Profile Elite Hubs

Previous Page |
Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 7:31 Quote
Has anyone had recent experience with Profile's Elite hubs? Specifically, noise and durability? The quality, options, and 204 POE have me seriously considering them. And, admittedly, I'm simply a big fan of the brand.

I know they're loud (which I generally am a fan of), but has anyone regretted getting them for being "too loud"?

Also, given the fineness of the machined parts in the hub, has anyone experienced any durability issues on a trail bike (i.e. riding in all elements)?

Thanks!

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 9:58 Quote
really good hubs. I used to run them and had no issues with them what so ever. Very easy to service your self too. I am now running i9's, and i can tell you that the Profiles definatley have a louder buzz. One thing to note, was that I tried calling and emailing Profile(who are local to me), about a self service question I had, and could not get ahold of them at all. Nor did they return my email. That did not take away from how good their hubs are though. However, IMO, I would save some money and try an i9, Hadley, or Hope , over the Profile. I cant say I noticed the extra POE over the i9's or others. So I dont feel the more expensive Profiles are worth it for me anymore.

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 11:45 Quote
jason475 wrote:
really good hubs. I used to run them and had no issues with them what so ever. Very easy to service your self too. I am now running i9's, and i can tell you that the Profiles definatley have a louder buzz. One thing to note, was that I tried calling and emailing Profile(who are local to me), about a self service question I had, and could not get ahold of them at all. Nor did they return my email. That did not take away from how good their hubs are though. However, IMO, I would save some money and try an i9, Hadley, or Hope , over the Profile. I cant say I noticed the extra POE over the i9's or others. So I dont feel the more expensive Profiles are worth it for me anymore.
Profile is another one of those companies that uses FB exclusively for their CS and Q&A.

Posted: Mar 14, 2017 at 12:14 Quote
less than a week ago i was getting pretty quick responses from them via e-mail (admittedly sales questions for the zcoaster). I am stoked to try their stuff soon though.

For the same price pretty much you can go onyx. just got a set and they are INSANE

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 9:02 Quote
jason475 - Thanks for the insight. Onyx, Hope, or I9 are the other contenders. I just haven't read much on the Profiles for MTB use. Good to know on the maintenance aspect.

adrennan - That's all I hear and read on Onyx hubs. Worth the few extra grams, it seems. Btw, these hubs are going on my Canfield Nimble 9. Sweet looking Balance you've got there! I think a Push'd Balance is going to end up next to the N9 to replace my RM Altitude...

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 9:05 Quote
i dont count grams in case you cant tell looking at the build. onyx, saint cranks and brakes, coil shock. weight doesnt bug me too much if it means gains in perfomance. and goddamn does the bike perform haha

Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 9:16 Quote
adrennan wrote:
i dont count grams in case you cant tell looking at the build. onyx, saint cranks and brakes, coil shock. weight doesnt bug me too much if it means gains in perfomance. and goddamn does the bike perform haha

Yup, performance trumps all else. And I think hubs are one of the places to drop some coin for said performance.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 13:28 Quote
I'm with you on not worrying about a few grams. Hubs are really one of things that you want built stout. I will add that the Onyx hubs are I think a more simple design with fewer moving parts. And they are silent and suposedly free spin forever. I dont think you could go wrong with any of the mentioned hubs. Again, the Profiles are pricy, but they are very sweet hubs. And with those on your bike....they will know you are coming.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 13:34 Quote
Also, one more thing...Profile has been a major player in the BMX world for a long time. They have been doing MTB hubs for a while also. They know what they are doing and alot of local riders here use them on their bmx and mountain bikes. I could not tell you why Profile never really seemed to advertise for their mountain bike line, like they do in BMX. Everyone kind of wonders that.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 14:10 Quote
Great sound, ludicrously expensive...profile goodness. If you can afford them go for it.

Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 15:52 Quote
I have profile racing hubs and they are amazing, I also like the sound and yes they are louder than most everyone else's hubs. I've also had good luck with their customer service as far as emails being responded to and I can service them myself. If you have the money to splurge I would say buy them.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 18:28 Quote
I agree with everything people have said. Customer service is for the most part really bad. I did have an issue (my own fault) in like 2014 and they promptly and cheaply helped me out. Besides that they are ghosts. Maybe in the bmx world cs is better.
I have two pairs of hubs that im boost adapting and two stems and both are very very high quality. The anodized colors are very deep and i add a drop or two of a light oil to make them quieter. In reality Profile hubs are no more expensive then I9, Onyx, 321 or CK. I like them because they're different and a novelty.

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 at 19:36 Quote
panzer103 wrote:
I agree with everything people have said. Customer service is for the most part really bad. I did have an issue (my own fault) in like 2014 and they promptly and cheaply helped me out. Besides that they are ghosts. Maybe in the bmx world cs is better.
I have two pairs of hubs that im boost adapting and two stems and both are very very high quality. The anodized colors are very deep and i add a drop or two of a light oil to make them quieter. In reality Profile hubs are no more expensive then I9, Onyx, 321 or CK. I like them because they're different and a novelty.

Holy thread revival batman

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 at 13:15 Quote
Holy revival is right. I am now using an i9 Hydra. It's instant and it has a higher pitch buzz. Free spins real nice once broken in. I would say it sounds better than any of the buzzing hubs. I was ready for a silent Onyx, but the Hydra just sounds wicked.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
I love a good thread revival.

I'll be interested to see more about Profile's new AC-2 hubs whenever they fully come out.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007828
Mobile Version of Website