Download restrictions

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Download restrictions
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 13:02 Quote
I've just noticed that recent changes to trail downloading seem to have introduced limitations on downloads. When trying to download trails or even saved plans from the ride planner I now get "Message: You've reached your maximum download limit for personal use. If you require more trail data please contact us.".

This makes the ride planner completely useless for me and prevents a common workflow I often use when cleaning up trails (download trail, edit offline, re-upload).

The biggest issue though is ethical - trailforks is now taking community contributed data and claiming ownership ("All data, text, and works are property of Trailforks."). I thought that originally trailforks that the data was freely available and would always remain so? (Didn't keep a copy of this, more fool me).

This development makes me incredibly angry, as a regional admin with over 1500 trails contributed I believed passionately in what I thought trailforks was trying to achieve.

If this policy continues I for one will no longer be contributing or recommending trailforks.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 18:20 Quote
This is a bug, the download limit shouldn't apply to the ride planner or ridelogs. I'll fix that.

We have tightened up the download limits for trails though, we log every download and have found several competing websites and apps mass downloading trail data without permission. Even going as far as making dozens of dummy accounts to get around the past limits. There is really no reason someone needs to download 50+ trails in a single day, or > 500 total for personal use.

As the trail download page states, if you require mass download of trail data, for use with a trail association, you can contact us. It will also make it less work, we can give you a bulk dump of an entire area, rather than downloading dozens or hundreds of trails individually. If its not for a non-profit trail association use, still contact us, we can probably help you out, as I've done with many people in the past, once they explained their use case.

Regional admins should be except from download limits in their regions as well.

The download limit should also probably not count if it's a trail you submitted, I'll fix that.

But the data policy is unchanged, we just added the text to the new trail download page to be more visible. Also note there have always been download limtis in place, since day 1. You probably never hit them, since you weren't trying to abuse the system. The difference is we added the upper limit.

It's a pretty big kick in the teeth when we find thousands upon thousands of trails download from users connected to other trail related websites. We've put easily over a million dollars into Trailforks, and have developed a lot of tools to make creating and improving the trail data over time easier. So it's fair someone just take that?

But as I first stated, the download limit is not supposed to be on ridelogs and ride plans. Looking into that now, thanks for pointing that out.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 18:35 Quote
Code changes pushed, upper download limit remove from ride planner, ridelogs & routes. No download limit for any content your the author of. And download limit removed for regional admins.

Posted: Mar 18, 2017 at 22:41 Quote
Thanks very much for the quick response on that - much relieved and much appreciated. I fully understand where you are coming from with wanting to stop mass downloads.

Thanks, Rob.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 6:56 Quote
I'm pretty new to Trailforks - have only used it a couple times. I am trying to download GPX files for offline use on my trip and to plan better. I hit the 10 GPX limit yesterday. It's now a new day and I'm still getting the error that I have reached my limit, yet I haven't downloaded anything today (unable to).

Can you help please?

Thanks, Kiki

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 10:57 Quote
kiki1597 wrote:
I'm pretty new to Trailforks - have only used it a couple times. I am trying to download GPX files for offline use on my trip and to plan better. I hit the 10 GPX limit yesterday. It's now a new day and I'm still getting the error that I have reached my limit, yet I haven't downloaded anything today (unable to).

Can you help please?

Thanks, Kiki

Its not technically a 'new day', its every 24 hours.

Posted: Dec 20, 2018 at 0:48 Quote
Hi I just recently got a GPS Computer and want to download .gpx maps for all my local bike parks. The problem I have is that for some of them I cannot download the full map and have to do it section by section for some reason.

The one (The Big Red Barn in South Africa) has 23 sections I have to dl one by one which means it is going to take me a week on the current 3 dl limit imposed to get just one bike park.

Any way in which I can dl it as a whole?

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 13:06 Quote
Today I tried to download a trail, and got a message that I had reached my limit for personal use. Looking into this further, it appears that an individual is limited to 100 downloads? As in, lifetime?

So I can't ever download from Trailforks again?

I get the need to block mass downloading, but 100 seems like a pretty low number for lifetime personal use. And the 5 per day is also tight, since many trail networks have short 1 mile -ish segments . . . so trying patch together a 15 mile loop through a dense network could easily involve downloading 10 segments, stitching them together in Topofusion to get my loop. Can't do that anymore?

Is this really a use case that is seen as threatening?

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Apr 18, 2020 at 19:49 Quote
Inertiaman wrote:
Today I tried to download a trail, and got a message that I had reached my limit for personal use. Looking into this further, it appears that an individual is limited to 100 downloads? As in, lifetime?

I get the need to block mass downloading, but 100 seems like a pretty low number for lifetime personal use. And the 5 per day is also tight, since many trail networks have short 1 mile -ish segments . . . so trying patch together a 15 mile loop through a dense network could easily involve downloading 10 segments, stitching them together in Topofusion to get my loop. Can't do that anymore?

We keep seeing abuse of it, so have to keep locking it down further. We rather have people use our Trailforks app, or you can create a route using the Route Planner tool.

If you contribute some data to the TF map, you can get your limit increased to 500, if you contribute more or donate to a local trail association, it goes to 1000.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
canadaka wrote:
We keep seeing abuse of it, so have to keep locking it down further. We rather have people use our Trailforks app, or you can create a route using the Route Planner tool.

If you contribute some data to the TF map, you can get your limit increased to 500, if you contribute more or donate to a local trail association, it goes to 1000.

Its not just about building a route. Some folks (me included) have a history of ride files that go back years, and we have our favorite tool(s) for seeing that data, in my case Topofusion. So, for example, if I want to compare something on Trailforks to prior rides from my history, it is most convenient to load a Trailforks trail into Topofusion, and then toggle my various history files, comparing segment connections, etc. And I can do all that offline. All personal use.

Oddly, I noticed today that I am now able to download, even though I haven't (yet) earned sufficient TF points to raise my limit. It wasn't a daily limit I hit (my attempt two days ago was my first download in a week or so).

Is there a way to see one's download history?

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 8:16 Quote
canadaka wrote:
Inertiaman wrote:

I donated 15 Euros to my local trail association in order to be able to download more trails. But I still get the 5-trails-per-day error-message.

Is this a bug?
Should I have contributed trails first?
What did I do wrong?

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 14:41 Quote
And the today's update of the app on IOS brought a paywall for downloading gpx tracks. This is pretty disappointing for a community driven project to hide user contributed data behind a paywall.

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 11:23 Quote
fueled wrote:
And the today's update of the app on IOS brought a paywall for downloading gpx tracks. This is pretty disappointing for a community driven project to hide user contributed data behind a paywall.

This is only limited to downloading a GPX track within the mobile app, you can still download via the website as normal. The downloading of a GPX within the app has always been a lesser option, it never included elevation data and it was a simplified path. If downloaded via the website you get the full GPS points and the elevation data.

O+
Posted: Sep 12, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
canadaka wrote:
Inertiaman wrote:

I reached my limit of GPX daily downloads due to me going back and making edits to a route I've created and exported. Now I've finalized my route and ready to export but reached my daily limit.. Any leads on this? Could I make edits on my already downloaded gpx files? Would I be able to access it on the app to change? Thanks in advance!

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 1:05 Quote
canadaka wrote:
This is only limited to downloading a GPX track within the mobile app, you can still download via the website as normal. The downloading of a GPX within the app has always been a lesser option, it never included elevation data and it was a simplified path. If downloaded via the website you get the full GPS points and the elevation data.

Even thought I haven't downloaded a GPX from Trailforks for at least a year, I am getting the same error as reported earlier ("reached the limit of downloads per day").

This seems to still be a bug to me, any plans to fix it anytime soon?

Thank you.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014437
Mobile Version of Website