The New Furious

PB Forum :: Commencal
The New Furious
Posted: Dec 24, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
Assuming the furious doesn't use trunnion shock mount you could also use offset shock bushings to lower the bb height by a cm or so.

Posted: Dec 29, 2020 at 13:22 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
HendersonMike wrote:
mcozzy wrote:
Anyone mulleted a furious yet? Having just done my kenevo with 29 boxxer lowers and seeing the benefits I wouldn't want a 27.5 front.

I Mulleted my 2021 Furious, and it works great! Much better through the Chunk and still feels like a 27.5" bike. However, for the more flowy bike parks with less chunk, I still prefer the Furious with 27.5" front and back.

As a Mullet, I am still using the same 27.5" Fox40 fork for my Furious. It still has about 5mm of Clearance from the top of the 29er tire to the bottom of the Brake Arch. (...)

Interesting that it fits. No space for a mudguard though I guess.

What tire brand/model/width did you use that gives this 5mm clearance?

Don't you have any trouble with dirt getting stuck in between the tire and the arch and blocking the tire?

Have you tested if the tire would touch the lower crown when bottoming out by letting all the air out of the fork?

12mm NOT 5mm. My bad! I just remeasured from the top of the knob of the tire to the bottom of the crown, and I have 12mm and NOT 5mm. Even with the mudguard on I have about 9mm of clearance.

I am using an AMS mudguard and 2.35" 29er Magic Mary Tire. I have found the Maxxis 2.5" Tire diameter to be about the same as the Magic Mary's 2.35"; so therefore I believe a 2.5" Maxxis DHF will have about the same amount of clearance. I have no problems with dirt getting stuck, or if I am getting anything stuck, I have NOT noticed at all.

Even with a 29er fork, the fork length only increases 10mm from what I have now. So all her measurements will be almost the same of what I have now.

I did take out all the air out of the fork and compressed it all the way to see if tire hits the downtube, and it does NOT. However, even when she was a full 27.5 bike, I started running the "fork height" at 590mm and NOT the Commencal recommended 580mm to make her just a little bit slacker.

Here she is at Brianhead when fork was at 580mm and running as a full 27.5" bike.
For the more flowing bike parks, I prefer full 27.5" and her HTA a little more slacker.
photo

Here she is at Bootleg Canyon as a Mullet, Fork is Fox40 27.5" set at 590mm.
Here she becomes 1.2 Degree Slacker, WB increased 12.5mm, BB raised 9mm, and Reach decreased 12mm; when comparing to Factory settings.
photo

A visual of the difference between 29er and 27.5
photo

Another visual, but up close
photo

Posted: Dec 29, 2020 at 16:00 Quote
HendersonMike wrote:
(...)

12mm NOT 5mm. My bad! I just remeasured from the top of the knob of the tire to the bottom of the crown, and I have 12mm and NOT 5mm. Even with the mudguard on I have about 9mm of clearance.

I am using an AMS mudguard and 2.35" 29er Magic Mary Tire. I have found the Maxxis 2.5" Tire diameter to be about the same as the Magic Mary's 2.35"; so therefore I believe a 2.5" Maxxis DHF will have about the same amount of clearance. I have no problems with dirt getting stuck, or if I am getting anything stuck, I have NOT noticed at all.

Even with a 29er fork, the fork length only increases 10mm from what I have now. So all her measurements will be almost the same of what I have now.

I did take out all the air out of the fork and compressed it all the way to see if tire hits the downtube, and it does NOT. However, even when she was a full 27.5 bike, I started running the "fork height" at 590mm and NOT the Commencal recommended 580mm to make her just a little bit slacker.

Here she is at Brianhead when fork was at 580mm and running as a full 27.5" bike.
For the more flowing bike parks, I prefer full 27.5" and her HTA a little more slacker.
(...)

Here she is at Bootleg Canyon as a Mullet, Fork is Fox40 27.5" set at 590mm.
Here she becomes 1.2 Degree Slacker, WB increased 12.5mm, BB raised 9mm, and Reach decreased 12mm; when comparing to Factory settings.
(...)

A visual of the difference between 29er and 27.5
(...)
Thanks for the detailed reply! I would probably go with an angleset and offset shock bushing myself to keep the head angle and bb height the same. On my XL the rear-center is already short relative to the front-center. Before anyone tries: I haven't checked if shortening the eye-to-eye of the shock with the offset bushing by a few mm would result in the seatstay-bridge hitting the seattube when bottoming out the shock.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 0:00 Quote
Aptlynamed wrote:
Thanks for the detailed reply! I would probably go with an angleset and offset shock bushing myself to keep the head angle and bb height the same. On my XL the rear-center is already short relative to the front-center. Before anyone tries: I haven't checked if shortening the eye-to-eye of the shock with the offset bushing by a few mm would result in the seatstay-bridge hitting the seattube when bottoming out the shock.

Depends on what you want. Even with a Fox 40 29er Fork and with a 29er tire, the HTA will be only -1.6 degrees slacker. The 2020/2021 Furious is already on the Steep side at 64 Degrees. So with a 29er fork and a 29er tire, the HTA will be 62.4 Degrees, and that is NOT too slack considering lots of the current DH bikes already have HTA around that measurement.

I myself think BB height is way over rated, yeah low is good, but can we really tell a difference if a BB is 12mm higher? I myself love the extra clearance of 12mm, it is NOT much, but 12mm is still about the thickness of 8 pennies, and every little bit counts when it comes to rock strikes. A hard strike is a good way to lose control and go over the bars.

We will lose about 18mm of Reach, but you can make up for that 18mm by using a combination of wider bars + lowering the stem + using a longer stem.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 2:08 Quote
That is good to know, 12mm clearance would be fine.
I guess fox has more clearance than rockshox. This is a 29, although a 2.6 in a boxxer c1, absolutely no clearance at all, although that may be due to the bigger tyre. I dont have a 40 to test with.

photo

But useful to know if I do buy a furious with a 40, then it looks like I wont need to buy new lowers to be able to fit a 29 wheel with upto a 2.5 tyre.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 10:27 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
That is good to know, 12mm would be fine.
I guess fox has more clearance than rockshox. This is a 29, although a 2.6 in a boxxer c1, absolutely no clearance at all, although that may be due to the bigger tyre. I dont have a 40 to test with.

But useful to know if I do buy a furious with a 40, then it looks like I wont need to buy new lowers to be able to fit a 29 wheel with upto a 2.5 tyre.

I am not certain the newer 27.5" Fox40 will have the same amount of clearance with a 29" tire. The Fox40 lower changed in 2020.

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 10:35 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
That is good to know, 12mm would be fine.

photo

I don’t think I’d feel comfortable with such a small amount of clearance.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 11:47 Quote
unrooted wrote:

Yeah I'm not riding it like that! I just dropped the 29 wheel into my 27.5 boxxers to take a look whilst waiting for the 29 boxxer lowers to turn up.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
unrooted wrote:

That picture with the Rockshox Fork looks like it only has 2mm, it looks scary tight, but I think it will be FINE.

Why do we need so much clearance anyways? It is not like the top of the tire will grow when the bottom of the tire compresses all the way, does it? I have pumped up a tire to 50psi to seat the tire, and I have noticed that the tire measurements do NOT change at all from 25psi (my normal pressure) to 50psi.

I myself would just ride it that way and see for myself if there are problems, which I doubt there will be.

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 12:21 Quote
HendersonMike wrote:
unrooted wrote:

That picture with the Rockshox Fork looks like it only has 2mm, it looks scary tight, but I think it will be FINE.

Why do we need so much clearance anyways? It is not like the top of the tire will grow when the bottom of the tire compresses all the way, does it? I have pumped up a tire to 50psi to seat the tire, and I have noticed that the tire measurements do NOT change at all from 25psi (my normal pressure) to 50psi.

Rocks, sticks & mud.
I myself would just ride it that way and see for myself if there are problems, which I doubt there will be.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
unrooted wrote:
Rocks, sticks & mud.

Rocks should bounce off, and the mud should unclog itself if you go fast enough HAHAHA.

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 11:38 Quote
Hi

Anyone with The V2 2020/2021 that can give me a hint with sizing.

Im 187cm - 6 feet 1⅝ inch

I Would Call myself an intermediate rider but i dont have a chance to test one before a purchase.

/chefers

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 12:09 Quote
Cdr-Keen wrote:
Hi

Anyone with The V2 2020/2021 that can give me a hint with sizing.

Im 187cm - 6 feet 1⅝ inch

I Would Call myself an intermediate rider but i dont have a chance to test one before a purchase.

/chefers

Get the large.
I’m 188cm on the large and it’s mint.

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 11:42 Quote
Must say this 2021 model is one of the nicest bikes I’ve seen

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 18:43 Quote
Has anyone around 6'2" ridden an XL furious? I'm pretty set on getting a Large as many posts have stated but just curious on the XL.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.092686
Mobile Version of Website