The New Furious

PB Forum :: Commencal
The New Furious
Posted: Oct 20, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
Hi all I am thinking of buying the current furious frameset in XL (I'm 6'4''). The short chainstay worries me a bit, but when I look at the number as a ratio of the wheelbase the ratio seems close to other bikes with longer chainstays. The steeper headangle makes it work I guess. On the other hand I don't know how the ratio changes when goes is deeper in the travel.

Can anyone with an XL tell me if they have trouble putting enough weight on the front wheel, especially when cornering?

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 10:26 Quote
I’ve just got myself a large within the last few weeks...feels mega. Definitely a lot bigger than my last bike which was also a large. I’m 6’2 and was also debating the XL but comparing measurements with other brands the L came in comparable to most other XLs.

Posted: Dec 19, 2020 at 0:14 Quote
Anyone mulleted a furious yet? Having just done my kenevo with 29 boxxer lowers and seeing the benefits I wouldn't want a 27.5 front.

Posted: Dec 20, 2020 at 2:15 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
Anyone mulleted a furious yet? Having just done my kenevo with 29 boxxer lowers and seeing the benefits I wouldn't want a 27.5 front.

It would raise the bb about 1~ 1,5 cm because of the higher axle-to-crown length of a 29-er fork, and larger wheel. You could fix that by running more sag, but then you lose some travel. I'm not sure if you can use 27.5 lowers on 29-er boxxers / fox 40 etc.

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
You could run a an angle set to get the bottom bracket back down...the ATC of the 29 boxer is 602, the ATC on the 27.5 is 581mm which that alone will drop your head angle by a degree, the the added tire radius of 29vs 27.5 is around 20mm..so about another degree slacker putting the HA to 62 degrees...

Posted: Dec 20, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
Yes my kenevo mullet is just over 62 degrees now with boxxer 29 lowers fitted (+20mm) and the bigger wheel (+20mm). The BB was raised by 7mm from 340mm to 347mm.
The bars height only increased by 5mm by using a Thompson -5mm drop stem.
There is always the option to fit a 190mm airshaft to lower the front a bit if necessary.
Very tempted by a furious as my next DH bike. The geometry is pretty similar to the kenevo. I definitely want a 29 front, I recon this is a feasible project.

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
mcozzy wrote:

I Mulleted my 2021 Furious, and it works great! Much better through the Chunk and still feels like a 27.5" bike. However, for the more flowy bike parks with less chunk, I still prefer the Furious with 27.5" front and back.

As a Mullet, I am still using the same 27.5" Fox40 fork for my Furious. It still has about 5mm of Clearance from the top of the 29er tire to the bottom of the Brake Arch. Since it is the same Fork, the Fork Length effectively only increased 18mm due to the increase Radius of the 29er wheel. With this set up, Furious got only 0.75 degrees slacker in HTA and STA, BB about 6mm higher, Reach decreased 8mm, and WB increased 8mm.

I worked all the numbers in the Geo Calculators before doing the swap. If I were to use a Fox40 29er with the same 29er tire the numbers still look good. HTA and STA would be 1.6 Degree slacker, WB increases 18mm, Reach decreases, 18mm, and BB height increases 12mm.

Posted: Dec 21, 2020 at 11:33 Quote
That's really good info thank you. I guess the 40 must have a little more arch clearance than a boxxer. Certainly using a 2.6 29 with the 27.5 boxxer lowers it rubbed.

Posted: Dec 22, 2020 at 7:53 Quote
Hello, Im 6ft4/193 cm and was thinking of getting the furious in XL, but 510 mm sounds like too much reach for it to still be playful and make a balanced dh bike. I'm also worried about the weight on front wheel as previously mentioned in this feed. Has anyone else tried the XL or another bike with similar geo? Thanks

Posted: Dec 22, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
Goa172 wrote:
Hello, Im 6ft4/193 cm and was thinking of getting the furious in XL, but 510 mm sounds like too much reach for it to still be playful and make a balanced dh bike. I'm also worried about the weight on front wheel as previously mentioned in this feed. Has anyone else tried the XL or another bike with similar geo? Thanks

The stack is on the low side (613mm). So once you put 2cm of spacers under the top crown you already lost 1 cm of actual reach. And with a 40mm stem instead of 50, or slightly more backsweep of the handlebar you lose another cm, and with a reach-adjust headset you can lose another 7mm.

Posted: Dec 22, 2020 at 18:03 Quote
Goa172 wrote:

I myself like a Balance feeling bike, they just seem more predictable for cornering. It sucks that Furious uses the same rear triangle for all sizes, that XL must feel really unbalanced with he same 435mm Chainstay that the Small has.

I will say this, once you get use to the bike it will be fine. Short Chainstay does make the bike easier to fly down the steeps as well as to manual. I think you will be fine with either sizes.

I myself am 170cm in height with a 175cm wingspan, and the Medium with 465mm Reach does NOT really feel out of place once I got use to the bike. I did end up going Small only because I wanted more of a Park bike with a shorter Wheelbase for the fun Factor. The 2020/2021 Small Furious (1223 WB, and 440mm Reach) is still pretty big though, it is basically the same size as a 2016 Large Scott Gambler.

If the Reach feels to long, you also can get a riser bar, cut the bars shorter, and get a 10mm shorter stem. All basically will effectively decrease the Reach Length.

Posted: Dec 23, 2020 at 4:08 Quote
Goa172 wrote:
Im 183cm and ride large furious with 30mm stem because i only ride jumps. It feels just spot on right size. Maybe a bit small. I would use 40-50mm stem for downhill. I guess you could enjoy the XL size bike. It Will be really confident inspiring bike with that long wheelbase but with short playful rear.

Posted: Dec 23, 2020 at 4:51 Quote
Thanks a lot for your input, I was also leaning towards XL and ill tweak the reach with spacers, bar sweep and maybe a reach headset if needed

Posted: Dec 24, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
HendersonMike wrote:
mcozzy wrote:

I Mulleted my 2021 Furious, and it works great! Much better through the Chunk and still feels like a 27.5" bike. However, for the more flowy bike parks with less chunk, I still prefer the Furious with 27.5" front and back.

As a Mullet, I am still using the same 27.5" Fox40 fork for my Furious. It still has about 5mm of Clearance from the top of the 29er tire to the bottom of the Brake Arch. (...)

Interesting that it fits. No space for a mudguard though I guess.

What tire brand/model/width did you use that gives this 5mm clearance?

Don't you have any trouble with dirt getting stuck in between the tire and the arch and blocking the tire?

Have you tested if the tire would touch the lower crown when bottoming out by letting all the air out of the fork?

O+
Posted: Dec 24, 2020 at 10:56 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
HendersonMike wrote:
mcozzy wrote:

As a Mullet, I am still using the same 27.5" Fox40 fork for my Furious. It still has about 5mm of Clearance from the top of the 29er tire to the bottom of the Brake Arch. (...)

Interesting that it fits. No space for a mudguard though I guess.

What tire brand/model/width did you use that gives this 5mm clearance?

Don't you have any trouble with dirt getting stuck in between the tire and the arch and blocking the tire?

Have you tested if the tire would touch the lower crown when bottoming out by letting all the air out of the fork?

It would be fun to ride it at mammoth where the pumice stones constantly get stuck in your tires then hit your brake arch and make a scary (at first) popping sound as the tire rockets them out, I’d imagine it would happen even more often with a tighter clearance.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009578
Mobile Version of Website