Broken Commencal Meta V4 Rear Axle

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Broken Commencal Meta V4 Rear Axle
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 7:40 Quote
Any help/advice appreciated.

I have had a Commencal Meta V4 for 4 months and been through two rear axles.

This worries me as I haven't even had the chance to ride it on rough tracks yet.

I have seen a few people suggesting they have had the same problem, but no solutions mentioned.

Is anyone else suffering the same/found a solution?

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 9:21 Quote
Are you implying its a problem with the bike or the supplied rockshox axle?

My V4 with the same axle has survived quite a few park days last summer.

If you don't trust the Rockshox axle look into buying a different one.

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 13:49 Quote
Im implying its a problem with the bike, as I've read about others having similar problems. Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone else is still having this problem. What year is your model is yours?

inverted180 wrote:

Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 16:54 Quote
mattk12345 wrote:
Im implying its a problem with the bike, as I've read about others having similar problems. Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone else is still having this problem. What year is your model is yours?

inverted180 wrote:

Mine is 2016. I've read the V4 thread and there was probably 3 or so people who I have read had this happen.

It seems very strange that you would have this happen twice. You have the lever out until you tighten the axle and then put the lever down, correct?

If your really worried about another ROCKSHOX maxle breaking than buy an different brand axle. Some guys in the thread put up a link to one.

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 2:30 Quote
Check with Commencal first, you may need to take some measurements like if something's out of alignment maybe ? That could cause some stress on the axle and eventually make it break.

I replaced mine with one from Novyparts, about the same price as a new maxle, but I have yet to see one break.

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 5:17 Quote
Check your linkage isn't snapped it's only got a small amount of weld holding it together. Flexiest rear end of any bike I've ever had. Check everything done up right as any play will accentuate the flex and it's only really the rear axle and linkage holding the back end together.

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 5:24 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Check with Commencal first, you may need to take some measurements like if something's out of alignment maybe ? That could cause some stress on the axle and eventually make it break.

I replaced mine with one from Novyparts, about the same price as a new maxle, but I have yet to see one break.

Thanks dude- I have looked at the Novyparts website, unfortunately the right size is out of stock till May- but I will bare this in mind.

Did you take measurements for yours when your first axle broke?

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 5:25 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
Check your linkage isn't snapped it's only got a small amount of weld holding it together. Flexiest rear end of any bike I've ever had. Check everything done up right as any play will accentuate the flex and it's only really the rear axle and linkage holding the back end together.

Thanks for the advice- I will re-look at the linkage. I snapped the linkage one my mini dh about 5 years ago.

I also wondered whether running my shock with more pressure would help it at all

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 5:46 Quote
I didn't break mine, just swapped it right away as I'm not a big fan of QR rear axles Smile

And now on the 4.2 it's back to a non-QR rear axle, and it looks sturdier than the maxle on the V4.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 3:16 Quote
Hi guys !
I've the same issue on my Meta V4 2016 Origin. My axle has been broken this weekend after a little drop (30cm) ! It throw me on a tree and i get hurt... I bought the bike on December and it was only my 10th ride with it, only XC, no AM or DH !

I think we should ask a bike replacement to Commencal, It's a shame to sell an AM bike with an issue like that. It's very dangerous.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 4:19 Quote
Linow31 wrote:
Hi guys !
I've the same issue on my Meta V4 2016 Origin. My axle has been broken this weekend after a little drop (30cm) ! It throw me on a tree and i get hurt... I bought the bike on December and it was only my 10th ride with it, only XC, no AM or DH !

I think we should ask a bike replacement to Commencal, It's a shame to sell à AM bike with an issue like that. It's very dangerous.

Yeah dude, I really don't know what to do about it. So gutted. I need to get in touch with Commencal and see what they say. Have you reached out to Commencal?

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 5:47 Quote
I wrote an email to my shop to explain my problem, thus they called Commencal and they are going to send me a new axle. But appenrently with your story it doesn't solve the issue. This worries me too because I've ridden only chill XC track, how the axle could react with a beast enduro track ?!

Maybe you should send me a PM with the serial ID to compare with mine.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 5:49 Quote
Was the axle properly tightened ? not too tightened either ? Grease on the threads/axle ?

Check if without axle the rear end is really 142mm wide, and see if without the shock you can feel any tough spot in the bearings. That's where I would start, and if something feels odd, pass that to Commencal.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 5:59 Quote
Salut Ploutre,
Yes it was tightened perfectly, I checked it every time on my pre ride check.

I will check the wide tonight, thanks.

I've found an other guy with the same issue, and check comments (!) : http://www.mtb-downhill.net/broken-rear-axle-of-commencal-meta-v4/

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/440294/

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 6:22 Quote
Yea there has been a few broken axles so far, but I don't know the reason, but I think I remember someone receiving a completely different axle, heavier and sturdier compared to the one that broke.

Maybe they shipped a batch of bikes with the wrong axles ? or a bad batch of the original axles, and are now issueing stronger/heavier ones now to prevent any more failures ?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009379
Mobile Version of Website