Angleset for 1 1/8 bike to tapered 1.5 fork? Convert tapered to straight steerer; can it be done? worth it? other options?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Angleset for 1 1/8 bike to tapered 1.5 fork? Convert tapered to straight steerer; can it be done? worth it? other options?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 10:44 Quote
Hey everyone. I am trying to put a kickass fork on my Ironhorse 6point. I will bit fitting it wih an angleset and looking for a fork with at least 160mm-170mm of travel. Adjustable travel might be nice. Possibly put a 27.5" wheel up front. Will be using this bike as my aggressive killer AM bike, bike park, and jump bike. A fork that is good for jumping and aggressive riding and even trail would be ideal. Relatively light would be nice but thats often where my pockets get emptied. lol. The thing is I can only use a straight steerer tube on my Ironhorse 6point with an angleset (at least thats only what i've seen available from manufactures). I am in need of some good advice on a fork that would work with my application or some-type of solution. Is there anyway I would be able to mod a fork with a tapered steerer and convert it to straight steerer? I'm not sure if anyone has tried, or even swapping the uppers from a different fork. I can find 100mm straight steerer forks all day just not anything in 160mm. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I know I typed a lot so hear is the shortened questions i have:
1) Is there an angleset that will fit zerostack 1 1/8 headtube to make a tapered steerer fork work?
(i.e. 2008 Ironhorse 6point)
2) Is there a fork out there with 160mm travel and 27.5 wheel clearance(will consider 26) with a straight steerer?
3) If neighther those work, would it be possible to swapp uppers of a fork to make it a straight steerer that still has 160 of travel and if so what forks would work?

Drop a line. Thanks for anyhelp, much appriciated.
Cheers
Ryan

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 9:22 Quote
You could probably have the steer tube replaced with a straight 1.1/8 steer tube on whatever fork you would prefer as long as you're prepared to pay.

Posted: Mar 23, 2017 at 12:44 Quote
DugS wrote:
You could probably have the steer tube replaced with a straight 1.1/8 steer tube on whatever fork you would prefer as long as you're prepared to pay.

Pay.. pff! what about DIY!?? Wink
or if it requires that much precision specialty tools then who has the best prices and how much does that sorta thing normally run?
Ideally a conversion angle-set would do the trick i think but haven't found any

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 9:45 Quote
Just to clarify, you need the stear tube on the fork to be 1-1/8" straight top and bottom. You're asking about an angle-set that can change a 1-1/2" steertube down to 1-1/8"? As in making a 1-1/2" fit into a hole ment for 1-1/8". If that is what you're after then no not possible, need to change the steertube.

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 at 11:07 Quote
Well they make bottom external cups to fit 1.5 tapered forks fit the old straight 1 1/8 headtubes. From another thread :
"It has to be a 44 mm inner diameter head tube. I have an IH 6.6, it was advertised as a 1.5 HT, which it is not. I am currently running a 1.5 tapered steerer on that bad boy. Bottom cup is external and top cup is zero stack. So, yes it can be done."

I was wanting to know if anything is out there that runs that external cup along with adjust the slack and angle.
If not, then I need to find a 160mm straight 1 1/8 steer fork that can run 27.5 wheel. But I don't know if any such thing exists.

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 at 11:02 Quote
http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/suspension/straight-steerer-1-1-8-fork-options

See they do make them. My question is would it be possible to have angleset with a conversion headset (zerostack 44mm originally for 1 1/8 but want to fit a tapered fork). The reason being is I need a new fork and 1 1/8 straight steerer tube forks are hard to come by. Its a bitch. I'm assuming I can't do this unfortunately unless anyone has experience that its possible please let me know.

--- ### my next question is what are the best forks with 160-170mm travel that are good for trail/AM/FR/and light DH with 1 1/8 straight steer tube. If I have a few models to search for it would be easier to find one. Lockout or travel adjust would be preferred as this would be a trail bike but would take it to bike parks as well. Lets start a list because I haven't found any type of list yet. Any help appreciated, I'll buy you a beer at SeaOtter.. haBeer

CHEERS
Ryan

Posted: Apr 13, 2017 at 13:29 Quote
Yes there is a version for 44 (integrated) headtubes, both cups will be external. Both Works components and Superstar components make them. Note though that if is a standard 1 1/8 I dont think there is.

Posted: Apr 16, 2017 at 21:51 Quote
johan90 wrote:
Yes there is a version for 44 (integrated) headtubes, both cups will be external. Both Works components and Superstar components make them. Note though that if is a standard 1 1/8 I dont think there is.

Damnit! I just ordered an angleset from works components for a 1 1/8th steerer fork and still need to find a good fork, which is a pain in the ass to find what I need for a straight steerer. Imma have to email them see if they can order something for me because I don't see that product on their website. Is Superstar Components Anglesets anygood?? Better??

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 16:16 Quote
What ever fork you get I'm sure Works components can hook you up with what you need. But I would try to go for a straight 1.1/8 then you can always get it on the bike no matter what.

For a tapered steerer in a 44 HT I think you only need the top cup offset as the lower one cant be offset. That is how a tapered steerer setup in a ZS56 comes out, which I will be running shortly. Only the bearing seat is a bit offset to compensate the angle but I doubt its going to make any problem beyond chaning bearings a little more often.

Superstars quality is the same as Works, really hard to mess up machining a headset!

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 15:48 Quote
Yea just problem is finding a good 1 1/8 straight steerer fork with at least 160mm travel but also has the ability of adjustable travel

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
Don't know if you had any joy on the fork. Another option is offset bushings. https://www.offsetbushings.com/.
I am running both an angleset(1 1/8 straight) and a set of offset bushings on my Pivot Mach 5 (2009) slacks the head angle out to around 67. Fairly modern for an old bike.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018781
Mobile Version of Website