The New Furious

PB Forum :: Commencal
The New Furious
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 11:07 Quote
livlief wrote:
So I'm glad I went with a size large at 170cm. Feels good with the 50mm stem, but the first ride wasn't on the steepest of trails. Cockpit seems cramped due to the steep STA, but I actually like it for some reason. Definitely couldn't have gone with a medium size. Anyway, I christened her well in the sloppy post rain/snow mess we had this weekend and it felt awesome in the air and in the sloppy corners. Only once did I come off a rock step down did I feel the rear buck up, but was probably due to my rear suspension set up or body position in the moment. Otherwise, the only think I plan on doing is throwing on a -1 WC headset to bring it a bit more my last bikes geometry and for my own personal feel for how I ride.

I'm in a similar boat. I am about to order a furious, but I am unsure what size to go with. I am (5'8" or 172cm) and should be a medium on their size chart, but looking at the geometry I feel like I should size up. I spend most of my time riding a 2016 stumpjumper (size medium) which has a 417mm reach, which is negligibly longer than the reach on the size medium furious (415mm). My current "DH" and bike park ride is a specialized big hit 1 (2009 medium), which is what I will be replacing with the furious. The big hit feels so small to me now that I am used to riding the stumpjumper, and I don't want to have that feeling on my next DH bike. The size large furious has 440mm reach. Would I be better off sticking to closer numbers to my trail bike, or sizing up and shortening the stem if it feels too long?

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 11:20 Quote
InstantBreakfast wrote:
livlief wrote:
So I'm glad I went with a size large at 170cm. Feels good with the 50mm stem, but the first ride wasn't on the steepest of trails. Cockpit seems cramped due to the steep STA, but I actually like it for some reason. Definitely couldn't have gone with a medium size. Anyway, I christened her well in the sloppy post rain/snow mess we had this weekend and it felt awesome in the air and in the sloppy corners. Only once did I come off a rock step down did I feel the rear buck up, but was probably due to my rear suspension set up or body position in the moment. Otherwise, the only think I plan on doing is throwing on a -1 WC headset to bring it a bit more my last bikes geometry and for my own personal feel for how I ride.

I'm in a similar boat. I am about to order a furious, but I am unsure what size to go with. I am (5'8" or 172cm) and should be a medium on their size chart, but looking at the geometry I feel like I should size up. I spend most of my time riding a 2016 stumpjumper (size medium) which has a 417mm reach, which is negligibly longer than the reach on the size medium furious (415mm). My current "DH" and bike park ride is a specialized big hit 1 (2009 medium), which is what I will be replacing with the furious. The big hit feels so small to me now that I am used to riding the stumpjumper, and I don't want to have that feeling on my next DH bike. The size large furious has 440mm reach. Would I be better off sticking to closer numbers to my trail bike, or sizing up and shortening the stem if it feels too long?

iám a 180cm's and got a large and it feels perfect. a medium would have for sure bean to small

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 8:58 Quote
I just got mine in last week. It's a medium and I'm 5'9". I'm really happy with the size I went with. I feel like it will be super playful. I was riding a 2007 demo 7 before, and the furious feels a lot more natural to me. I would love to try a large and see the difference but I think the medium will best suit my riding style.

Posted: Jun 2, 2018 at 16:54 Quote
1 year amp a few upgrades later

Thought I'd post my Furious as well as some settings for anyone around my size:

-6'3 (188cm) 200-210lbs (90-95kg)
-2017 size large (could've easily gone with a XL but I prefer a slightly smaller fit, it doesn't feel too cramped for me at all)
-Fox x2: 230psi with all 5 volume spacers, HS/LS compression at Fox's recommended base settings for 230psi with a couple more clicks of HS compression and slightly faster LS rebound.
-Marzo 380ti: stiff (6.5nm) ti spring. 3-4 clicks of spring preload as well as 3-4 for HS/LS compression.

Side note: has anyone gone about replacing the bearings in their frames yet? I noticed Commencal Doesn't list a bearing kit for the Furious yet. Mine are still good but after this season I will probably replace them as good preventive maintenance.

Also for anyone who bought a Furious in early 2017 keep an eye on your Derailleur hanger. The original designs machining on the back left a super thin section of metal which ended up cracking, despite never having hit my derailleur on anything. I ordered a replacement hanger and the new one has been updated with more material on the backside so they seemed to have noticed the issue and fixed it.

Posted: Jun 3, 2018 at 11:38 Quote
Hi bricepiwek,
here's a link for the bike's bearings
https://tech.commencal.com/bike/FURIOUS-ORIGIN-650B-BLACK-2018/308.html
Very nice furious tup

Posted: Jun 3, 2018 at 15:59 Quote
Cricri68 wrote:
Hi bricepiwek,
here's a link for the bike's bearings
https://tech.commencal.com/bike/FURIOUS-ORIGIN-650B-BLACK-2018/308.html
Very nice furious tup

Awesome! Thanks man!

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 12:13 Quote
brycepiwek wrote:

Thought I'd post my Furious...

Also for anyone who bought a Furious in early 2017 keep an eye on your Derailleur hanger. The original designs machining on the back left a super thin section of metal which ended up cracking, despite never having hit my derailleur on anything. I ordered a replacement hanger and the new one has been updated with more material on the backside so they seemed to have noticed the issue and fixed it.

Mine broke first ride out after the bike slipped out. But the replacement is super sturdy. Definitely an annoying thing to have happen

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 1:18 Quote
brycepiwek wrote:

Thought I'd post my Furious as well as some settings for anyone around my size:

-6'3 (188cm) 200-210lbs (90-95kg)
-2017 size large (could've easily gone with a XL but I prefer a slightly smaller fit, it doesn't feel too cramped for me at all)
-Fox x2: 230psi with all 5 volume spacers, HS/LS compression at Fox's recommended base settings for 230psi with a couple more clicks of HS compression and slightly faster LS rebound.
-Marzo 380ti: stiff (6.5nm) ti spring. 3-4 clicks of spring preload as well as 3-4 for HS/LS compression.

Oh wow! That is the best looking Furious i have seen. The color combination is fantastic!

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 2:26 Quote
Old photo, back when I first got this beast.

Huge fan of the brushed alloy look, Fox Factory gear sets it off nicely.
Owned for almost a year now, never skipped a beat, jumps like a champion and loves the steep trails too.

Wanting to upgrade some parts soon, might remove the Sram junk and deck it out with Saint.

Rude rock

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 15:30 Quote
Does anybody who weighs 165 pounds want to chime in on what Spring felt good, 400 LB?

Or if anybody has a 250 x 75 air shock they want to sell please PM me

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
I’m gonna get the furious in size medium, just a matter of what year. I’m not a racer at all, purely park/free ride. The 2019 reach on the medium is 430mm and the reach in the 2018 is 415mm, I’m 5’9. My current trail bike is 432mm, not sure on what the relation of reach between dh and trail bikes should be.
Kinda stumped of what to do... Anyone with experience on either would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
How exactly did they update the bike to 2019 with a longer reach?

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
How exactly did they update the bike to 2019 with a longer reach?

All numbers are the same except reach is +15mm on all sizes, inherently wheelbase is +15mm on all sizes

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
So they extended the top tube for 2019 and didn't say anything about it? Or did they just mis-type last years measurement chart?

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
So they extended the top tube for 2019 and didn't say anything about it? Or did they just mis-type last years measurement chart?

Extended it an didn’t tell anyone. I called the store in Golden, CO and the staff confirmed it. The numbers charts for 18’ and 19’ are both on their website.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023666
Mobile Version of Website