Looking for a versatile bike that can be used for single track but still jumped relatively effectively..any suggestions?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Looking for a versatile bike that can be used for single track but still jumped relatively effectively..any suggestions?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:01 Quote
Looking for something I could do light jumping but still ride a few miles of single track effectively. I know the two styles of riding are going to be a bit count-intuitive to one another but theres gotta be something that is up that alley. This is my first time posting in pb so if im doing something wrong with where or how im posting feel free to let me know.

FL
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:45 Quote
chromag stylus
put a dropper to ride some singletrack
drop the seat and style the jumps

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 13:26 Quote
You can do this with really any bike that will allow you to have a decent seated peddling position, or just stand and peddle lol.I trail ride my dirt jumper all the time. I used to have a 1x9 drivetrain on it(singlespeed now)so really I could hit any trail in the south east. I would just soften the fork preload to ease the bumps. Even with singlespeed I rode Coldwater Mountain in Anniston,AL just a few weeks back on a trip. People looked at me funny since I was on a 26" Dartmoor jump bike, with 100mm marz fork, and Singlespeed, while they all had carbon, full suspension, 27.5/29" bikes with 6" travel, and I was standing up and jumping everything I could lol.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 16:37 Quote
Yeah, this is kind of a common question.

I agree with Blwn . . . . The issue is how low do you need your seat to jump comfortably, and how high do you want your seat to ride single track effectively. It sort of depends on a person's expectations (and height) on those two issues, as to what kind of setup they would like. You can just go with a quick release seat post clamp to make the adjustment . . . . or if you want to be able to adjust while you're riding (without stopping at all), then get a dropper post.

Some may think that dropper posts are expensive and gimmicky--but I can say that if a rider is really trying to keep up with fast riders on climbs and then do jumps and/or gnarly descents in the same ride or race . . . they really do help.

All Dirt Jumpers are basically going to have a very low seat tube (standover). A shorter rider could raise the seat up less and feel fine sitting and cranking. A tall rider might need a post massively raised up.

Then again, it depends how you like to ride single track. If you stand up and mash a lot, like in BMX, maybe you don't care how tall the seat is.

I recently built up an NS Surge Evo, which is considered a All Mountain or Freeride Hard Tail. It has a taller seat tube than a typical dirt jumper (I think mine is the Large, at 17"), but the top tube still slants down, so when I drop the post, I can still jump it.

photo

Before I built up the NS, I was looking at how high would the seat need to be raised to get a "trail" position on the Black Market Killswitch . . . . It was okay, but a little kooky (and not even as high as I would ride, if I was on a true XC or Road bike)
photo

But, if I compare the seat height on my urban commuter with my DJ bike, it's pretty clear how different they are... If the DJ frame has like a 12" seat tube and 4" is required minimum insertion, there's 8" of adjustment....
photo

DJ / All Around Mountain Bike
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=158462

DJ as a trail bike
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=149801

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007261
Mobile Version of Website