Can anyone please help

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 10:16 Quote
Hello people of Pinkbike I need a bit of help. I have finally convinced my other half that a new bike would be a good idea so I am currently hunting the internet bike shops. My problem is I am currently using an old cannondale gemini as my trail bike, good on the downs but bloody awful when you have to pedal. So I am looking for a bike with no less than 150mm travel front and back would consider less but would have to be an outstanding bike. Because the Cannondale pedal so badly I am prepared to have to work for my downs however I would like something that can make the ups not so soul destroying as they are at the moment. I have managed to narrow my choices to

1 - Specialized endure comp
2 - Specialized Stumpjumper comp
3 - Giant Reign 2
4 - Nukeproof Mega Comp

Don't really want to spend more than £3000 on a bike otherwise she'll kill me. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? I know they wont pedal great for as they are longer travel bikes but got to better that what i have to put up with at the moment. Also i am open to any suggestions the you may have.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 10:56 Quote
quickhips wrote:
Hello people of Pinkbike I need a bit of help. I have finally convinced my other half that a new bike would be a good idea so I am currently hunting the internet bike shops. My problem is I am currently using an old cannondale gemini as my trail bike, good on the downs but bloody awful when you have to pedal. So I am looking for a bike with no less than 150mm travel front and back would consider less but would have to be an outstanding bike. Because the Cannondale pedal so badly I am prepared to have to work for my downs however I would like something that can make the ups not so soul destroying as they are at the moment. I have managed to narrow my choices to

1 - Specialized endure comp
2 - Specialized Stumpjumper comp
3 - Giant Reign 2
4 - Nukeproof Mega Comp

Don't really want to spend more than £3000 on a bike otherwise she'll kill me. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? I know they wont pedal great for as they are longer travel bikes but got to better that what i have to put up with at the moment. Also i am open to any suggestions the you may have.

I am getting ready to buy a new bike and have demo'd a bunch of bikes over the last six months. Never tried a Nukeproof, but both Specialized are good bikes, as is the Reign,, Also the new Trance 140 rear 150 front is great. Also the Santa Cruz Bronson, Salsa Redpoint, are good. I did not care for the Pivot 529 or the Firebird, but they are well built and I know people that love them.

I didn't get a change to try the Pivot Switchblade, but did try the Canondale bad habit and it was much better than I expected. I also tried the Kona Process but it seems to be designed for someone more aggressive then me, I found it a bit harsh, like it wanted me to hit everything harder.

After all my testing I plan on buying Giant Trance, but it is pretty flat around here, if I had a few more down hills I would get the Giant Reign. Either way I may end up buying the Salsa Rustler 2 handlebars (they come standard on the Redpoint) they have slightly more backsweep then most bars and felt better to me.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 11:10 Quote
I just upgraded from a 2003 Gemini 900 to the YT Jeffsy. I've been extremely happy with the Jeffsy, it is more capable both up and down. My Gemini feels terrible after riding the Jeffsy. The Jeffsy is only 140mm travel, but it feels like more. You wouldn't miss the extra travel of the Gemini with a more modern suspended bike.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 11:42 Quote
Thanks for the replies. I have pretty much ruled out Santa Cruz as at my price range they don't come with a dropper post and it would have to have one for me to buy. Kona is unfortunately also out of my price range which is a shame. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do direct buy otherwise id be getting a canyon.I have a demo day lined up to try out the specialized in June

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 4:11 Quote
also been lookin for the same type of bike as you. worth checkin the trek remedy 8. bird
aeres 145. and whyte g160s. or whyte t130s. the whyte won bike of the year 2016. these are reccomendations iv had off people on ere with allot more knowladge than myself.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 8:36 Quote
DoubleJackOnTap wrote:
I just upgraded from a 2003 Gemini 900 to the YT Jeffsy. I've been extremely happy with the Jeffsy, it is more capable both up and down. My Gemini feels terrible after riding the Jeffsy. The Jeffsy is only 140mm travel, but it feels like more. You wouldn't miss the extra travel of the Gemini with a more modern suspended bike.

The two bike I have read good things about but have not been able to demo are the YT Jeffsy and the Foes Mixer. Both of these were high on my list of possible new bikes, but I won't buy anything I have not demo'd. Too many good bikes and they cost too much to take a chance I won't like it.

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 11:19 Quote
I have the giant reign 1 2016, its not a carbon bike so its cheaper while at the same time having much much better components than the reign 2. Don't get a reign 2 the components are pretty trash.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 18:06 Quote
hig4s wrote:
DoubleJackOnTap wrote:

The two bike I have read good things about but have not been able to demo are the YT Jeffsy and the Foes Mixer. Both of these were high on my list of possible new bikes, but I won't buy anything I have not demo'd. Too many good bikes and they cost too much to take a chance I won't like it.

Your lucky you have shops around that have demo programs. The only thing we can demo in my area is a Pivot Mach6. One of my friends has one, so I have no need to demo. Other than that I have to rely on reviews. Test rides in the parking lot don't tell me much other than fit. I knew I was taking a big risk ordering the YT, but it worked out well for me.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 10:48 Quote
I have the Bird 140 Running Xt drivetrain,Raceface,Hope 4 enduro wheel set,Lyrics 160mm,Zee brakes,monarch plus 150mm,150mm stealth dropper,

I went from a 13 Reign 2 which was upgraded till only frame was stock,loved the Reign but the Bird is night and day ahead of it,and for 2.8k it was over 1k cheaper than what the new reign would have been,It has been a revelation on the trails,

The have a big a big following in the UK, and farther afield except the USA

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009806
Mobile Version of Website