I Need tougher rims

PB Forum :: 29ers
I Need tougher rims
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 11:36 Quote
Hi guys just getting back into bikes after 30 years. I picked up a Cannondale trail 4 one month ago and told the lbs the spokes were a little loose they said ride it for thirty days and they would tighten everything up.
I rode the balls off it doing bunny hops, wheelies and going up and down stairs as if I was 15 again now the Alex rims are junk I was able to true them enough to be around half mm lateral and over 1 mm radial but I want good rims.
What is a good wheel set that would hold up to my 215 lbs abuse and where is a good place to get them ?
Thanks

Posted: Mar 25, 2017 at 1:00 Quote
Check out chainreactioncycles . com. They usually have really good deals on older or display, one off sets of wheels for very cheap. Without knowing how much you want to spend, what kind of riding you do, and what the specs of wheels you need are I cant really recommend anything else.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 9:41 Quote
check out prowheelbuilder.com you can get a set of custom wheels built for your needs.

Posted: Apr 3, 2017 at 9:23 Quote
WTB Asym line up. Hands does one of the stiffest and strongest rims I've ever owned.

I'm currently running i35's and couldn't be happier. They're setup as 29+ with around 15 PSI. Living in AZ, I ride in rock gardens on the regular. Rim strikes are not uncommon. Despite all the abuse, I have yet to sustain any real damage.

Posted: May 21, 2017 at 13:50 Quote
DT swiss ex471. IMO the best rim on the market. I've done some super questionable things on these rims that should've destroyed the rims. They hold up exceptionally.

Posted: May 22, 2017 at 12:19 Quote
cd0583 wrote:
DT swiss ex471. IMO the best rim on the market. I've done some super questionable things on these rims that should've destroyed the rims. They hold up exceptionally.

I haven't used these yet but I've heard a lot of good things about them. I've got one as a spare rim for when my current rim expires.

I've also heard that they build up quite nicely.

Posted: May 23, 2017 at 10:44 Quote
I'm still running the same set of Flow ZTRs on Hope 2 EVO hubs that I bought 6 years ago. I've never trued them or touched a spoke.

Assuming the 29er wheels and updated MK3 wheels are similar, nothing beats Flows on Hopes in my book. I'm 6'3" and 240LBS kitted out to ride, so I had similar issues as you before I made the switch. They're quite affordable on ChainReaction....

Plus they're super loud which I like Smile

Posted: May 31, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
robnj wrote:
flow mk3

Yes even the old version are good and can be found cheap for a set.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022383
Mobile Version of Website