Upgrading fork on Specialized Stumpjumper 2014

PB Forum :: Specialized
Upgrading fork on Specialized Stumpjumper 2014
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 8:15 Quote
Hey peeps!

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2014) that came with 130mm Reveletion fork. I was thinking about upgrading the fork to 140 or 150. Please drop your suggestions and experiences. Will 150 put my frame's integrity at stake? I mean would it even break it?

Sorry, I have no experience with forks whatsoever. So need help.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
Your frame would be fine. I'm not sure the Revelation is the fork to stretch out to 150. I think you be better off find a Pike or a Fox 34 in 150.

dhananjay151293 wrote:
Hey peeps!

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2014) that came with 130mm Reveletion fork. I was thinking about upgrading the fork to 140 or 150. Please drop your suggestions and experiences. Will 150 put my frame's integrity at stake? I mean would it even break it?

Sorry, I have no experience with forks whatsoever. So need help.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 2:38 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
Your frame would be fine. I'm not sure the Revelation is the fork to stretch out to 150. I think you be better off find a Pike or a Fox 34 in 150.

dhananjay151293 wrote:
Hey peeps!

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2014) that came with 130mm Reveletion fork. I was thinking about upgrading the fork to 140 or 150. Please drop your suggestions and experiences. Will 150 put my frame's integrity at stake? I mean would it even break it?

Sorry, I have no experience with forks whatsoever. So need help.
Yeah, I have been eyeballing Pike too! What do you think about Yari? Just having the thought of a damaged frame is scaring the s**t out of me.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 6:31 Quote
The Yari is pretty sweet. The motion control damper isn't bad, but the charger is better. Kinda depends on your budget and how you ride. If you're on a stricter budget but like to ride hard the Yari is for you. If you ride hard and have more cash go for the Lyrik.

If on the other hand you're less aggressive the pike will be great. Another nod to the pike is that it's not exactly soft by anymeans. So if you mostly trail ride but hit a few gnarly trails each summer you'll be just find on the pike.

Honestly any way you go Pike, Yari, Lyrik you're gonna be happy. All those forks kick ass.

I'm curious, anything in particular that worries you on the frame? If it's just adding a 150 fork I wouldn't worry.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 10:04 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
The Yari is pretty sweet. The motion control damper isn't bad, but the charger is better. Kinda depends on your budget and how you ride. If you're on a stricter budget but like to ride hard the Yari is for you. If you ride hard and have more cash go for the Lyrik.

If on the other hand you're less aggressive the pike will be great. Another nod to the pike is that it's not exactly soft by anymeans. So if you mostly trail ride but hit a few gnarly trails each summer you'll be just find on the pike.

Honestly any way you go Pike, Yari, Lyrik you're gonna be happy. All those forks kick ass.

I'm curious, anything in particular that worries you on the frame? If it's just adding a 150 fork I wouldn't worry.
Thank you for the information. I am on a budget and also have to explore my options. Not much options in India, so I will keep a heads up at ebay.com. Do you know of any trusted UK-based cycle store that offers worldwide shipping?

Posted: Apr 11, 2017 at 14:43 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
Honestly any way you go Pike, Yari, Lyrik you're gonna be happy. All those forks kick ass.

I'm curious, anything in particular that worries you on the frame? If it's just adding a 150 fork I wouldn't worry.

Hey, sorry to piggy-back here but I'm in the same boat ... what worries me is that I don't quite understand how adding a longer travel fork would impact the geometry of the bike.. does it essentially mean that the longer fork is set to have the same length as the previous one? Otherwise 2cm longer fork does seem to have some implications on the bb height, head angle and so on... cheers

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 6:43 Quote
A longer travel fork will change your Geometry because it is longer. It'll slacken the HT angle, and will have some affect on BB height. But the BB height on a 20mm increase in travel won't be massive, perhaps not even noticeable. You will be able to feel the slackened HT angle. You should have a more confident descender. But you'll sacrifice some "snappiness" on the climbs.

bzx wrote:
rmgoff1 wrote:
Honestly any way you go Pike, Yari, Lyrik you're gonna be happy. All those forks kick ass.

I'm curious, anything in particular that worries you on the frame? If it's just adding a 150 fork I wouldn't worry.

Hey, sorry to piggy-back here but I'm in the same boat ... what worries me is that I don't quite understand how adding a longer travel fork would impact the geometry of the bike.. does it essentially mean that the longer fork is set to have the same length as the previous one? Otherwise 2cm longer fork does seem to have some implications on the bb height, head angle and so on... cheers

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 9:22 Quote
Going up to 150 on a stump is a great idea. All of the current bikes are up at 150 now. Raises the bb just a bit, slackens the front end to what I consider perfect.

The Yari is the best $700 fork out right now. Nothing at all wrong with that damper. It's got a less-subtle adjustment than the Charger. I wouldn't spend $1k on a Pike and I have two.

If you want an amazing fork, get the MRP Stage or MRP Ribbon. Tons of adjustment (+ air, - air, external volume adjust) great damper, stiff. The Pike has been overtaken by the Stage and Ribbon and ride WAY better than Pike.

mk

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 14:05 Quote
Thanks everyone! Smile

Well I am not much concerned about the raise in BB or the slackness of HT angle, I know it will be there, and it will great assist me with descending. The only thing that tickles me is the integrity of the frame, so are there any incidents (with the Stumpjumper, of course) that you know of? Where the frame just broke or cracked under a longer travel?

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 14:15 Quote
dhananjay151293 wrote:
Hey peeps!

I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2014) that came with 130mm Reveletion fork. I was thinking about upgrading the fork to 140 or 150. Please drop your suggestions and experiences. Will 150 put my frame's integrity at stake? I mean would it even break it?

Sorry, I have no experience with forks whatsoever. So need help.

Well, I had this same problem when I owned a DJ. I had the most garbage SR Suntour fork that they make on it and I replaced it with a Manitou Minute 130mm fork that wasn't the best either, but the travel did make a difference. I think if you went to a 150 mm fork it would be bad for your frame and too much stress on the head tube. Just my opinion hope it helped.

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 at 6:44 Quote
dhananjay151293 wrote:
Thanks everyone! Smile

Well I am not much concerned about the raise in BB or the slackness of HT angle, I know it will be there, and it will great assist me with descending. The only thing that tickles me is the integrity of the frame, so are there any incidents (with the Stumpjumper, of course) that you know of? Where the frame just broke or cracked under a longer travel?


Don't worry about your frame. Going from a 130-150 fork won't compromise the frame. If you're regularly nose casing big jumps or big drops to flat, sure but the fork isn't the issue there. If you want to ride big gnarly trails with crazy features all the time the Stumpy isn't the bike for you, But we're talking GNARLY. I regularly take my stumpys on some local DH tracks here in Utah, it's just fine in Deer Valley. I go down south regularly and play on Porcupine rim, Mag 7, St. George trails. You'll be fine.

Posted: Apr 14, 2017 at 2:55 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
dhananjay151293 wrote:
Thanks everyone! Smile

Well I am not much concerned about the raise in BB or the slackness of HT angle, I know it will be there, and it will great assist me with descending. The only thing that tickles me is the integrity of the frame, so are there any incidents (with the Stumpjumper, of course) that you know of? Where the frame just broke or cracked under a longer travel?


Don't worry about your frame. Going from a 130-150 fork won't compromise the frame. If you're regularly nose casing big jumps or big drops to flat, sure but the fork isn't the issue there. If you want to ride big gnarly trails with crazy features all the time the Stumpy isn't the bike for you, But we're talking GNARLY. I regularly take my stumpys on some local DH tracks here in Utah, it's just fine in Deer Valley. I go down south regularly and play on Porcupine rim, Mag 7, St. George trails. You'll be fine.
Not too big, there aren't much featured trails in my city. Just some natural ones in ridges, I almost don't even bottom out the 130. But yeah, there are natural jumps and drops that I would love to go for, and yes they are still not that big. I am just thinking of it for long-term basis, may be an year or two, when I would improvise on my skills and go big,


Totally confused, I still am in doubt whether 130 is enough or should i upgrade the fork, or should i save the money for a new bike?

Posted: Apr 14, 2017 at 6:43 Quote
In your case, if you don't bottom out the fork, I'd play with fine-tuning it (PSI, tokens, rebound) and see if you can improve its charcteristics, and your riding skill at the same time... Revelation is not that bad of a fork to ditch it right away, I've ridden with the Stumpy in lower mountains with many drops and rocky sections it and it was okay. I don't do any big jumps, only small (~2 meters).

I was thinking of switching the fork, but the more I think about it, I feel that it makes more sense to save for a new bike..

Posted: Apr 14, 2017 at 7:03 Quote
bzx wrote:
In your case, if you don't bottom out the fork, I'd play with fine-tuning it (PSI, tokens, rebound) and see if you can improve its charcteristics, and your riding skill at the same time... Revelation is not that bad of a fork to ditch it right away, I've ridden with the Stumpy in lower mountains with many drops and rocky sections it and it was okay. I don't do any big jumps, only small (~2 meters).

I was thinking of switching the fork, but the more I think about it, I feel that it makes more sense to save for a new bike..
Thanks man. I guess it makes sense, by the time I have worked out my skills pretty well, I will almost have the money for a new bike, may be an Enduro with 160mm travel Smile

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
Any of you guys who are upgrading your Specialized, Stump Jumper 29er fork want to sell me your old one? or trade me for the Fox fork which is currently in my Stump Jumper?

I'm replacing the front wheel with a motorized front wheel which cannot be accommodated by the Fox with its enclosed axil. This wheel requires a Drop-In hub

Contact me a charnish@Mac.com.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009435
Mobile Version of Website