo w/ 180mm travel front and rear. Look forward to hearing back from you

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 6:32 Quote
I wouldn't let the 26 wheel size stop me from getting something if everything else was to my liking

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 16:48 Quote
chickendog wrote:
I wouldn't let the 26 wheel size stop me from getting something if everything else was to my liking

Thats what i was thinking. The bike is absolutely gorgeous and everything looks great. Here is the bike.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1884494/

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 18:56 Quote
This is your decision,dont really want to push u into something u don't want,consider this.A 2017 endure comp brand new from specialized with warranty is 3000 dollars

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 3:55 Quote
i have ridden a 2011 sx trail for many years and it is NOT a climber . It is a light dh bike . i agree with chickendog , you should buy a new 2017 enduro .

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 7:36 Quote
Don't buy 26" right now. That's just nuts. Go with a stock 275-wheeled new enduro. The 275 stuff rides SOOOOOO much better than 26. The older Enduros are great but the new stuff is just better. This 2017 re-design makes all the bikes amazing. You'll probably stop riding your Demo 1/2 the time and prefer the Enduro, even in many dh settings.

170 front/rear, Monarch Plus, Yari, 1x11 10-42, wide rims, 275x2.6" tires, tubeless out of the box, short stem, wide bar, BSA BB, easy-to-service dropper, slack HTA. It's hard to beat that bike.

mk

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 15:39 Quote
TrailWerksCyclery wrote:
Don't buy 26" right now. That's just nuts. Go with a stock 275-wheeled new enduro. The 275 stuff rides SOOOOOO much better than 26. The older Enduros are great but the new stuff is just better. This 2017 re-design makes all the bikes amazing. You'll probably stop riding your Demo 1/2 the time and prefer the Enduro, even in many dh settings.

170 front/rear, Monarch Plus, Yari, 1x11 10-42, wide rims, 275x2.6" tires, tubeless out of the box, short stem, wide bar, BSA BB, easy-to-service dropper, slack HTA. It's hard to beat that bike.

mk

Thanks for the advice and all the info man. Im actually going to demo a 2016 Stump jumper carbon in 27.5 from a local shop and im really looking forward to it. I dont think i need the 180mm travel of a enduro when I already have a full suspension demo 8 carbon. Im really curious to see how the 27.5 plus tires function as well.

Posted: Apr 2, 2017 at 16:08 Quote
I ride an 08 SX trail and I can confirm, it does not like going uphill. Not saying it can't do them, it just takes a few hard days to get your legs used to the 37lbs of bike. I use mine for mostly XC AM stuff for now and keep up with my friends on Enduro and XC bikes all day. The SX is an absolute beast on the downhills though. I also just prefer bikes with more travel.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012074
Mobile Version of Website