Noob new to DJ's. bike tips

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Noob new to DJ's. bike tips
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 17:21 Quote
So...I am very new to DJ's. got some questions. I'm getting ready to pick up my first DJ it's a Transition BLT on the Large frame. I guess my main question is how should I set this thing up. I'm tall 6'5" 220lbs. I am mainly going to be riding this thing at Rays MTN bike park in Cleveland. I'm thinking I'm going to need a set of bars on it with a good amount of rise. Any suggestions? I am actually very new to the MTN bike world in general. I mainly ride motocross and went to rays on a whim about 2 months ago and have been back about a dozen times renting their bikes ever since. Allot of fun! Figured I'd get DJ to start. Any suggestion or tips would be highly appreciated! If you don't think the BLT is a good bike I can always get something different. I enjoy the pump tracks and jumps mainly but I just dig the whole place.

Sorry this was all over the place. Not sure really what questions to ask or even where to start.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 17:41 Quote
Your Transition BLT was a good choice. One of the interesting things about the BLT versus the PBJ (and other typical DJ dirt-oriented bikes) is that the BLT has a higher bottom bracket, more designed for ramp/street/park, in addition to dirt. So, it's ideal for Ray's.

BUT, a higher bottom bracket for a tall rider means that you'll feel like you're standing a little higher over the bike. So, at 6'5" you could easily run 3" 4" or even 5"+ rise bars.

The BLT bottom bracket's height is close to wheel axle level (not an inch below it). http://www.sugarcayne.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/blt-transition-21-640x387.jpg This is actually similar to BMX race 24"s.

The Atomlab Pimplite Riser bars, at 3", are the tallest one piece handlebar with a 31.8mm clamp area. NS District might be the tallest with a 25.4 clamp area.

Low rise, 3" 4" 5", bmx bars on an MTB
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=170526

But there's also the option of running BMX cruiser style bars. 99% of them are going to have a 22.2 or 7/8" clamp area. So you need a BMX stem. However, STOUT has made a few with 25.4 and possibly 31.8 clamp area.

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.059507
Mobile Version of Website