The New Furious

PB Forum :: Commencal
The New Furious
O+ FL
Posted: Jan 31, 2018 at 16:10 Quote
I'm torn on sizing - I am 6'1 (185cm) and trying to decide between the large and the XL. at 440mm reach, the reach on the large is a full inch shorter in reach than my trail bike...but the XL is 470mm, so 7mm longer than my trail bike. any advice? it seems like there's a mix of people here who are happy with the recommended size and some who sized up.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 8:38 Quote
I'm torn on size to at 170cm I would be on a medium with a 415 reach but ride 450mm on modern medium size trail bike. The difference in stem size still leaves it 15mm shorter with a 50mm stem on the med furious. Plus, I'm hearing that these feel shorter than the numbers say. Reach just seems short for Medium DH rig. 430 reach and 50mm stem on my last rig was nice, so leaning to Large 440 with Spike 25/35mm stem. Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know if the frame shock mounts changed position on the '18 frame from '17 frame to go the extra 9mm eye to eye length? Wondering if I could use my 241/75 shock on a '18 vice the 250/75. It's only 9mm difference but unsure if that would allow the tire to make contact with the seat tube or saddle? Thoughts?

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 11:46 Quote
To Livlief and Zhendo. So iám 179cm precies and have a Large Furious with a 30mm Stem and feels super roomy to me ( i rode a specialized status in large and felt alot smaller) So if iám 170 i would go medium for sure. At 185 it's up to debate i ques but for me the Large frame feels good and iám not a small guy i weigh 92 kg with gear and have pretty wide shoulders ( if i say so myself Wink What does the Commencal size chart tell u

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 at 12:39 Quote
Dickiescbb wrote:
To Livlief and Zhendo. So iám 179cm precies and have a Large Furious with a 30mm Stem and feels super roomy to me ( i rode a specialized status in large and felt alot smaller) So if iám 170 i would go medium for sure. At 185 it's up to debate i ques but for me the Large frame feels good and iám not a small guy i weigh 92 kg with gear and have pretty wide shoulders ( if i say so myself Wink What does the Commencal size chart tell u

Thanks Dickiescbb. I was thinking the same, but my medium pivot had a 628 ETT & 428 reach with a 50mm stem and felt perfect to me (478 total reach), so I figured a large with 440 reach with 30mm stem bringing it to 470 and a sub 600 ETT would be hardly noticeable. That said, the pivot was a full degree slacker and felt more comfortable in a low fwd position attacking steep and gnarly stuff.

Hope I'm not wrong, but I'll probably pull the trigger on the large knowing I can always with go shorter stem if needed. Plus, their new geometry found on the DH29 has a 445 reach on the size medium and gives a rider size of 168 to 180cm for that size, but yet the same chart recommendation for the size medium furious with a 415 reach. (on commencalusa site)

Hopefully, Commencal will update their size chart for each model with different reach numbers in the same size. They don't even make a small but it's on the sizing chart for the 29'r. Just a quick cut and paste I guess. Either way, definitely not helping in the sizing department on a bike you can't demo (at least in my area).

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 at 6:51 Quote
yeah, those numbers i don't look at i just try what feels good. The bike park i ride a lot in Germany and Belgium has a ton of riders so what i do i ask them kindly if i can sit on the bike and pedal a bit to see how the sizing is. My mates ride a Commencal supreme and the sizing is way different then my furious

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 at 9:34 Quote
Dickiescbb wrote:
yeah, those numbers i don't look at i just try what feels good. The bike park i ride a lot in Germany and Belgium has a ton of riders so what i do i ask them kindly if i can sit on the bike and pedal a bit to see how the sizing is. My mates ride a Commencal supreme and the sizing is way different then my furious

Yeah. I wish I had someone close near Orange County, NY area that had these, but not as prevalent over here. As a consumer direct brand here, it's sure tough with each model ETT and Reach being different but with the same sizing recommendations.

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 at 13:48 Quote
haha, i wish i knew people in the orange county, NY to visit and ride Big Grin can't have it all i ques Big Grin i have to drive every other weekend 3 to 4 hours to get to bikeparks to ride my bike

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 13:44 Quote
Hey team.

I own a 2018 Commencal Furious Race, Just curious if anyone else has had issues with how the front brake pads are wearing?
The pads don't sit on the rotor 100% so there is a huge lip appearing on the pads

the code brakes bolt direct onto the fox 40, with sram centreline rotor 200mm
per the fox manual it states this should be a 203mm rotor, this is all I can narrow it down too.

churr Big Grin

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 13:54 Quote
u answered your own question "The pads don't sit on the rotor 100% "

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 14:05 Quote
Number29 wrote:
Hey team.

I own a 2018 Commencal Furious Race, Just curious if anyone else has had issues with how the front brake pads are wearing?
The pads don't sit on the rotor 100% so there is a huge lip appearing on the pads

the code brakes bolt direct onto the fox 40, with sram centreline rotor 200mm
per the fox manual it states this should be a 203mm rotor, this is all I can narrow it down too.

churr Big Grin

The CPS washers may be aligned incorrectly.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 23:41 Quote
Just received my Furious Origin 2017, photos will come soon when I finish the build Smile
I ordered a 241x76 Vivid R2C on Commencal website to replace the Kage but I noticed that the Vivid is a Low Comp model whereas the Kage is a Mid Comp one.
I checked Rockshox website and found this chart :

photo

With 200mm of wheel travel, the leverage ratio is 2,63 so a Mid Comp seems to be more suitable for the Furious.

What do you guys run ? Do you think I should send it back to Commencal to get a Mid Comp ?

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2018 at 19:41 Quote
Hello PB,

I'm building a new furious, frame up build. I just purchased a brand new set of I9 wheels and got them put on today. I noticed there is about 1 to 2mm of play in the rear triangle when the axle is tight. The axle itself does not thread in far enough and there for allows me to spread the chain stays apart by 1 to 2 mm. Is there supposed to be a washer that goes on the head of the axle that I may not have received? I will call commencal on monday to get there thoughts, but for now I thought I would reach out to pinkbike.

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 at 4:22 Quote
derteracing wrote:
Hello PB,

I'm building a new furious, frame up build. I just purchased a brand new set of I9 wheels and got them put on today. I noticed there is about 1 to 2mm of play in the rear triangle when the axle is tight. The axle itself does not thread in far enough and there for allows me to spread the chain stays apart by 1 to 2 mm. Is there supposed to be a washer that goes on the head of the axle that I may not have received? I will call commencal on monday to get there thoughts, but for now I thought I would reach out to pinkbike.

Hello derteracing ! There's no washer. You should ask Commençal for a new axle, maybe a new frame. I hop we'll see some pics of your bike when it will be built!

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 at 4:54 Quote
So I'm glad I went with a size large at 170cm. Feels good with the 50mm stem, but the first ride wasn't on the steepest of trails. Cockpit seems cramped due to the steep STA, but I actually like it for some reason. Definitely couldn't have gone with a medium size. Anyway, I christened her well in the sloppy post rain/snow mess we had this weekend and it felt awesome in the air and in the sloppy corners. Only once did I come off a rock step down did I feel the rear buck up, but was probably due to my rear suspension set up or body position in the moment. Otherwise, the only think I plan on doing is throwing on a -1 WC headset to bring it a bit more my last bikes geometry and for my own personal feel for how I ride.

photo

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 at 15:28 Quote
derteracing wrote:
Hello PB,

What kind of i9 wheels? ... did you buy a 148mm hub by any chance?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029676
Mobile Version of Website