New Garmin Basemap not showing trail names on GPS when riding?

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
New Garmin Basemap not showing trail names on GPS when riding?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 21:09 Quote
Hello all. I have a new Garmin Edge 820 and recently installed the new Garmin Basemap for Arizona on my device. When i'm in map view on my GPS it shows all the trails which is great but it doesnt display any trail names when i'm riding on a specific trail. It simply says riding on trail and what direction i'm headed. Does anyone know how I can enable the device to display the trail names? Is there a setting within the gps or do the trailfork basemap simply not display the trail names?

Any info is appreciated.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 6:20 Quote
Yah, you have to use the little pointer on most devices to select the trail, then it will display the name at the top. Depending on the model, it should also tell you what trail you are currently riding on or what intersection is coming up soon. The issue here is that the Garmin system assigns the text to reserved vectors. I am experimenting with overwriting vectors that make good use of labels with our color coded trails. I am hoping the next release will show labels. It may not be for every trail difficulty level, but I will start with the most common, like Intermediate trails, then do Expert if that works out.

Well post here and on social media when the next update is ready.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 14:45 Quote
todd wrote:
Yah, you have to use the little pointer on most devices to select the trail, then it will display the name at the top. Depending on the model, it should also tell you what trail you are currently riding on or what intersection is coming up soon. The issue here is that the Garmin system assigns the text to reserved vectors. I am experimenting with overwriting vectors that make good use of labels with our color coded trails. I am hoping the next release will show labels. It may not be for every trail difficulty level, but I will start with the most common, like Intermediate trails, then do Expert if that works out.

Well post here and on social media when the next update is ready.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I greatly appreciate it. Where on social media will you be posting updates? Can you provide a link so I'm updated right away?

I will try clicking on the trail when i'm in map view to see if it will display the name. I use the new Garmin Edge 820.

Mod Plus
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 20:19 Quote
We communicate most often on our Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/trailforks/

For larger updates we also have a blog
https://www.trailforks.com/blog/
(RSS feed at bottom of page)

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014947
Mobile Version of Website