Recommendations for buying a new bike in Canada

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Recommendations for buying a new bike in Canada
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 20:38 Quote
Hi pinkbike,

I've spent several thousand dollars buying a couple of used bikes from private parties in Canada two years ago. The experience (via pinkbike, of course!) was great.

Now I am looking at buying a new bike from a bike shop in Canada who is an authorized dealer of the bike I'm interested in. Due to the exchange rate and a good price at the shop, I am getting a great deal. I called around at local shops within a two hour drive of me here in the US, and no one can come even remotely close to the deal I am getting.

My main question is about how to bring the bike back to the US and avoid the 11% customs duty. I am going to drive across the border to pick up the bike.

If I am completely on the straight a narrow, I will declare the bike, and pay $350 for the duty.

The other option I have is to bring my riding gear, find some mud or gunk to ride the bike through, and say that I was up in Quebec riding with an old college buddy. I understand that isn't honest, but $350 is a good chunk of change. If do this, what are the chances that they just let me through. I have global entry, but would be driving my personal car and would go through a busy border crossing. I don't want to bother sticking around for 48 hours because the exemption is only $800, and the bike is obviously much more than that.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, recommendations, and most of all, any experiences you can share.

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 11:11 Quote
When the CDN $ was at par to the US $, I know lots of people that drove 2-3 hrs to the states and picked up bikes, rode them in the parking lot/trail/street and drove them back across the border and did not claim the bike as new

Some things to consider:

Depending on the bike brand and where the bike is made, you may not need to pay duty due to NAFTA

Does the price your paying in Canada also include Gas/Food/Lodging?

Does warranty cross borders? No idea on bikes, but on electronics they dont

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 20:01 Quote
Spending your money up here isn't making America great again. Just sayin

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 4:45 Quote
ehfour wrote:
When the CDN $ was at par to the US $, I know lots of people that drove 2-3 hrs to the states and picked up bikes, rode them in the parking lot/trail/street and drove them back across the border and did not claim the bike as new

Some things to consider:

Depending on the bike brand and where the bike is made, you may not need to pay duty due to NAFTA

Does the price your paying in Canada also include Gas/Food/Lodging?

Does warranty cross borders? No idea on bikes, but on electronics they dont

Good suggestions. It's a carbon bike, so since they are (nearly all) made in the Far East, duty applies due to NAFTA.

There is such a huge savings that I could stay in a $400 / night hotel for two nights and still come out WAY ahead. I'm saving thousands off retail.

I looked into the warranty, and it does cross borders. The company has the same warranty worldwide.

I'm just mentioning this because it might be helpful for those of us in a similar situation.

BTW, I figured out a legal way that will cost me a lot less - I am going to have the bike shipped to my friend in Montreal who is Canadian, and then she is going to drive it across the border to me.

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 4:45 Quote
onemind123 wrote:
Spending your money up here isn't making America great again. Just sayin

This is not a political thread, but I don't think that POTUS 45 the Orange is either!

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 12:27 Quote
newenglandrocks wrote:
BTW, I figured out a legal way that will cost me a lot less - I am going to have the bike shipped to my friend in Montreal who is Canadian, and then she is going to drive it across the border to me.

Amazing! Glad you got it sorted!

Now the question: Is the girl worth the drive Wink

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 13:17 Quote
ehfour wrote:
newenglandrocks wrote:

Amazing! Glad you got it sorted!

Now the question: Is the girl worth the drive Wink

She is illegally smuggling a bike into murica - she must be worth it lol

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 21:02 Quote
I ride in washington a fair amount and have been asked for my receipt traveling both directions. This is riding a newish looking well used bike.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009766
Mobile Version of Website