How and where to introduce my girlfriend to MTB in Banff and Jasper?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
How and where to introduce my girlfriend to MTB in Banff and Jasper?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 19:46 Quote
Hello,

I'm going to be in Banff and in Jasper this june. I want to introduce my girlfriend to MTB and thought the this might be a great place to do so. But I don't know how to go about it.

I'd like to ride once in Banff and once in Jasper. I think 2-4 hour rides would be perfect. I'll rent bikes. I'm ok taking shuttles if necessary. I have a small SUV without a rack but I can probably fit the bikes in there.

I have a few questions:

- Is it possible to take a shuttle/chairlift up a mountain and ride down on very easy trails? I feel like this would be ideal. I'd get to have some fun and she'd get to ride without the effort of climbing. Is this possible? Is this a good idea? Where?

Banff/Canmore and the area

- I read about the Tunnel bench loop, which seem fun but a little short. Are there options to extend the ride?

- Are there other options you would recommend?

- Where can I rent good full suspension bikes. I'm in the market for a new Enduro bike myself and I'll use this as an opportunity to try bikes. I'd might wanna try a 29er and a 650b+.

Jasper area

- Pretty much the same questions
- Where to rent
- Where to ride

- I read about Lower Fryatt. Does that make sense? Is is too hard for a beginner.

Thanks a lot for your help

Sly

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 13:39 Quote
Can't help you on Banff/Jasper specifics, but if you are introducing your GF, pick a very short trail, as in under 5km with no tech stuff. Mellow single track basically. 2-4 hours is way too much for a first time ride.

For chair lift access, closest options are Golden (Kicking Horse) and Fernie.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 21:17 Quote
I'll comment on Jasper:

There are a number of bike shops in town that rent bikes and would be able to point you in the right direction (free wheel, Vicious, source for sports). Parks Canada has a mountain bike map that you can download and check out. There are a bunch of rides close to town around the pyramid lake area. Valley of the 5 lakes is about a 10 minute drive out of town and has a number of different loops. Trailforks has a few more singletrack trails (wildland trails) that aren't on the official map.

Have a look around at the parks map and Trailforks and when you get to town one of the shops should be able to asses your situation and get you on the right trails.

Good luck!

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 8:43 Quote
Instead of Banff try the Canmore Nordic center. Trailsports (by the lodge) or Rebound (down in town) would both rent suitable bikes and may also have some more high end bikes available.

Lots of loop options starting at easy green (I've taken an 8 year old on the green) and progressing up to reasonably tech. The nice thing is if it all becomes too much it's easy to bail back to the lodge on the winter ski trails which are mainly forest roads in the summer.

There is the odd short steeper tech section you could use for testing bigger bikes (T2, Black Coal chutes, Laundry chutes and Devonian drop) or with a pedal Reclaimer or Riders of Rohan are both steeper but they can be a tad loose.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 9:26 Quote
I agree keep beginner rides under two hours, a sore butt foam an unfamiliar saddle can ruin a ride!

Jasper I have not ridden in, and Banff has been over a decade, but Spray Loop is a great beginner ride. Start at the Banff Springs Hotel, ride up Spray river on the Sulpher Mtn side, all double track, with amazing views. there is a bridge at about 6km and (cross there or you ride all the way to Canmore), and places to stop for lunch everywhere. Go back on slightly narrower double track on the opposite side of the river and end at the Banff Springs Golf Course.

Another good ride with more single track is Lake Minnewanka, just go out for about 45 mins from the parking lots, and then turn around, the entire ride is too long, an out an back over 40 kms! Some of the best views in the park there!

A bit of DH can be found on Mt Norquay with a shuttle able run down Lower Stoney Squaw, about a medium/blue level run, a good intro to DH, nothing too steep or hard you ride from the far back right of the parking lot for the ski hill.

Everything else I know is illegal and way too hard for a beginner!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010236
Mobile Version of Website